Music You've Been Listening To

Had a few listens. At first, I don’t think it’s as good as Unlimited Love but it seems like a solid album. 9 songs stand out, there are a couple I’d consider b-side material. Maybe if they’d released unlimited love as a double album with the 9 songs I personally rate, then it might have been an all time classic.

Cheers mate…I’ll give it a listen.

Posted on a music forum earlier. These are 9 songs that really stand out for me after a number of listens.

Tippa My Tongue
Reach Out …there is something in the vocal at one point that reminds me of, wait for it, Parasite by Kiss, on Kiss Alive!
Eddie
Fake as F@&$
Roulette
Afterlife
Shoot Me a Smile
Bag of Grins…my early favourite for sure
Carry Me Home

A few years ago I was bored mid-flight on a plane. Scrambling to kill time, I settled on an indie playlist in the in-flight entertainment, while I played chess or trivia or somesuch.

This was a band I never cared much for prior to hearing this track, but it somehow suited my mood at the time, and I re-played it several times. I still love it… great vocal performance…

Saw Butch live in HK in early 2007 when he toured with Clapton and Doyle Branhall 111. If you think he is melodic or that is your thing, you need to listen to some Peter Green.

Are you referencing the harmonica in this video?

No. Bonnie Raitt is another favourite. I saw here once in concert, somewhere in the St. Kilda area.

1 Like

David Bowie’s The Next Day - incredible comeback album. Sounds great.
RIP Bowie

@mrjez is looking to run the next Blonde DJ in early November and has asked that we get a show of interest (he’s gone camping for the weekend)

Let me know if you’re interested…either via PM or tag me in the DJ King Thread.

(Regulars of the thread will have already been tagged over there…unless I forgot you)

Feel free to ask any questions if you’ve not participated before

Linda singing Lowell, oh my. And in a jump suit no less. Hadn’t noted this before but one of the comments on this post points out she really stresses the “Mexico” line in this version, far more so than her other versions of the Lowell George classic. Personally love the way Linda embraced her Mexican heritage around this time, especially as it links in to the incomparable Lowell George, with whom she reportedly had, how shall we put this, a dalliance.

Here’s Linda in full Latino voice. The story goes her record company weren’t happy with this detour from her pop image but changed its tune when it sold like Mexican hotcakes.

1 Like

New Big Scary album is a very nice listen, these two make some very catchy tunes.

Grant McLennan’s Fireboy (1993)

2 Likes

Outstanding album. His solo debut, ‘Watershed’ (1991) is probably even better.

2 Likes

I like Manic Street Preachers.
Let me rephrase, I like Motorcycle Emptiness, Design For Life, and If You Tolerate This, which is pretty much all I’d heard from them until I came across this song.
And it feels fundamentally different to those three songs, and I couldn’t figure out what it was that got a repeat play from me…and then I thought…

It’s the most grandiose, over-produced, overwrought song the Hoodoo Gurus (n)ever did.
And now I’m seriously here for it.

1 Like

4 Likes

I implore anyone to checkout this Rocket Science Album. I was a huge fan of them in 00’s, were/are a great live band.

I hadn’t listened to this album in about 10 years, and it is so underrated. There is no doubt that if they were a British band, this album would have been a seriously big deal.

1 Like

I just had Drive Like Jehu on the headphones while washing the car. Man, I washed that sucker aggressively, it’s glistening now. This is a stunning, stellar track.

1 Like

This is an absolute ripper. One of the bands best.