Music You've Been Listening To

Just listened to Beyond Belief again.
It’s a real…nothing, perhaps even stupid song, but it sounds amazing.

More proof that the @BAAKKEERRRR Three Album Theory is rubbish.

I’ve been listening to a number of early Bob Seger albums today…and although they’re generally ok, not one of them is a patch on Night Moves or Stranger In Town (his 9th and 10th studio albums).

The only way the theory works if we get all pedantic and say that they are his first two albums with The Silver Bullet Band.

Any comments Mr @BAAKKEERRRR ?

Umm… all Bob Seger stuff is no good?

1 Like

I mean, I like indie, grunge, prog, electronic music (as opposed to EDM), rock, lo-fi and garage music just as much. Sometimes though, you just need to listen to a slab of polished, overproduced pop-rock.

I can listen to anything in that list happily… well, possibly bar Bonnie Tyler (though I never really cared for Meatloaf, and that’s a Meatloaf song in all except the lead vocals).

1 Like

Philistine

Yeah look, that was flippant… I’m not really qualified to comment. I really only know his “hits” (Against The Wind, Old Time Rock N Roll, Night Moves, We’ve Got Tonight, that awful thing he did for Beverley Hills Cop). They’re generally not terrible (except that bloody saccharine ballad which is vile), but none of them have moved me I’m afraid.

But wasn’t meatloaf (bat out of hell) just Todd Rundgren?

That does it…that’s one step too far…you’re officially moved to the “just acquaintances” list.

Was it me dissing the saccharine duet that did it?

Todd Rundgren produced BooH but the songs were all Jim Steinman (I think he also co-produced).

I think a lot of the same session musos played on Total Eclipse… It was offered to Meatloaf first and he declined.

2 Likes

I love all the songs from Night Moves and Stranger In Town.

Bob Seger was one of my big time favourites in the late 70s

(My mates actually used to call me Bob Seger…due to our similar hirsute appearances).

I know little to nought of Bob Seagers discography, but Ive always thought this song was pretty rockin…

2 Likes

…and let’s not forget this classic Norm gag…

1 Like

you take a piece of meat with you

1 Like

Now I’m reminded of this belter…

1 Like

Yeah I’ve got this lp and “Mongrel”, love the more hard rockin/garage/psych Bob Seger System releases.

You ever heard this? It’s definitely… something
I’m sure Billy greatly appreciated the royalties though, given how inexplicably big Paul Young was at the time…

Or even, God forbid, this…

Old mate just had an uncanny knack for taking great songs and taking a big, sloppy ■■■■ all over them…

1 Like

I was into Bob Seger’s music in the mid/late 70s but haven’t listened to him for decades now.

One of the albums I bought was this collection of cover versions, which I was led to believe at the time was relatively rare.

I didn’t know the Bragg one. Once the vocal comes in on LWTUA you’re just like, oh god no no please stop. Come Back And Stay is fine though, I liked that as a kid hearing it on the radio.

He never waited long, all these songs had only come out a short time earlier.

How’s Jack Lee? Never came close to having any sort of hit himself or with The Nerves, but scored big-time when others covered Hanging On The Telephone and Come Back And Stay

1 Like