Napthine to make Protests Illegal

Does protesting feed the starving? Does protesting achieve anything anymore?

Sorry for disturbing you Mr Burns.

The Mardi Gras seems to have made some inroads.
Took them thirty years, true, but still.

I'd say art and media (Music, film, television... Even reality televison), plus the addition of social media, have been a bigger influence than the mardi gras.
I'm not against public discourse, and I'm all for 'the people' making a stand.
There are just better, smarter and more effective ways than standing in a group and throwing stuff at cops. As society, we've evolved.
And boot... Shut up, or I'll release the hounds.

I will wait for the first arrest and conviction = Think I will be waiting many years.

Victoria; beautiful one day, Queensland the next.

Club house leader for post of the year

Does protesting feed the starving? Does protesting achieve anything anymore?

Awareness. It creates awareness.

Which also fails to do jack ■■■■ in the real world.

im guessing there doing this to stop the East West  Tunnel Protesters

The sad thing guys is that my generation make many changes happen by public protest. I protested against apartheid and the Vietnam War, for Gay Rights and Aboriginal Justice. Win some, lose some, but you win nothing without having your voice heard loudly. And of course, Stand by Hird was a protest.

Well old school protesting doesn’t do much anymore, today’s governments and corporations just try to ride it out.

That’s why people have had to become more radical, such as people getting overly violent at protests, and in the extreme cases carrying out terrorist attacks.

In some ways things like wiki leaks can allow us to support a cause from the comfort of our own loungeroom.

Well old school protesting doesn't do much anymore, today's governments and corporations just try to ride it out.
That's why people have had to become more radical, such as people getting overly violent at protests, and in the extreme cases carrying out terrorist attacks.
In some ways things like wiki leaks can allow us to support a cause from the comfort of our own loungeroom.

You are joking THT. Today's protestors are ■■■■■ cats compared to the hardcore lefties of the 1970's. I watched in awe as very small ladies went up against coppers on horses and bought more than one down. They were organized, prepared and very dedicated, to the overthrow of everything, I was just a little pissant on the fringe watching the show. And the police back then had no problem with cracking skulls and breaking arms.
Less radical today, without a mob of human rights lawyers to stand up in court. And after the cops gave you a severe beating in the cells, you did hard time in a real jail.
Oh for the good old days !!!

The current flavour of protestor seems to be one that'as prepared to spit in a cop's face or use ball bearings to ■■■■ up a horse but scream brutality any time said cop lays even the lightest finger on them.

In other words soft ■■■■■.

There's apparently work happening at the Western end of the freeway extension. Not a protestor in sight.

There's apparently work happening at the Western end of the freeway extension. Not a protestor in sight.

Of the east-west link?

I feel sorry for those who will be affected with this east-west link. There house will be destroyed and I doubt very much the government will be giving them the market rate plus pitch in for the other costs of moving/relocating etc. Then I think there was a case where a few people had either took out a loan to buy some land or a house there and now the banks are saying get stuffed so they have lost their deposits because of it.

And is the east-west link government built or private?

It's just such a pity that people in general don't take the time to inform themselves with fact & not spin instead of switching to their auto-cynicism mode.

Without protest the world would be a very different place.

But too many of us turn a blind eye because it doesn't affect us directly & we're too busy protecting our own patch.

Let's see. Now we can't protest, nor do we have the right to know what's happening in the new "war" against those pesky boat people.

Adolf would be proud.

Of the east-west link?

I feel sorry for those who will be affected with this east-west link. There house will be destroyed and I doubt very much the government will be giving them the market rate plus pitch in for the other costs of moving/relocating etc. Then I think there was a case where a few people had either took out a loan to buy some land or a house there and now the banks are saying get stuffed so they have lost their deposits because of it.

Mate of mine's folks live in a house that will be going. Got given Market rate + 20%

Of the east-west link?

Mate of mine's folks live in a house that will be going. Got given Market rate + 20%

Is that fair dinkum? Did they get a parasite (Real Estate agent) to value it?

Even still, if your mates parents are happy with it then fair enough. Stunned the government went that far with it.

Of the east-west link?

Is that fair dinkum? Did they get a parasite (Real Estate agent) to value it?

Even still, if your mates parents are happy with it then fair enough. Stunned the government went that far with it.

They are upset about having to leave their home but do belive they are being compo'd fairly.

Well old school protesting doesn't do much anymore, today's governments and corporations just try to ride it out.
That's why people have had to become more radical, such as people getting overly violent at protests, and in the extreme cases carrying out terrorist attacks.

You are joking THT. Today's protestors are ***** cats compared to the hardcore lefties of the 1970's. I watched in awe as very small ladies went up against coppers on horses and bought more than one down. They were organized, prepared and very dedicated, to the overthrow of everything, I was just a little pissant on the fringe watching the show. And the police back then had no problem with cracking skulls and breaking arms.
Less radical today, without a mob of human rights lawyers to stand up in court. And after the cops gave you a severe beating in the cells, you did hard time in a real jail.

Did you have to walk 20 miles through the snow barefoot to get to the protest? :P

You are joking THT. Today's protestors are ***** cats compared to the hardcore lefties of the 1970's. I watched in awe as very small ladies went up against coppers on horses and bought more than one down. They were organized, prepared and very dedicated, to the overthrow of everything, I was just a little pissant on the fringe watching the show. And the police back then had no problem with cracking skulls and breaking arms.

what im saying is, in years gone by that ■■■■ really meant something. now governments know that people lose interest very quickly.

and back in your day, i dont think people were blowing themselves up at such a fantastic rate of as in the middle east. probably less mass shootings, probably less guerilla warfare in places too.

now governments dont give a ■■■■, about that stuff, 

what im saying is, in years gone by that **** really meant something. now governments know that people lose interest very quickly.

and back in your day, i dont think people were blowing themselves up at such a fantastic rate of as in the middle east. probably less mass shootings, probably less guerilla warfare in places too.

now governments dont give a fark, about that stuff, 

To be fair, you're comparing a freeway to conscription.

what im saying is, in years gone by that **** really meant something. now governments know that people lose interest very quickly.

now governments dont give a fark, about that stuff, 

To be fair, you're comparing a freeway to conscription.

Nothing like seeing middle aged housewives roll marbles under the feet of police horses to bring them down.

Ah, the anti aparthied demonstrations.

Vietnam had massive numbers, but anti aparthied was just wild stuff.

Oh, and fark the springboks!