Napthine to make Protests Illegal

Napthine is about to make changes to the Summary Offences Act which will make direct protests ILLEGAL. The change will take effect on February 3rd. From what I am hearing you can get 2 years in prison if you protests in a protected zone.

You get 3 move-ons then jail for two years under changes to Summary Offences Act in Victoria.

Granted I am getting this from a source and it most likely won't get much press since Murdoch owns most of it.

This is what you get for voting in a conservative.

http://tex.parliament.vic.gov.au/bin/texhtmlt?form=jVicHansard.dumpall&db=hansard91&dodraft=0&house=ASSEMBLY&speech=49128&activity=Statement+of+Compatibility&title=SUMMARY+OFFENCES+AND+SENTENCING+AMENDMENT+BILL+2013&date1=12&date2=December&date3=2013&query=true%0A%09and+%28+data+contains+%27%22summary+offences+act%22%27+%29

There is the link to the changes.

Would want to see the fine print.

What is it...freedom of...congregation?  It's a thing.  It should be a thing.

But not on a freeway.

Would want to see the fine print.

What is it...freedom of...congregation?  It's a thing.  It should be a thing.

But not on a freeway.

Will update the initial post as I get more information.

There most likely will not be any formal reports in the media until after the new law is passed.

If it stops these idiots setting up a drum circle on alexandra pde I am all for it.

Wow. There goes the tent embassy

Unless you are overthrowing a government, is protesting even relevant these days? The internet and social media allows large groups of people to demonstrate their displeasure on any given topic, without having to leave their house. 

So unless it's a serious, life-or-death type measure, it's just a waste of time and an excuse for some attempted anarchy.  

I can understand people's displeasure at being moved out of residences that they've lived in for decades but it's the professional protesters amongst them that's intolerable. These same idiots will roll up to any protest on any day except Centrelink payment day. I have no idea what the Govt put on the table as far as payouts are concerned but you could probably guarantee that these people won't be able to live in the same area again without remortgaging. Protesting is a right but this one is pointless. It's said the squeaky wheel gets the oil. This one is being removed.

That'll learn those bikies!

Oh...

Victoria; beautiful one day, Queensland the next.

Just one hour ahead.

There needs to be multiple levels of likeness buttons. I did REALLY like this :-)

Typical Liberal Party Anti-Union legislation.

Will be overturned by Andrews.

Typical Liberal Party Anti-Union legislation.
Will be overturned by Andrews.

Well Nick, I was always confident that Gough would honour his commitments in 1972 and stop conscription, call off ASIO and bring the troops home from Vietnam, but sadly our subsequent Leaders have poor record for doing what is right and just. Hope you are correct about Daniel Andrews, but my levels of trust of these "populist" brand of Leaders with small balls have diminished of recent times.

Unless you are overthrowing a government, is protesting even relevant these days? The internet and social media allows large groups of people to demonstrate their displeasure on any given topic, without having to leave their house. 

So unless it's a serious, life-or-death type measure, it's just a waste of time and an excuse for some attempted anarchy.  

pretty much all protests seem to be these days.

protesting is one thing, disruptive behaviour under the guise of protesting is a joke.

Was the Stand By Hird campaign effectively a protest?

Maybe if somebody had actually chained themselves to Hird it would qualify.

Maybe if somebody had actually chained themselves to Hird it would qualify.

You only had to ask ;-)

pretty much all protests seem to be these days.

protesting is one thing, disruptive behaviour under the guise of protesting is a joke.

I disagree with this enough.

Socially acceptable protest is okay (as long as it doesn't annoy the powerful)?

Click like to feed the starving?

Yeah-nah.

Does protesting feed the starving? Does protesting achieve anything anymore?

The Mardi Gras seems to have made some inroads.

Took them thirty years, true, but still.