Neale Daniher - MND - Big Freeze 2 - Monday 13 June

I have made the challenge to the essendon football club and supporters for the ice cold challenge. Let's get it going.

i guess they heard you:

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/video/2014-08-19/btv-mnd-ice-bucket-challenge-august-19-2014

lol at that vid - watch melk dump his bucket on zaka and try and slip out the back unscathed - Bags is having none of it and makes sure melk cops his on the way out. nothing gets past bags.

also, life is a ■■■■■, ND is a class act. all the best to him and his family.

Very sad to hear this.

My dad was a fit 65 year old when we noticed him start to slur his words. A year later he was finally diagnosed with MND. Within 6 months of that he was dead.

My condolences.

I would like to make a suggestion.... that we on Bomberblitz auction off something of value like grand final tickets or something and all the money raised go to MND Organisation.
Come on please let's get it started I'll kick it off with $100. Fogdog where are you?

I've also been thinking about how we can show our support for Neale, maybe we could hold a blitz fundraising dinner, we may even be able to get a player or two to attend-if we ask nicely :)  or, because of Neale's link with both Essendon and Melbourne, we could have a forum footy match with scotty21 coaching us to victory :D ok, that's a long shot but the dinner might be a winner ;)

Truly a great moment for the club and Daniher family when they all got to play in a game together.

Typical Sheeds to make it happen !

Last Round 1990.

I’m guessing Neale probably wasn’t too far away from playing in the Grand Final.

Possibly an Emergency ?
202ae6a30f3551facd78903b54301fd7_zps5061

I'm guessing Neale probably wasn't too far away from playing in the Grand Final.
Possibly an Emergency ?

Memory isn‘t great but I don‘t think so. Round 22 was his last game ever, after 4 weeks out.

Having said that, he kicked 3.4 from 7 marks and 7 kicks!

AD had 27 (!) and 12 marks, CD 24 and 5 tackles, and TD 15, 7 marks, and 1 goal.

@ DJR

I can’t find the full line ups (incl.emerg) online, but I do have The Record packed in a box somewhere.

Hmmm, curious now.

I have the utmost respect for this man. His courage is nothing less than astounding. He, in choosing to face his fate in this unselfish way, still thinking of others in trying to promote awareness, support and research into this horrible, horrible disease.
May the rest of his days be filled with joy and love together with his family.

Very sad news indeed. Neale was a champion in the making. His knee injuries cost us a couple of flags l reckon. Not much difference between him and Terry on ability. TD got there through sheer hard work, ND had the polish, he was pure class. Now this terrible disease has come along and struck him, but he has responded in the way a Daniher would, straight on, not blinking. More power to him and all the clan at this time. 

https://getonbeard2014.everydayhero.com/au/daniherbrothers#post_326255

just bumping this to highlight the last post - Luke and Ben Daniher (Neale's sons) are raising money for MNDWA.  Their challenge finishes on 31 August, and they've raised a sensational amount of money.

If anyone is interested in donating, the link above takes you to their fundraising page. 

Here's an article about them:

<span style="font-size:18px;"><strong>Danihers ride bumps, hit back</strong></span>

429683905-19vilol.jpg?x=656&sig=QYNJJrYW

When Luke and Ben Daniher learnt their father's diagnosis last year, they did not know what motor neurone disease was.

They knew it was serious because their parents sat them down to deliver the news but like many people, they were not familiar with the terminal illness that kills one Australian every 12 hours.

As always, the Daniher brothers looked to their famous father Neale, 53, for leadership.

"When we found out, I think I said, 'I don't actually know what that is'," Ben, 20, said.

"We'd probably be lying if we said we weren't bothered by it but Dad really sets the example.

"He was a bit unlucky with his knees during his footy career as well but he just takes the hits and gets on with it.

"I've noticed no change in the way he goes about things."

The average life expectancy after diagnosis is 27 months. But for now, Neale still humbles his sons on the golf course every other weekend.

In recent months, Luke and Ben have joined their father in raising money and awareness for the MND Association of WA.

They have collected almost $18,000 through Get on Beard, an initiative a teammate of Ben's at Claremont Football Club started.

"I knew Dad had it at that point, so I thought, 'Why not do our bit to help'," Ben said.

"I needed to make sure Luke was on board because he's the one who can actually grow a good beard."

The brothers will shave on September 1 after the Get on Beard gala dinner at the Melbourne Hotel next Sunday.

Their fundraising efforts have coincided with an unprecedented global MND campaign called the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.

MND is also known as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.

The social media-driven campaign started in the US last month and has gone viral, raising an extraordinary amount of awareness and money.

The US ALS Association reportedly took $41.8 million in donations from July 29 to August 21.

Everyone from George W. Bush to Justin Bieber has taken the challenge before nominating high-profile friends.

In WA, Premier Colin Barnett, Formula 1 ace Daniel Ricciardo and the entire West Coast Eagles playing list have got in on the act.

MNDAWA executive officer Fionnula Franey said the campaign generated a level of awareness the MND community had only dreamed about.

"We've had about $25,000 this week when normally you might get a couple of hundred or maybe a thousand," she said. "The impact of it is phenomenal and people with MND are feeling like they're getting so much support."

Luke said it was brilliant to see so many people learning about MND. "Hopefully people keep digging deep and they can find a cure," he said.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/24794578/danihers-ride-bumps-hit-back/

Perth Blitzers:

http://events.ticketbooth.com.au/event/3880432/listing

Neale had a send-off in Perth and he's moving back to Melbourne.

Neale Daniher gets rousing send-off

Steve Butler

November 24, 2014, 5:31 am
	</div>

430446117-1a74l1j.jpg?x=656&sig=nWSBivsVFormer footy great Neale Daniher with West Coast players Nic Natanui, Darren Glass and Dean Cox at a Motor Neurone Disease fundraiser at the Stables Bar in Perth. Picture Mogens Johansen/The West Australian

AFL great Neale Daniher has hailed WA’s generosity of spirit and charity in a rousing Sunday session send-off yesterday that featured a who’s who of the State’s football identities.

Daniher, who is moving home to Melbourne to continue his fight against motor neurone disease, vowed to keep raising funds to help find cure for the insidious ailment.

The fundraiser he organised yesterday at The Stables bar, part-owned by former Essendon teammate Tony Buhagiar, added more than $50,000 to the cause.

Such is the esteem held for the former Bombers captain, Melbourne coach and football department guru for both West Coast and Fremantle at different times, the function was a cavalcade of sporting celebrity.

They ranged from Daniher's former Essendon teammates Bill Duckworth and Mark Harvey to former West Coast coaches John Worsfold and Ron Alexander and current boss Adam Simpson and his coaching team.

Also there were past Eagles greats Ross Glendinning, Peter Sumich, Don Pyke, Ashley Mc- Intosh, Darren Glass, Dean Cox and Drew Banfield, most of the club's current stars, inaugural Dockers coach Gerard Neesham and players such as Peter Mann and Matthew "Spider" Burton.

"It's been nearly 10 years all up here and I've had great support from the people of WA, especially both football clubs," Daniher said.

"People here are a great support for all sorts of charitable intentions and MND is obviously close to my heart, so it's nice to be able to leave MNDWA with some money before I head off.

"We need to help the really talented researchers out there.

"I'll do my bit and hopefully they can do theirs and find a cure.

"It's been a great turnout and a great little party before I head back to Melbourne.

"I've really enjoyed my time here professionally and also personally. It's been a great place to live and I'll really miss it."

Daniher said he hoped to still work part-time in football in Melbourne.

Alexander worked with Daniher during Fremantle's first four years in the AFL and described his travelling roommate as a rare person of inspiration.

"We all know Neale is a great fella who is very generous with his time and good company," Alexander said.

"He is a particularly interesting guy with significant qualifications, but he's also someone who is very level-headed and with a great attitude to life. He gets the perspective to things.

"He is very thoughtful and being in his company, you're with someone who is one of the world's better individuals.

"He's got a challenge on his hands and the way he's handling it is a credit to him.

"I love him."

To donate or for support go to mndawa.asn.au

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/latest/a/25592599/neale-daniher-gets-rousing-send-off/

My all time Essendon champion won games off his own boot from the Backline. Cut down in his prime by dodgy knees. Him and Hirdy are the best bomber players i have witnessed in my 46 years of being a payed up member not just a bomber fan. By the way i am 58 years young. I have physically missed 30 odd games in 46 years...... So i have seen some great payers in my time......

Will the EFC or BB get behind a fund raiser for Neale Daniher and MND? 

In about 3 weeks, following the tribunal hearing, we'll be getting together for the celebration to end all celebrations. We could make this charity our cause for the night.

In about 3 weeks, following the tribunal hearing, we'll be getting together for the celebration to end all celebrations. We could make this charity our cause for the night.

This is a brilliant idea. I'm up for it.

I'm guessing Neale probably wasn't too far away from playing in the Grand Final.
Possibly an Emergency ?

Memory isn‘t great but I don‘t think so. Round 22 was his last game ever, after 4 weeks out.

Having said that, he kicked 3.4 from 7 marks and 7 kicks!

AD had 27 (!) and 12 marks, CD 24 and 5 tackles, and TD 15, 7 marks, and 1 goal.

@ DJR
I can't find the full line ups (incl.emerg) online, but I do have The Record packed in a box somewhere.
Hmmm, curious now.

Just for the record (no pun intended), the emergencies were Bailey, Flood and Werner. (To save you rummaging through boxes bltn, all records have been scanned and are available at the State Library Vic.) Mind you, flicking through the 1990 GF record is not good for the soul.

As for a Melbourne MND fundraiser, I'd be there with bells on.

Only Jon Anderson’s team. Won’t be the official team. Surprised JA didn’t have Ablett in there!

Congratulations to Neale. He was a beautiful player to watch, beautifully balanced, and could win a game off his own boot. I remember the game against Carltank at Princess Park when Neale was moved from CHB to CHF with about 5 minutes to go and kicked 3? goals and we won, again.
(I think it was the same game that Fitzpatrick was pinged for holding the ball.) Great memories.
Shame about his injuries, would have been good to see what he really could have done.

Neale Daniher…
The Daniher who was always discussed in lower, more serious tones.
Always in the context of:
a. ‘easily the best’ Daniher and
b. ‘Cruelled by injury’ ‘what if…?’ etc