Nelson Mandela passes away

Staff Writers

• November 20, 201311:19AM

672995-dd3ecdf4-51a4-11e3-9447-447e09e04

The global icon was declared dead in a statement by South African president Jacob Zuma.

One of the world's most revered figures, Mandela had been in and out of hospital since last year with lung-related complications. He died at home surrounded by family at 8.50pm South African time.

"He is now resting ... he is now at peace,'' a sombre Zuma said. "Our nation has lost its greatest son.''

He described Mandela as a man who "brought South Africans together".

All South African flags will be lowered to half mast until after Mandela's state funeral, he said.

Gallery: The life and times of Nelson Mandela

His Johannesburg home in the up-market Houghton suburb had been reconfigured for him to receive intensive care.

In late November, his former wife Winnie Madikizela-Mandela revealed the former president was unable to speak and used facial expressions to communicate.

She said he was not on life support but was no longer talking "because of all the tubes that are in his mouth to clear (fluid from) the lungs" and prevent infection returning.

Mandela, who spent 27 years in jail during the apartheid era before becoming South Africa's first black leader, was discharged from hospital to his home in a critical condition on September 1.

A globally admired figure for steering his nation peacefully into democracy, his health problems had already prompted outpourings of well wishes around the world.

His passing will be particularly felt at home though where he remained a symbol of unity, despite having been out of the public eye for several years.

Mandela served one term as president after he became the nation's first leader elected in all-race polls in 1994.

He had walked free from prison in 1990.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott paid tribute to Mr Mandela shortly after the news of his passing.

Mr Abbott said while he had never met Mr Mandela, he thought he was an extraordinary man.

"Nelson Mandela was one of the great figures of Africa … and arguably one of the great figures of the century," Mr Abbott told 3AW's Neil Mitchell.

"A truly great man.

"While I never met him I did read that book A Long Walk to Freedom and the impression I got of Nelson Mandela is that he was someone who suffered but was not bitter but enabled by that suffering."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/death-of-a-global-icon-nelson-mandela-dies-at-home-in-south-africa/story-fni0xqll-1226776673022

laters!

A great man.

Sad. R.I.P. Nelson

The world is certainly a lesser place with the passing of Nelson Mandela. He was truly a great human and he will be greatly missed.

Visiting his prison cell on Robben Island is something I will never forget. To see how horrible the conditions would have been and hearing the stories from former prisoners made me appreciate how lucky we are to have our freedom. He spent 20 years in a concrete cell that measured 2.4m x 2.1m – which considering he is 183cm tall is tiny.

RIP Nelson.

He has been a hero of mine for decades. There was a time when l despaired that he would ever walk free again. l threw a party when he was released from prison. His release showed that there was some hope for South Africa to have a future that wasn't based on continual subjugation of its original people. l knew that he would become president and lead his country in an inspirational way. Long may he be remembered and his contribution to the world appreciated. Rest in Peace, your long walk is over, while others continue in your footsteps.

Jeez we better get this thread more replies than the Paul Walker one

Some (or alot) in the Walker thread are either jokes or just criticising the outpouring as it was clear he was speeding.

All those Chuck Norris jokes should really have beeen about Nelson.

Would have been excused for getting square.

Some (or alot) in the Walker thread are either jokes or just criticising the outpouring as it was clear he was speeding.

Actually Walker was not even driving so hard for him specifically to be speeding or dying at his own hands.

As for Mandela: he was a great man to be sure and did much for "freedom".  A pity that SA still has not found a way out of the quagmire of segregation and inequality for the vast majoirty of blacks.

Actually Walker was not even driving so hard for him specifically to be speeding or dying at his own hands.

As for Mandela: he was a great man to be sure and did much for "freedom".  A pity that SA still has not found a way out of the quagmire of segregation and inequality for the vast majoirty of blacks.

It take more than one man to do it. And no matter how much you preach and how much the "politicians" say that everyone is free, segregation will always be there, it's just better hidden.

Would have been excused for getting square.

Yep. Instead he demonstrated super-human levels of forgiveness.
Contender from the greatest person in living memory.

Also, if you’re keen on firing up the blood, visit the Andrew Bolt blog to learn a little more about Mandela.

Here’s a sample, complete with Godwin’s Law: When he was arrested he was a terrorist. The ABC are now referring to him as an “activist”. Soon they will be calling Hitler a humanitarian.

Fuckwits.

Give them a break. Barely been a generation.

Also, if you're keen on firing up the blood, visit the Andrew Bolt blog to learn a little more about Mandela.
Here's a sample, complete with Godwin's Law: When he was arrested he was a terrorist. The ABC are now referring to him as an "activist". Soon they will be calling Hitler a humanitarian.
farkwits.

Can't/won't do it.

there are a number of great books detailing this great mans life that are well worth the effort to read , simply an extraordinary man

One of the greatest people that has ever graced the earth.

He fought for what was right and paid the price for it and yet he forgave those that did it. I honestly do not know if I or anyone I know could have done that.

Rest in Peace Mr Mandela

We all have so much to learn from this man. World seems a little colder and a lot poorer tonight.

My heart is filled with sadness at the death of Nelson Mandela. He was, to me, the greatest leader of the 20th century. He was sentenced to life imprisonment because he was fighting the apartheid regime in his country. He spent 27 years in Robben Island prison for the offence of attemping to gain fair rights for his people and to overthrow the evil system of apartheid that was proclaimed in his country by the whites only elected government.
In his time in prison, he maintained his dignity and would not agree to being released unless his people were released from the tyranny of apartheid.
Australia can claim some pride in achieving change on this front when Gough Whitlam banned sporting sides selected on the basis of race from visiting Australia. Malcolm Fraser visited Madiba in jail on Robben Island and Mandela asked Fraser if Don Bradman was still alive. Mal replied that he was still alive and kicking. The next time Fraser visited he brought a bat signed by the Don.
Australian governments of both persuasions lobbied fortrade sanctions against South Africa but were meeting resistance from Thatcher and Reagan. Both these leaders were out of office in the late 1980's and the pressure on South Africa mounted. P.W. Botha (SA PM) ( a disgusting human being) watched as South Africa was on the brink of turmoil. Botha lost the confidence of the "whites" and they turned to F. W. de Klerk. He promised to release Mandela. He won an election in which whites only could vote on that promise. He won in a landslide.
I well remember that late night watching TV of Mandela's release. I could understand if he was furious with his incarceration and would seek revenge. But no... he displayed humility that, given his ordeal was extraordinary. I must admit I had tears rolling down my cheeks when I saw his first interview and the fact that he bore no malice to his oppressors had a profound effect on me.
Madiba, I am not sure if a more humble or loving man has ever worked the face of this earth. I salute you.