New Kitchen Appliances- Kitchen Reno

Get a fully integrated dishwasher. We have a Smeg one and it’s been great. Also it doesn’t stand out in the kitchen as you just put a cupboard door in front of it and it blends right in.

That’s the fridge we have. Also been brilliant.

And that’s the range hood we went with too.

Oh and check out appliances online. I saved a krap load buying through them.

my ice maker/water is the best thing ever.

2 Likes

I’m glad yours works, maybe others have ■■■■■■ quality ones.

So, the long and short of my advice is; don’t pay attention to whatever I say.

1 Like

Yes one would hope :slight_smile:

I’ve also spent many years demonstrating domestic appliances

And fourthly, Port Fairy town water is terrible.

What? Demonstrating women?

Couldn’t help myself.

DONT GET STAINLESS STEEL COOKTOP. Ours scratches at the slightest touch.

Miele gas cooktop has been decent.

Miele oven has been ok, but $94 to replace a globe that’s the size of a tic tac, it has two of them.

Bosch dishwasher has been really good, so we ended up getting a Bosch clothes washer, which my domestic partner seems to enjoy using.

I got the Schwegin range hood, paid extra for a second motor as it has a long draw. It’s silent, but I don’t think it extracts as much as I thought it was going to.

A quiet, yet effective (pimp to outside) exhaust fan is critical if you ask me.

I’ve got a Samsung French door fridge/freezer with water and ice. Love it!

I also have a Smeg free standing oven/hot plates. It looks really nice but it’s a bit annoying to clean and the hotplate dials feel light and cheap. Which is a shame because it was total opposite of that.

Smeg integrated dishwasher has been perfect.

My Smeg dishwasher has just packed it in, hopefully just requiring a service.

Wow thanks for all the advice, plenty of food for thought.

Will look at BOSCH seems a popular opinion,

Oven still not sure whether to go high end like SMEG or not will have a look see in person.

Fridge to ice or not that is the question.

Thanks again!

Replacing the kitchen sink? Make sure to get dual cavities if space afford it. Só much easier for washing and drying. Dont get the trendy single sinks in kitchens…

Seriously a standard 500 dollar dishwasher is going to do the job. Not a fancy brand? Spend the saved money on carpentry to hide it. I do reckon the models with the cutlery as a draw on top go well.

When your cooking as already mentioned. Bench space and good knives.

Electric ovens I think have a more reliable heat.

1 Like

Don’t fark around, just get Bosch stuff, you’ll never be disappointed. The lowest level Bosch appliances are better quality than most other companies premium brands. Just buy Bosch and never look back.

1 Like

We just did our kitchen and found that subscribing to Choice Magazine was a very valuable resource. They’ve tested just about everything and give you all the pros and cons and what to look out for.

2 Likes

If you’re a drinker it’s a no brainer.

1 Like

Asko or Bosch for the dishwasher.
We’ve had a couple of Miele dishwashers and really they very expensive and don’t last as long.
IMO

1 Like

I know they’re costly but have a hunt around and see if you can find a second hand AGA. Perfect for the Tassie climate… will heat your house and your hot water … magical to cook on and would look perfect in your style of house.

I second that!

At the last house we owned the previous owners had installed an Aga. It was about 20 years old and needed a service, but then worked perfectly. We were worried that it would be difficult to use but in fact it couldn’t have been easier, and one of the things I most regretted about leaving that house was leaving the Aga. Nothing else comes close.

You need to be a bit careful now. They’ve changed. The old ones had a single heat source which distributed the heat to the ovens and hotplates. They now have a much larger range of cookers and some of them are basically ordinary cookers that look old-fashioned. They are also prohibitively expensive: for a proper one they start at $25,000. If you can find a second hand one you’ll need to check its history and condition.

Ours was gas and didn’t add too much to our gas bill despite being permanently on.

The cats loved it.

I bought one from south Australia that sat in and old couples shed for ten years. AGA Australia sent someone over to check we had it all installed correctly. Was the best money I ever spent.

1 Like

What did you pay for it, if I may ask? I’ve just looked on Gumtree and there’s a 4 oven electric from 2008 that they’re asking $9K for. At the other extreme there’s a wood-fired one from pre-1972 for $250.

Lol $600… cost $1000 to transport it to Tassie… then about another $1000 to get it up and running … never missed a beat after that.

Just had a look on gumtree… that cheapie is exactly the same as mine

5 Likes