NHL thread

Already too many teams in Canada and can’t see Portland getting one with Seattle just kicking off.
Houston would be the logical choice

They were garbage and a money pit the first time around. If and I say a big if Canada gets another side I reckon Hamilton is a better shot

Would be great if a second team
was based in Toronto.

Than i could hate 1 local team & despise the other…

1 Like

They won a cup their first season in Denver so at least on ice they were turning things around.

The whole monolingual thing in Quebec City would still hurt them.

The Lindros trade turned them around and won the Cup for the Avs

TheHockeyGuy says Houston, Kansas City or Salt Lake City.

Also says zero chance of Quebec, as that would require an East team to move into the Western Conference (and the candidates in Detroit and Columbus say no).

Correct about the East v West realignment.
KC doesn’t make a lot of sense with the Blues being well established in Missouri. Utah perhaps is ok but I just think Houston is the best fit

Kansas City had the Scouts in the 70s but they were not terribly successful there, or in Denver. It has worked out pretty well for them in New Jersey, though.

Houston had a WHA team so that’s not as far-fetched as it sounds.

The Scouts only lasted 2 years and just couldn’t attract crowds. I can’t see it being successful a second time either as the Blues are well settled and supported

Was that really an issue for them the first time though?

I know Montreal at one time would not hire any non-Francophone coaches but I think they moved beyond that.

It was one of the main reasons Lindros didn’t want to go there.

My recollection is Lindros had more of a beef with the size of the market and also had a ■■■■■■ on the Nordiques’ owner, although both of those things could have been smokescreens.

The irony is that Lindros eventually married a bilingual woman from Montreal.

ANNOUNCE TRIPLE OVERTIME

■■■■■■■ hell its nearly 1am and this game is still going

I think thats tied into it. He didn’t see much potential for endorsements and advertising in the French Speaking market.

It’s been brilliant, both just going toe to toe in a fantastic exhibition of hockey

Nope, my recollection was that he refused to play for them because the owner was a scumbag who faced sexual harassment charges.

1 Like

QUADRUPLE OVERTIME!!

Its after 1am!!!

Who needs a West Coast game when the East game goes for 5 hours!

Every few years there’s one of these. Always entertaining.

I stayed up to watch the Flyers-Penguins 5 OT game. Keith Primeau scored at about 2:30 am.

1 Like