Nick O'Kearney

I’m not the hugest fan of his as an AFL prospect, tbh. Needs to go prove it a bit in the VFL before I’d be taking him.

His disposal by foot isn’t a feature, and as Pevster says he plays it safe. As I learned from championing Ashby as a safe user through the u18s, blokes who use it safe at junior level suffer at higher level cos space and safe options are closed down faster and your margin for error is so much lower. If his kicking was good enough, he wouldn’t have to take safe options. I think he would really hurt in that department at the next level up.

Wallis I actually like a bit more cos I see a bit more upside in him - he’s been profoundly inconsistent so far, but his pace, cleanness of handling, and kicking give him an AFL-level ceiling. O’Kearney is ultra-consistent and disciplined and hard-working, but without a standout weapon, i’m not sure that gets him over the last hurdle. Consistent performers with ‘safe’ disposal and only average pace and size unfortunately end up in the VFL more often than not, where they get a second chance if they can prove they deserve it (and sometimes not even then, Adam Marcon says hi), while less consistent blokes with a couple of standout qualities stand a chance of being picked up late as a project by some club that thinks they can fix them and get a bargain. It’s certainly not fair, but it’;s the way it is.

He sounds like Ben Jolley mkII

I hope for his sake someone gives him a chance, i reckon he may well end up VFL next year as HM mentioned.

Bump.

In our VFL team now

5 Likes

Has clearly been our best. Not even 3 quarter time and he’s had 28 disposals and a goal.

1 Like

That’s a big bump,well done.

2 Likes

Didn’t see any vfl today but this guy dominates in the edfl for Keilor most weeks.

Bloody hell, apparently I wrote a couple of hundred words on this guy in 2015, and when he signed up with the VFL team this year I didn’t even recognise his name. Must be getting old(er)

7 Likes

There’s been some epic bumps on here lately.

Or there’s been a hundred, ultimately forgettable prospects in that period.

Does it say a bit about the current level of the VFL that a guy playing game 1 was nearly best on?

Well in defence of your rapidly diminishing mental capacity, your 200 word write up is basically that he’s an honest trier without anything special that separates him from the pack, which is about the least memorable type of player there can be.

Dylan Van Unen is the least memorable player we’ve had, you’d forget he was even on the field

1 Like

Who?

2 Likes

One too many trips to the Frankston backline from Dodoro there.

1 Like

Do you still have the same opinion ?