Nick O'Kearney

I really hope we give him a chance as a rookie.
This kid has been a jet all his career and in fact he also played senior EDFL footy as a 14yo.

Sure, there are some questions on his disposal but he gets a heap of the ball, runs all day and his effort and preparation can never be questioned.

He trained with us over summer last year and it would be a terrible shame if he missed out on AFL footy.

Local boy too.

1 Like

I don’t have access to the details but I heard that his combine results were bad. By bad I mean really bad. That may have influenced things.

For mine he was the hard luck story of the draft. I realised that he was an outside chance to get picked up in the ND long before last night, but I really believe in the kid. Every time I have watched him play he has stood out for his competitiveness and ball winning skills. I am afraid that after picking up Morgan and Parish and committing to Hams (with a chance of Tippa too), that a slight 181cm player isn’t really a major need for us. I just feel that he will make it given the opportunity!

I have no idea about him but there seems to be a clear direction of recruiting good users of the football only which suggests we are unlikely to go for him. I’m really happy with the recruiting decision as the opposition can’t hurt you if you’ve got the ball and aren’t turning it over.

I have no idea about him but there seems to be a clear direction of recruiting good users of the football only which suggests we are unlikely to go for him. I'm really happy with the recruiting decision as the opposition can't hurt you if you've got the ball and aren't turning it over.

He is a good user it’s just that he doesn’t have a penetrating kick and plays it too safe. He hits targets though.

I have no idea about him but there seems to be a clear direction of recruiting good users of the football only which suggests we are unlikely to go for him. I'm really happy with the recruiting decision as the opposition can't hurt you if you've got the ball and aren't turning it over.

This. I’m guessing this is what cost Mathieson last night when he was available around our pick.

Waiting on Pevster with some #percentiles

Theres no doubting the quality of this kid…umpiring him at under-16 level we gave him three votes at 1/2 time he was that dominant

What’s the story here? Why is he thread worthy?

What's the story here? Why is he thread worthy?
98th percentile in being-from-Essendon-area but only about 20th percentile in being-much-chop

NOK > NOB

A lot of people who saw him in the kids vs. VFL team game which was telecast thought he and Parish were the two who really stood up. We need inside mids. So he is probably worth the focus.

For those who have seen him it would be interesting to compare him to Wallis.

A lot of people who saw him in the kids vs. VFL team game which was telecast thought he and Parish were the two who really stood up. We need inside mids. So he is probably worth the focus.

I worry that Wallis may be a charity pick. I hope others on here that have seen more of him can persuade me otherwise. Would we really be investing in him if he wasn’t a father/son candidate?

I reckon

Getting Wallis - sounds like they’re pretty similar types, competitive nuggety mids, bit rough round the edges - probably played a part.

I worry that Wallis may be a charity pick. I hope others on here that have seen more of him can persuade me otherwise. Would we really be investing in him if he wasn’t a father/son candidate?

When have we ever extended Dean Wallis any charity? :wink:

I’d be worried if we were giving him a multi year deal or taking him in the first/second round (like we did with Anthony Long).
We’re not doing that, we’re taking him as a 4th round rookie pick & 1 year on 60k.
He’s a worthwhile gamble at that, can’t go too far wrong.

I wouldn’t call NOK ‘nuggety’ nor is he rough around the edges.
He has been a class act all through juniors.

Player comparison might be Ryan Bastinak or a lesser version of Brent Stanton.

All I know about him is he was in my best 3 in the 2 academy games I watched. I hear the other knock is ball use. He used it very well in those games, gots heaps of it, and had no trouble against men, unlike a lot of the academy players.

In the limited vision I have seen, I would be wrapped if we get him.

I wouldn't call NOK 'nuggety' nor is he rough around the edges. He has been a class act all through juniors.

Player comparison might be Ryan Bastinak or a lesser version of Brent Stanton.

Despite his size he is more inside then outside. Played along side Parrish in those games, he reads it every bit as well, and looked just as quick and agile to get through traffic. He just didn’t quiet have the pollish of Parrish, he used the ball well but was not as dangerous.

The celebrations in our change rooms when he pulled out late before we played Keilor in under 16s were remarkable. Pity Laverde and a few others had stitched us up royally by half time .

The celebrations in our change rooms when he pulled out late before we played Keilor in under 16s were remarkable. Pity Laverde and a few others had stitched us up royally by half time .

keilor, getting the best in the brimbank area since forever.