No more bets for Essendon

I like this a lot and good on them for not relying on betting agency partnerships for revenue.

EFC wagering decision

Simon Conway June 25, 2015 9:26 AM

Essendon Football Club has announced a decision to end commercial partnerships with betting and wagering agencies.

The Club acknowledges the move may cause some short-term financial pain, but says it’s focusing on strengthening relationships with other partners.

“This decision wasn’t made lightly, particularly with the revenue a wagering partner can deliver,” Essendon Chief Executive Xavier Campbell said.

“We have a fantastic group of commercial partners and we will be directing our energy to nurturing these existing relationships, as well as establishing new partnerships with like-minded companies.”

Sports betting agencies spent around $50 million on TV, radio and print advertising in 2013 according to a Nielsen study.

“We certainly respect the right of betting agencies to advertise in sport,” Campbell said.

“But as an industry we need to proactively monitor the way this message is delivered particularly given many of our fans are children.

“In forming this decision we also took into consideration the feeling of our membership base who have expressed a sense of concern.”

The Club is continuing to deliver record commercial revenues this season.

Membership is also approaching the 60,000 mark.

“We’re in a very strong position off the field,” Campbell said.

“Our commercial and fan base continues to demonstrate their amazing loyalty and resilience.”

Maybe dont overestimate the shortfall. The TVS is essentially complete and apparently mostly paid off, if thats the case, there should be lower expenses on the TVS and lower interest charges.
They say there are other sponsor opportunities they are looking at. Fine. The key guys on the board may not be so flash in a crisis, but they know how to run a business under normal conditions.

I doubt the club made this move without finding where the shortfall will be made up.

As Allblack said, the fact we made this more suggests they weren’t really a big player anyway.

However, what happens to the pokies at the social club? Do we still get proceeds from that?

As long as we are not losing out its fine. Im not too fussed about betting agencies sponsoring clubs, their money is as good as anyone elses, clubs have to survive some way

Found the SANFL Supporter! :stuck_out_tongue:

Just concerned, the short fall has to come from somewhere. The bottom line of the club means far more to me than some moral crusade against gambling. As long as the club isnt one cent worse off im ok with it

Absolutely a great move.

If it was millions they would be a major sponsor. Not a bit player.

Now they're going to bleed members even more dry to supplement the income lost.

This.

David Schwarz suggested that it was millions of dollars being forfeited. Get ready for fight pan 2.0

Next you’ll be telling me the AFL and gambling industry aren’t in favour of it.

This.

David Schwarz suggested that it was millions of dollars being forfeited. Get ready for fight pan 2.0

I'm happy. I put a pineapple on the chances of this happening when it was going at 20-1.

So does this mean you’ve now gone Troppo?

Watching a man go troppo is like watching a mango bananas.

I'm happy. I put a pineapple on the chances of this happening when it was going at 20-1.

So does this mean you’ve now gone Troppo?

Now they're going to bleed members even more dry to supplement augment the income lost.
Dont mention the "S" word round here ! :]

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Good onya Bombers, if we can ween ourselves off the pokies that will be something.

yeah happy with the move

AFL is a joke the way they try and discourage gambling, but then put a 10 minute video up on the AFL website with campbell brown and carey dedicated to betting

i like it, i like xavier

As long as we are not losing out its fine. Im not too fussed about betting agencies sponsoring clubs, their money is as good as anyone elses, clubs have to survive some way

Found the SANFL Supporter! :stuck_out_tongue:

Brokelads

Well done Bombers, gutsy decision. You can bet on my support…

What a great move.

I rate this as the club’s best move since moving to Docklands. Good work all.

…2…1. Fk me. You cannot be serious Pazza.

Docklands has made the club financially secure. That;s going to be prime reason why moving back to the MCG presents problems - the deal there, with Beyond Sport for example ensures a revenue stream that other clubs do not have.

You must have been in a coma in 2000 then…
Hint: We won something very important.
Hint 2: it wasn’t the Ansett Cup.

What does winning a Grand Final at the MCG (In fact, pretty sure we’ve won almost all of our GF’s at the MCG) have to do with the financial stability that Docklands offers us?

I’m happy. I put a pineapple on the chances of this happening when it was going at 20-1.

Nah the club’s just going to start making bets on our games.