No Official recognition of VFA premierships

What this is ultimately going to mean is that Port Adelaide and their successes in the SANFL, will see them the most successful club in the AFL is now stands. Essendon are now free to recognise the 1891-1894 premierships, taking our total to 20, 1 ahead of Carlton.

Geelong is free to acknowledge it’s 7 flags, which would see them climb to 16 joining Collingwood on that figure.

Footscray will also move upwards, from 1 to 10, should it choose to do so.

Fitzroy’s figure goes to 9 befor Brisbvane taking them over.

Richmond goes to 12, North Melbourne goes to 6, South Melbourne/Sydney goes to 9, Melbourne stay on 12 and St. Kilda stays on 1.

Port have about as much claim to recognised flags as Sturt.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-09/afl-knocks-back-cats-bid-for-extra-flags

What this is ultimately going to mean is that Port Adelaide and their successes in the SANFL, will see them the most successful club in the AFL is now stands. Essendon are now free to recognise the 1891-1894 premierships, taking our total to 20, 1 ahead of Carlton.

Geelong is free to acknowledge it’s 7 flags, which would see them climb to 16 joining Collingwood on that figure.

Footscray will also move upwards, from 1 to 10, should it choose to do so.

Fitzroy’s figure goes to 9 befor Brisbvane taking them over.

Richmond goes to 12, North Melbourne goes to 6, South Melbourne/Sydney goes to 9, Melbourne stay on 12 and St. Kilda stays on 1.

Huh. ?
The article says none of the these flags will be recognized.

Different article must have come across Pazza’s desk.

The key line is at the bottom where it says clubs can choose to recognise their premierships should they wish to and that includes Port Adelaide and ourselves.

For further verification:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-allows-clubs-to-include-vfa-flags-in-their-own-vflafl-premiership-records/news-story/9fdfca17a767ab95a47715e38511c1fa

Translation of AFL message: go away, we don’t care.

ok, so we choose not to recognise port’s flags.

It’s laughable that the AFL executive can tell any club and by extension, the fans, how they can recognise their own history or honour their own club.

if you played for one of these foundation clubs almost 150 years ago, laying the foundations for the game that it is today, your deeds go pretty much unrecognised. they should actually recognise these people as the pioneers of our game. There’s many great stories to be told.

I choose not to recognise the East Perth Eagles flags of 2000/01/02.

As Kevin Sheedy said in the call to arms;

Ridiculous.

I actually believe we should start the proper tally from 89 or 94 either when WCE joined or when it became the “AFL”, and go from there.

Flame away.

I actually believe we should start the proper tally from 89 or 94 either when WCE joined or when it became the "AFL", and go from there.

Flame away.

I think 2011 when GWS joined.

It became the AFL in 1990 but that is just a rebranding as west coast and Brisbane joined in 87.

The idea of vfa flags counting is ridiculous, as is sanfl flags. It’s not the same competition. Port can talk up their sanfl cups in their own history but why should the AFL recognise them in the competition they had no jurisdiction over?

I actually believe we should start the proper tally from 89 or 94 either when WCE joined or when it became the "AFL", and go from there.

Flame away.

I think 2011 when GWS joined.

2020 when we have a third Queensland team

It became the AFL in 1990 but that is just a rebranding as west coast and Brisbane joined in 87.

The idea of vfa flags counting is ridiculous, as is sanfl flags. It’s not the same competition. Port can talk up their sanfl cups in their own history but why should the AFL recognise them in the competition they had no jurisdiction over?

This is the ladder order from the VFA in 1896. Do you want to explain to me why the premiership from that year shouldn’t count while, for example, the flag from 1916 should?

Collingwood
South Melbourne
Essendon
Fitzroy
Melbourne
North Melbourne
Port Melbourne
Williamstown
Footscray
St Kilda
Geelong
Carlton
Richmond

No mention of Tallangatta Valley Football Club 89,94,97 and 98 flags in the TDFL?

Huh. Typical scumbag AFL.

This is the ladder order from the VFA in 1896. Do you want to explain to me why the premiership from that year shouldn’t count while, for example, the flag from 1916 should?

Collingwood
South Melbourne
Essendon
Fitzroy
Melbourne
North Melbourne
Port Melbourne
Williamstown
Footscray
St Kilda
Geelong
Carlton
Richmond

Because it pre dates the actual formation of the competition.

Collingwood
South Melbourne
Essendon
Fitzroy
Melbourne
North Melbourne
Port Melbourne
Williamstown
Footscray
St Kilda
Geelong
Carlton
Richmond

Because it pre dates the actual formation of the competition.

It’s a continuation of the premier league, just as the VFL was to the AFL.

And by the way, anyone who likes a post of mine and then directly argues against it is my kinda blitzer.

Edit: Oops. Yossarian and Stuka have very similar avatars.

But under a different governing body, the vfa continued and those premierships should be recognised in their history not the VFL/afl one