Northern Territory want an AFL team

We whinge enough about Essendon having to go to Perth twice. Don’t wanna even think about adding fkn Darwin to the mix.

I have been up in Darwin for the last year with work. No chance a team will happen up here in my opinion.

Lack of decent flights. Tiny population.

Footy is played in opposite seasons up here to allow cricket to use the ovals in dry season.

1 Like

And split what, 5 home games in Darwin, and 6 in GC: about 3000km, a state and a time zone away, not to mention in a completely different climate?
Sounds like a great way to build a club!
And presumably they’re going to pre-season in the GC, since it’s basially belting down in Darwin through to march or so.

As I understand it, part of the AFL aversion to putting teams in the NT, Canberra and Tassie was the virtual absence of major corporate sponsors. And the AFL decided that each mainland State capital should have two teams. Up in Queensland, where Australian Rules is not played in schools ( except for the recent initiative of some private schools giving it as an optional sport) it’s doomed to failure.
After all, Melbourne can only support one NRL team.

Totally doable, that’s how the thunder operate.

1 Like

Why not 2 in Darwin, 2 in cairns the rest on the GC

2 Likes

I reckon if it were to even be considered it would have to be based out of Alice.

I’d be more interested in seeing the Thunder move from the NEAFL to the SANFL or VFL first. Go from there

I think that’s a lot more likely than a Darwin team.

An AFL team in a town of 23k people.

Even for your standards, this is getting a bit silly.

The NT thunder play on the gold coast?

Tokyo, mofos!!!

The other thing I’d like to see would be the afl to reintroduce a national reserves competition.

But put in the thunder and a tassie team in that.

The thunder are the only non AFL reserves team to have won multiple NEAFL flags. Which is astounding considering how broadly their players live from each other.

1 Like

Weather wise yes. Population wise no.

Just can’t see it happening.

Why not the NHL or De Bundesliga?

No, but they spend half the season playing in Queensland and have a training base base there and often spend more of the week training their squad there than in the NT

Northern Territory Kangaroos kinda has a ring to it

1 Like

Now you’re just being an ■■■■.

I’m taking about best location from a climate perspective, nfs was talking about the flipped seasons in Darwin

I see now that training 1500km away from where you play is, indeed, a good idea.

Then why do a number of state schools have AFL posts? Why does PBC have an AFL program?

Afl is on the build up here (hell my best mate was a die hard league fan when I met him, now he watches 2-3 games a week and goes and watches the Suns a bit as well). More and more kids are playing Auskick, and joining a club. You won’t establish a foothold in a market by folding and putting your tail between your legs. Sydney gave away their fair share of free tickets too, now they are going ok.

Literally every Thunder team does that.

Spot being a ■■■■ Hap and actually contribute something constructive to how they can further their footy.

You didn’t read the OP article did you? It’s about trying to move footy forward in the state.