Not #39 - Heath Hocking

HOCKING%20Heath.png

Season Highlights
23 disps (11 kicks 12 hballs), 5 marks, 7 tackles and a goal in Rd 8 10-pt loss to Brisbane at Etihad Stadium (18 May 2013)

ALSO TATTS

HEATER

Are you absolutely sure that's not a pic of THE WEAP?

And a head as hard as a mule.

Great tagging this year.

Hard as a cats head but the important question is, what does his tatt say?

he is an important part of the side but in kinda of a weird way. Statistically he increases the efficiency of our centre square set ups more than anyone else but he isn't the worlds most effective tagger which is what he is asked to do most days.

it seems a paradox that he can not necessarily do that great a job at his assigned role but his contested work at stoppages ads so much that he makes us a much better team in any event.

i do wonder how he would go if we just let him off the leash and said play your own game. He is a good hard runner, his skills while not elite are neat and he uses it conservatively , he is courageous, attacks the pill as hard as anyone, is difficult to bring down and tackles like a ■■■■.

wouldn't mind seeing him change his tagging style a bit and play a little more as soft tagger who lines up shoulder to shoulder with his opponent and then just tries to beat him to the ball rather than trying to block his opponents run to the ball.

can't help but feel we have never got as much out of him as we could have and i think that comes down to coaching because it strikes me that heath is very team oriented and self sacrificing and would do exactly what is asked of him week in week out. give him a bit more freedom and see what happens, reckon the results could be favourable.

Tough, hard and integral in close.

Tough, heart and soul, gives his all , but a bit along the lines like Ivan, don't know what to think about Hocking. Some days you wonder whether its worthwhile sacrificing a more offensive option in the midfield with a tagger when the opposition is still getting 20+ touches.  Especially as he's part of the one-paced midfield or do you go with a quicker guy similar to Dempsey who has the pace to cover back quickly but also be an offensive threat.

fkg love this ■■■■

Very important player for us. There's something about this guy that I really, really like in a non football related way.

Tatt says endure I believe. 

Hard as a cats head but the important question is, what does his tatt the fox say?

Hard as a cats head but the important question is, what does his tatt the fox say?

you know what this means?

MrGuermo.png

No regerts

Very good year, was worried about his performance last year but was back to his best. Really important player, love him.

he is an important part of the side but in kinda of a weird way. Statistically he increases the efficiency of our centre square set ups more than anyone else but he isn't the worlds most effective tagger which is what he is asked to do most days.

it seems a paradox that he can not necessarily do that great a job at his assigned role but his contested work at stoppages ads so much that he makes us a much better team in any event.

i do wonder how he would go if we just let him off the leash and said play your own game. He is a good hard runner, his skills while not elite are neat and he uses it conservatively , he is courageous, attacks the pill as hard as anyone, is difficult to bring down and tackles like a ■■■■.

wouldn't mind seeing him change his tagging style a bit and play a little more as soft tagger who lines up shoulder to shoulder with his opponent and then just tries to beat him to the ball rather than trying to block his opponents run to the ball.

can't help but feel we have never got as much out of him as we could have and i think that comes down to coaching because it strikes me that heath is very team oriented and self sacrificing and would do exactly what is asked of him week in week out. give him a bit more freedom and see what happens, reckon the results could be favourable.

pretty much it.

Hocking to me, is the guy in the midfield who leads the defensive aspect/side of the midfields game. Unfortunately he has been the main and only one doing that for years.

He is a necessary evil in the midfield atm, to cover/allow the likes of Watson and Stanton to run around less worried about their opponents, an just getting the ball ( note i'm not havin a go at those players, it's a coaches instruction to allow that to happen).

However I think it doesn't work for a whole season, cos he is basically the domino, that if he is missing from the side, they don't have anyone else capable of leading or taking over the work he does. So they have to demand more of the midfield as a whole, to work harder defensively. The great teams expect it of their whole side, let alone their midfielders, we should be expecting it too.

pretty much it.
Hocking to me, is the guy in the midfield who leads the defensive aspect/side of the midfields game. Unfortunately he has been the main and only one doing that for years.
He is a necessary evil in the midfield atm, to cover/allow the likes of Watson and Stanton to run around less worried about their opponents, an just getting the ball ( note i'm not havin a go at those players, it's a coaches instruction to allow that to happen).
However I think it doesn't work for a whole season, cos he is basically the domino, that if he is missing from the side, they don't have anyone else capable of leading or taking over the work he does. So they have to demand more of the midfield as a whole, to work harder defensively. The great teams expect it of their whole side, let alone their midfielders, we should be expecting it too.
What you say is very true, if you totally ignore Ben howlett. And Myers is respectable on the defensive side. And Melksham came a long way defensively this year. Hell, even Goddard isn't totally a one-down runner.
When you say the whole midfield are poor defensively, you really mean Watson, Stanton and Zaha are.

pretty much it.
What you say is very true, if you totally ignore Ben howlett. And Myers is respectable on the defensive side. And Melksham came a long way defensively this year. Hell, even Goddard isn't totally a one-down runner.
When you say the whole midfield are poor defensively, you really mean Watson, Stanton and Zaha are.

Nope I mean the whole midfield.

Melksham definately improved in this aspect this year yes, and hopefully will continue. Howlett is a bull, but is still a liability defensively. Myers is hard to gauge.

Hocking Will give you 100% defensively. I don't believe anyone else in the midfield does. Again the 3 players you mention it's not their role to focus as much on defensive efforts granted, but IMO they all have to work at a higher level, not 1 player going at 100%, 1 going at 80, 2 going at 70 and 3 going at 50 % IMO.

Also be defensive efforts I'm not restriticin my definition of that meaning to the tackle stat, like so many around here.

Love Heath, but unfortunately one of the slowest mids in the league. Actually reckon he looks best as a ball getter

Totally disagree on Howlett, and Myers was doing a few shutdown roles early on this year, and did pretty well. He’s not that hard to gauge.

I get what you are saying about it being tactical, and it will be interesting to see how Bomber sets up this year.

But it’s still too broad to say ‘the whole midfield,’ when it’s not. It’s just the potential game breakers, which isn’t that uncommon