Old people don't understand the Internet

Exactly.

Of course they do. As I said on average the ads it was serving were the more likely to be successful. But they clearly weren’t as targeted as they’d like to think they can be

So, if one wanted to help ‘Mr Google’ out, as a donation, clicking is ok? Just for the purpose of donating to a good cause. (You may be called on to back this up in the family court)

1 Like

But your point boils down to “no it’s not”

And I would back google to know what they’re doing.

What are you talking about?

My point is that it’s providing the high level of success in terms of ad click throughs, but obviously wasn’t the best option for the particular individual user in this case.

The second is inarguable, as the particular individual user was making the point that the ad was useless to them. The first we all are assuming they’re smart. Which I’m sure they are. The point is that they had reached the point of diminishing returns on trying to further target the ads, or they didn’t know as much as we assumed they did. Either may be correct, but the assumption is that they know everything, so it must be diminishing returns for the extra levels of granularity.

Either way, the ad wasn’t an effective ad for this particular user (as they stated in this thread!), so by definition they’re not as smart as they could be. (ie the perfect success would be 100% click throughs…or even better 100% click throughs leading to sales!)

Yes, eventually they sense the diminishing returns. When one searches Qing Dynasty Nest of Tables, prepare for an avalanche of ads being served. Do not click. Wait and see how long it takes for them to stop serving you ads. I would give it a couple of months. It really depends on who, if any is running an adwords campaign at that time.

A principle used across the internet, at the very root of the TCP-IP algorithm is too back off by increasing the delay on retry each time a retry fails. If this was not implemented, the internet would strangle itself to death.

Here we go. It took 5 minutes and they start serving me ads for Qing Dynasty nests of tables.

I bought mine years ago, I was just checking the price.

Anyway, as to T and W

They still have not learned

1 Like

Pawno ads have resurfaced on the official Ukraine media site, which I have never clicked on, there or elsewhere, or dating sites.

Is this thread where the computer Boffins hang out?

I need help deciding on a laptop to buy.

harvey norman sells them

1 Like

Try to get something with at least 16gb of ram, depending on what your doing with the laptop helps answer the question better but 16gb should let you run quite a few programs at once with no trouble or do some light gaming

1 Like

The internet is so 2023, I’m using the outernet going forward!

Mrs Fox and I have Microsoft Surface Laptops, and it is easily the best Laptop I have ever had.

Tried them all over the years.

2 Likes

Went with 16gb and 512 ssd.

Should do the job.

FFS tho, hard to filter through all the minuscule incremental upgrades per model.

1 Like

To bring back memories of early Blitz

Get a Mac(book)

2 Likes

I call bullshit. I bet there is at least 1 laptop you haven’t tried.

1 Like

Probably but there have been so many. We used to supply laptops with our equipment and we were always trying to find the cheapest one that worked. We had deals with just about every laptop maker, but the best prices were always from Harvey Norman when they had a runout sale !!

It’s an oldie, but still good advice.

1 Like

Congrats on joining boomer territory which this thread was made for. You want everyone else’s latest.

1 Like

The usual questions:

What is the primary use?
Do you have a budget?
Are there any specific requirements? For example legacy software that it needs to run?

1 Like