Old people don't understand the Internet

This is going to seem like a very basic question but we’ve never been on Facebook until recently when we joined so we could join a particular group. We don’t post anything else. Can someone tell me how I send a private message to someone else in the group without using messenger? (Using an iPhone) Thanks.

@Koala may know the solution.

1 Like

not sure with an iPhone sorry!

on my android, I can send messages on Facebook without downloading the Messenger app by using the desktop version. Technically it’s still using the Messenger function though.

1 Like

Thanks to both of you - it’s not urgent so I’m sure someone I know can show me in the next few days. :+1:

1 Like

I got put in Facebook Jail for a post I apparently did… I never post and nobody has seen any posts I apparently did. Any ideas??

You can get done for posts from years and years ago.

Not sure exactly if it’s people trawling posts from years ago to report, or FB actually finally looking at reports from years ago.

1 Like

You can’t on an iPhone.
Have to install messenger.

From a PC you can.

Same with Android, have to install messenger.

I can use the Messenger service on my android without downloading the app

Android has a feature where apps can use a toolkit from Google to be used like a preview to the app without downloading it.

Thank you. We sort of thought that but good to have it confirmed.

I will tell you what I , an old person do not understand about the internet.

If I show even the slightest interest in a topic, I am deluged with AD servers nagging me about it for months after I have bought something and I am thinking some poor merchant is paying for a lost cause.

That system is broken. I bought a bed from from Temple and Webster . Since then I get all these ads for Temple and Webster. I tried to tell ad choices to bugger off but still the banners pop up incessantly.

Fix the algorithm guys !

You’re not smarter than google.

At a big data level, Mr BedBuyer is more likely to click through on that ad, than an ad for dancing shoes or hamsters or elderberries.

Which means google get paid.

1 Like

In this case, Mr Bedbuyer IS smarter than google. He doesn’t waste his time clicking. But google don’t care as they still get paid by Mr Bedseller who is wasting his money in this case.

google pay per click, so, no.

Next time, buy a second-hand bed of equal or better quality from a used furniture shop at a tenth the price.

Yeh, nah, second hand bed infested with bed bugs.
No thanks

1 Like

“Bed bugs” ? Spread the gospel, @chris_94. It’s precisely because of ridiculous preconceptions like that one that you’ll get a good-quality secondhand bed for a tenth the price of a new one !

1 Like

But I’m sure Google knows Mr Bedbuyer has already purchased said bed and associated furnishings, and should now be looking to sell MrBedbuyer some completely unrelated product that bed buyers might purchase a month after buying a bed.

The problem is that the algorithm thinks that Mr Bedbuyer is furnishing a house, whereas Mr Bedbuyer was just replacing the bed. A smarter algorithm might understand that MrBedbuyer actually now needs physio services after buying the wrong bed for their body (and google should know that!), Or perhaps might think that Mr Bedbuyer might need a constant supply of “lotions and robes”, or perhaps some other non bed related products.

Sure the big data can guess that if you’re buying a bed you are on average more likely to be in the market for other furniture, but that level of data insight is clearly such a basic level, and we’re constantly told that the algorithms are smart enough to know you’re pregnant before you know, so @chris_64’s point is reasonable.

1 Like

Do you genuinely believe google don’t have data to back what they’re doing with their ad serves?

But google don’t (really) care if Acme sells Mr bedbuyer a bed.
They just want Mr Bedbuyer to click, that’s when they get paid.