Old people don't understand the Internet

I think it’s nice that they’re saving us from the terrorists.

given there is so much free content on you tube etc. watched a pretty good tom brady documentary the other day.
And buy movies from itunes when i want to watch it, maybe 1-2 a month.
i used to download stuff before…back when i was on dialup but havent for years…and i actually have 200gb download and NBN connection now.
Get Game Of Thrones off a friend who downloads it in the past, but would pay a subscription to netflix or whatever if they provided the content for me to stream, when the only option is fox Pay tv in home you can understand a lot of people doing it illegally, when they have large data internet plans.

A LANDMARK court ruling is due to be handed down today that will have lasting implications for the ongoing fight against illegal downloading and file sharing.

Dallas Buyers Club LLC has requested that iiNet (and a few other Australian ISPs) divulge the identity of customers whose IP addresses were found to have shared the film Dallas Buyers Club illegally.

The company owns the rights to the movie and identified a total of 4726 IP addresses that engaged in the illegal activity. Federal Court Justice Nye Perram’s verdict is due to be handed down at 2:15pm today.

So whats the verdict?

haha what a bunch of tools. Having a go at people who wasted time on their crap movie.

Or maybe it is a publicity stunt

you know if we had timely access to these things instead of having to deal with a severely crippled netflix and the like, MAYBE PIRACY WOULDN’T BE SO PREVALENT YOU ■■■■■.

l have a VPN from Monash. Good thing l have as well, otherwise no access to Facebook, no You Tube, no Googlew Scholar, not even IMDB.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Get a VPN for anyone worried.

Can one of the more tech savy here talk us through what we should do, which VPN & how to set it up.

I have been reading this site, it has many links and loads of info:

Basically VPN, if you use a good service, makes your IP address be somewhere else and is a shared address so no one knows it is you. A good one has IP addresses located all over the globe and lets you choose which one you want. So say you want to stream a UK show on their free access sites (BBC), you select a UK server and you are recognised as UK and the stream will work. As it is a shared IP then it cannot be traced to you.

Also a good VPN service will not retain any data so if they are subpoenad to court to provide their data, they can’t as they do not have any.

This site seems good and is well priced and is also at the top of most “best VPN” lists:
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

You can get free ones, but if you want real protection and good service then you have to pay. prices range from $40 - $100+ per year or you can pay monthly.

If the entertainment industry stops piracy then it will only find another way.

But essentially it will cripple the amount of people that view shows, get involved in social engagement of shows and also share the shows to those that can’t access it.

Even if we have full time netflix there are people that can’t afford it, don’t have enough internet, only want one show, etc.

the fact that Netflix cant have all the content, means people need to have multiple subscriptions to watch the shows they want. it gets costly.

If people cant download stuff ISPS may see people reducing internet packages as well.

Reason i dont have foxtel and watch afl is due to the cost and that i only want to watch footy channel not the other crap. Plus Essendong usually have a good number of games on free to air tv.

so I have the AFL season pass, and watch on ipad, since cant stream to tv this year will only watch essendon games on it.

Quoted Post

Get a VPN for anyone worried.

Can one of the more tech savy here talk us through what we should do, which VPN & how to set it up.

Quoted Post

l have a VPN from Monash. Good thing l have as well, otherwise no access to Facebook, no You Tube, no Googlew Scholar, not even IMDB.

No Google scholar?

Quoted Post

we have netflix, Foxtel and Free to Air TV

my sister’s favorited show is Once Upon A Time - the newest season 4 is up to episode 18 and isn’t even shown on any of these medium’s in Australia

so she has no other choice but to download the episodes as they are realesed in the United States

If the networks here had it on TV she wouldn’t download it.

Uh… there’s a choice to not watch it?

Studios don’t seem to understand that if somehow piracy ended overnight, then people wouldn’t suddenly up and pay for a ticket, they’d find something else to do. They’re chasing “losses” that don’t exist.

I’m running TAILS. Muhahah.

If you want to steal content use irc or usenet.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

my sister’s favorited show is Once Upon A Time - the newest season 4 is up to episode 18 and isn’t even shown on any of these medium’s in Australia

so she has no other choice but to download the episodes as they are realesed in the United States

Studios don’t seem to understand that if somehow piracy ended overnight, then people wouldn’t suddenly up and pay for a ticket, they’d find something else to do. They’re chasing “losses” that don’t exist.

well she wants to watch it and that’s her right
i was saying that customers would pay if the service they expect was provided.

we shouldn’t have to go do something else - would you go support another team if Essendon decided not to play this year because they couldn’t be bothered

If they don’t provide the service here how can they claim they have been damaged by piracy?

Have fun trying to get the money off people who have downloaded that rubbish film.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

well she wants to watch it and that’s her right
i was saying that customers would pay if the service they expect was provided.

we shouldn’t have to go do something else - would you go support another team if Essendon decided not to play this year because they couldn’t be bothered

Her right to consume something for free that someone paid to produce. Gotcha.

Poor analogy with that Essendon one. Would work better if it was “Essendon moved their home games to Geelong and didn’t put them on telly, so I get the train there without a myki to watch them”

I’m not trying to be high and mighty here. I download/stream stuff quite regularly. I do it because I can and (so far) get away with it. Any excuse people come up with for their illegal use of content is largely horsesht. It’s not like we were going around 15 years ago when months-long delays in TV/movies making it here going all Violet Beauregarde “but we deserve to be able to watch it now hrummmf”

I’m not defending piracy, but the idea that one download = one lost cinema attendance is completely false.
My friend didn’t download that movie, but even if he did there is no way in hell that was a factor in him not seeing that film at the cinema.

He did download two other films…after he’d seen them at the cinema. Hasn’t watched them again yet. Not sure how that affects the film company’s bottom line. I’m guessing not at all. He sure as hell wouldn’t have said, ‘Oh…this film isn’t available to download illegally, I guess I’ll buy the dvd for $30 in six months.’