Opportunities in the best 22

I have no idea what year I think I’m in. Didn’t realise he played his only 2 games this season. Which I guess would be post accident? Happened pre season?

So I’m going to pig headidly stand by my original comment because this is the internet.

1 Like

Yep, we’ve got nobody. Well, except potentially McNiece, Saad, Morgan, Redman, and Ridley …

Obviously, apart from Saad none are proven yet in that lock down role. I also don’t think Bags is on his last legs yet. But we do have options to try out.

McNiece was outstanding in early VFL games this year, good intercept marking and elite disposal.
He was always going to take some time to get used to AFL level. But only managed the 2 games. Presumably kept fit in spite of the whiplash, but after missing many games, it remains to be seen how long it will take to get back to where he was and, as a rookie will need a window to elevate to the main list.

1 Like

Think that undersells 1-1 abilities

It’s mid-October and Baguley is still uncontracted.

= I think it is reasonable to debate that he might not be best 22 next year…it’s not clear cut either way for me, but the debate is valid.

Baguley is contracted… he had a trigger clause in his existing contract for an extra year which he successfully triggered about 3/4 of the way through. Was reported by the club when he did.

2 Likes

What about Josh Green? Signed a 1 year deal when he came to the club and don’t remember hearing about him re-signing at any point. Hopefully he had a trigger clause too.

Although many would not like it, Fanta might have a future role in the midfield, so Green may indeed be a required small forward, or ( i hate to say it) depth, but if Green ( and Trav ) become depth, our team will probably be top 4 level. Inevitable.

Not my personal thoughts but I have been reading Saad is surprisingly good as a lockdown?

I know this is typical Blitz (mature age rookie with virtually no exposed form) but McNiece impressed me in his 2 games. A fair bit. And in the VFL. And Baguley debuted at his age and his first 4/5 games at the back end of his debut season were so underwhelming I almost cried when we upgraded him.

If you don’t find out you won’t know - I wanna find out.

1 Like

Begley to move into the midfield alternating with Stringer in the forward line.

1 Like

Begley is fascinating. What an incredible start to an AFL career.

So do we see him as a Parish / McGrath who is a young star and get him out there as much as possible. Or is he still developing?

The question for me comes down to Laverde or Begley… who has priority? Who projects as the better player?

Begley. No question.

It’s unfortunate but injuries have crippled Lav’s development and I’d rather put all my eggs in Begley’s basket if I had to choose. I’d be inclined to put a line through Lav. Maybe not with permanent marker but with a pencil.

I’ve said before, I’m more excited about him than anyone on our list.

With that said, I don’t know if he’ll have a huge impact next year. I think the coaches will set him as a forward, aim to get a contribution every week, and hopefully get used to the required work rate and running - rather than hoping for him to “break out”. He will push through midfield eventually, but that might only be in 2019 or so.
He’s not a McGrath or Heppell: he wasn’t part of TAC cup even at the start of his U18 year- but that doesn’t mean he can’t be a star in his own right.he is starting from further back, but that just makes his progression even more impressive. His potential is IMO extraordinary.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if I’d say he was the one I was most excited about, because I was pretty excited by all of our first 4 picks last year (sorry Dylan). I totally agree Begley has a huge amount of upside. The major issue is that I think they will want him to get midfield time, and that may force him to play VFL if the opportunities aren’t there to play midfield at AFL level.

1 Like

Oh no!!!

Not another debate on the definition of “most exciting” and why you can / can’t debate it. Fark.

Can we just say BBB is farking exciting!!!

No, we need to order the whole list in order of how excited you are about them!

Priority goes to who has the better pre-season and the one demanding a game. Hopefully they both demand games.

If you don’t demand a game then you don’t get one. It’s about performance not potential.

No more kiddly winkx at EFC.

Like a limp, semi, pitched or fap scale?

Yep that would be good :slight_smile:

WOW!

Just had a crack at a best 22 (with a couple of smokies) and with the 3 new SSS additions, it certainly impacts straight away.

Couldn’t find space for Bags, Hartley and the Foetus and Langford and Lav emergencies…

Starts to look like decent midfield depth all of a sudden! (and loads of pace)

Francis Hooker Ambrose
Saad Hurley Irish
Mc Grath Heppel Zerret
Zaka Stewart Raz
Walla Joe D Begley
TBell Stringer Smith
I: Goddard Collyer Parish Myers
E: Langford, Laverde, Mutch

Midfield:
Zerret, Stringer, Hepp, Smith, Zaka, Parish, Mc Grath, Myers, Walla, Raz, Big Boi, Goddard