Orlando nightclub shooting: 50 dead, 53 injured, police say, in worst mass shooting in US history

Sometimes I wonder if its guns that are the problem or guns PLUS our society here in the US. Heck, every Swiss household has a gun and you don't see a shooting every day.

I read that gun violence kills 50 people EVERY 33 hours here in the US.

But yeah, 2nd amendment and all that…

Switzerland doesn’t have the wealth disparity of the US, so not the poverty, not the disenfranchisement, the envy, the anger, the desperation, the wealthy flaunting their wealth, etc etc … or, I’d wager, the easy access to legal guns, particularly military types, or anywhere near the amount of illegal ones available.

They also haven’t gone jackbooting, conning , cajoling, bribing, or bombing any Middle East countries to procure and/or secure oil supply for their country, thereby making themselves the shining target for any Islamic hatred.

Bill O’Reilly, a bloke I usually would like to slap some morality into, actually made a fair bit of sense tonight on The Late Show, some real workable solutions, and surprising compromise as an influential right winger, and if Clinton & the Dem’s get control of the lot in November, I think by the end of next year, you might see some sensible & lasting gun reforms.

I’m really hoping & praying for it, for all of you guys there.

Thank Christ for John Howard, … I never thought I’d say that, but we’d be right behind you in lockstep if he hadn’t taken that opportunity.

Sometimes I wonder if its guns that are the problem or guns PLUS our society here in the US. Heck, every Swiss household has a gun and you don't see a shooting every day.

Of course its both. You guys have fwits blowing up federal buildings with a truckload of fertiliser and diesel. The means to do it is one issue, the want is a different matter.

The fix for the automatic weapons means SHOULD be far easier than changing the societal values of the country.

I do think that the two recent Isis “inspired” events is a horrible horrible turning point. Because whilst the lone gunman crazy white bloke shooting up a school doesnt really give certain elements within the US an obvious target for “payback”, a muslim linked spree certainly does. A massive danger this escalates big time, imo.

1. Ban guns

Americans are extremely paranoid people. Goes all the way back to how their nation was formed (no taxation without representation etc etc etc) and has been fostered by governments seeking re-election ever since. There’s always been someone “coming to get them” - the British, the huns, the commies, the Japs, Charlie, the commies again, and the a-rabs. And to a lesser extent, the poor people and the blacks. And the gays.

Just look at how many Americans possess a handgun and describe vivid fantasies in which they get to execute an intruder who is intruding for whatever reason (probably to steal a gun). Whereas in Australia we take fk-all precautions against home intruders because we know that the odds of an intruder when we are actually home are very, very minimal.

Americans are extremely paranoid people. Goes all the way back to how their nation was formed (no taxation without representation etc etc etc) and has been fostered by governments seeking re-election ever since. There’s always been someone “coming to get them” - the British, the huns, the commies, the Japs, Charlie, the commies again, and the a-rabs. And to a lesser extent, the poor people and the blacks. And the gays.

Just look at how many Americans possess a handgun and describe vivid fantasies in which they get to execute an intruder who is intruding for whatever reason (probably to steal a gun). Whereas in Australia we take fk-all precautions against home intruders because we know that the odds of an intruder when we are actually home are very, very minimal.

Heard a news report, I think maybe The Project covered it, that basically said there has been a spike in the number of people seeking self-defense classes because of the Apex gangs spike in home invasions.

Exactly. We opt to go to a few sessions at the local dojo instead of getting ourselves a gun

I’ve never seen the problem with using a cricket bat.

I've never seen the problem with using a cricket bat.

I think you can get in trouble with the law if you have a cricket bat by your bed for the sole purpose of bludgeoning some halfwit who wants to nick your TV, luckily for me I play baseball and my kitbag sits in the corner of my room within easy arm reach if required.

And I’ve said it before in the “toddler shoots mother” thread where many of these arguments have already been played out, there is no way in hell I would have a gun in my house.

I don’t see any easy solution to gun control issues in America as they are way past saturation point due to the number of guns already out there. Even if politicians miraculously get their snouts out of the gun-lobby funded trough and bring in tough laws, it will only be scratching around the margins, not affecting real change. The best they can hope for is to standardise access to puchasing guns and maybe, just maybe it will reduce the numbers of these tragedies. But as for eliminating them completely? Not likley.

Gold.

How about them keeping their guns and banning bullets?

Exactly. We opt to go to a few sessions at the local dojo instead of getting ourselves a gun

In fairness though its almost impossible for Australians to appreciate just how violent some areas of the US are & how very real the threat of things like home invasion is for some. That’s not me trying to justify their guns laws at all but its is a vicious circle of real violence fuelling the fear of violence leading to many people believing gun ownership is their only option. Its easy to label yanks as paranoid but I think these shootings should highlight that the paranoia is justified. I’m 100% for the banning of all assault weapons & heavily restricting access to less destructive guns but I also appreciate that many yanks feel like they are under siege. I’m the same with the issue of police shootings. I don’t condone police shooting innocent people at all but I also understand that when 2 officers are killed on average per week, they also feel under siege & again this fuels the circle of violence.

Huh? They’re “under siege” because everyone has guns. Take away the guns, and the threats are substantially reduced.

It’s certainly not a simple problem to fix.

I've never seen the problem with using a cricket bat.

I think you can get in trouble with the law if you have a cricket bat by your bed for the sole purpose of bludgeoning some halfwit who wants to nick your TV, luckily for me I play baseball and my kitbag sits in the corner of my room within easy arm reach if required.

And I’ve said it before in the “toddler shoots mother” thread where many of these arguments have already been played out, there is no way in hell I would have a gun in my house.

I don’t see any easy solution to gun control issues in America as they are way past saturation point due to the number of guns already out there. Even if politicians miraculously get their snouts out of the gun-lobby funded trough and bring in tough laws, it will only be scratching around the margins, not affecting real change. The best they can hope for is to standardise access to puchasing guns and maybe, just maybe it will reduce the numbers of these tragedies. But as for eliminating them completely? Not likley.

If the prick has a knife and is threatening to use it then the trusty bat comes out to play. I’m not sure how it got out of the kit bag in the wardrobe but ■■■■■■ lucky it did.

The Westboro Baptist Church are picketing the funerals, so it would be a tad silly to ban assault weapons while they’re assembled.

The Westboro Baptist Church are picketing the funerals, so it would be a tad silly to ban assault weapons while they're assembled.

Now there’s a terrorist organisation…

The Westboro Baptist Church are picketing the funerals, so it would be a tad silly to ban assault weapons while they're assembled.

Now there’s a terrorist organisation…

Utter disgusting human beings.

Upstanding citizens next to ISIS.