Our first AFLW squad: finalised, 30 + 3 top-ups

I’ll have one of them, one of them, one of them…

Carlton’s Grace Egan, who I think we should poach if we couldn’t get M. Prespakis out of Carlton, pretty much done for 2022 (out for up to 6 weeks) with two broken ribs and a punctured lung.

Two articles up today on this topic. I find it very hard to answer the question of who will come up from our VFLW team without knowing the type and number of players we end up poaching from elsewhere.

First one is by @acat493. I dunno about placing MacDonald at #3, but she does have elite pace and she’s a lot less clumsy than Ruby Svarc (finally getting regular AFLW games, and in a very strong team).

The VFLW Bombers and Hawks ready to take the step up

04/03/2022 Alex Catalano

Essendon and Hawthorn have had excellent starts to the 2022 VFLW season. (Photos: Essendon VFLW/Twitter; Hawthorn Women’s/Twitter)

With three rounds run of the 2022 VFLW season, Essendon and Hawthorn are looking like two of the most dangerous teams in the competition.

While the Hawks went down to rivals Geelong in Round 2, they’ve also picked up two victories to the tunes of 10 plus goals.

Essendon, meanwhile, sits atop the ladder. Undefeated with a monstrous 595.3 percentage, the Bombers are firming as one of the teams to beat.

Entering the AFLW next season, both sides have built their programs steadily since entering the state league competition. Hawthorn is looking to return to finals after a few down seasons post the 2018 VFLW flag, while Essendon made finals for the first time in 2021, bowing out in the prelim.

While Essendon is still searching for a senior coach, the club seems to be taking the right steps in laying the foundations for a competitive playing list.

Which players could make the jump to their respective AFLW teams? The Inner Sanctum looks at the best of them.

Georgia Nanscawen

Picked up by North Melbourne as an expansion signing, Georgia Nanscawen played just two AFLW games before being unceremoniously delisted.

Joining the Bombers in 2019, the Roos may have immediately grown to rue their decision. She accordingly won the club best and fairest, was named in the Team of the Year, and has only looked up since.

Pocket Profile: Nanscawen
Nanscawen in North Melbourne colours. (Photo: North Melbourne FC)

That came to a head when Nanscawen won the Lambert-Pearce Medal last season, as the VFLW’s best and fairest player.

Since joining the Bombers, she hasn’t nominated for the AFLW Draft however. Appointed captain in 2021, and sharing the captaincy with Mia-Rae Clifford this year, it’s clear she bleeds red and black.

It doesn’t seem like there’s any other club she wants to play for. As one of the best midfielders outside of the AFLW, Nanscawen should be the first Bomber signed.

Federica Frew

Frew battled through injury last season to return with a bang in 2022, suffering from a rare nerve issue.

It meant she had to miss Essendon’s maiden finals run, but that didn’t deter her. She’d kicked 11 goals in nine games to that point.

This season is seeing the former soccer player flourish in the Bombers forward line, having kicked eight goals in two games.

Six of these came in a demolition of Carlton, with five in the first half.

While a scintillating small forward, doing some of her best work off the back of a pack, Frew also boasts a booming boot. She can kick off the edge of the 50 metre arc in a way that not many crumbing players can.

Currently leading the VFLW goalkicking, Frew would make for the perfect compliment to Essendon’s inaugural key forward brigade.

Nat MacDonald

Midfielder/forward MacDonald has been slowly developing her game since joining the Bombers in 2018, only taking up footy the previous year.

A basketball convert, she’s grown a penchant for kicking freakish goals in clutch moments, and has developed a strong goal sense.

While she spends most of her time sitting deep in the forward line, MacDonald has pushed higher up the ground as the years have gone by. She’s increased her disposal average from 9.8 in 2019, to 11.4 to 2021, and now up to 12.5.

While she does occasionally have her fumbles with the footy and skill errors, MacDonald is a weapon around goals, and would slot beautifully into a forward pocket.

The romantic side of having MacDonald in the team also can’t be ignored, as one of the players who’s been around the VFLW side since its inaugural season in 2018.

Eloise Ashley-Cooper

Ashley-Cooper is another player that’s seen a rapid rise since her VFLW debut in 2019.

Playing 13 games in her first season with the Bombers, she finished seventh in the club best and fairest count, while also earning the club rising star award.

She became known for her ground level game and tackling pressure, adding a different level of defensive pressure to Essendon.

This was key to the Bombers high intensity game style in 2021, where she averaged 5.5 tackles a game. Ashley-Cooper was duly awarded, pipping Nanscawen for the Essendon best and fairest.

She’s a versatile player that can move between the backline and the midfield with ease, and could easily slot into either at AFLW level.

With Essendon’s more direct, quick movement this season, Ashley-Cooper has shown she can change up her gamestyle. She’s taking more marks (averaging 4.3 a game) and helping move the footy inside 50 instead of being the turnover creator (averaging 15 disposals).

Courtney Ugle

Another one of only a handful of players remaining from the inaugural team, Ugle is another player who bleeds Essendon through and through.

After inaugural captain Lisa Williams departed the club, she was voted in as the club’s captain for the 2019 season. Forever a popular player at the club, she was voted as vice-captain in 2021, after overcoming a huge setback.

Ugle was struck down with a knee injury during the 2019 season, ending her year early and leaving her on the long road to rehab.

But she came back bigger and stronger, and has only improved since.

Ever consistent, Ugle has been utilised across a number of midfield roles. Though undersized at times, she’s a force on the inside, averaging 4.6 tackles and 2.8 clearances last season.

At times throughout 2021, she took on a more defensive midfield role, sitting behind the footy and using her strong IQ to take intercept marks.

Ugle is a player that would not only be key to building a strong AFLW midfield, but a strong culture.

3 Likes

This article looks at players both internally and externally. Poach Moody and Prespakis from Fark Carlton? Yes please.

As we head towards the business end of an AFLW season that people will remember one way or another, there’s been one word in football that is starting to hover around like a bad storm cloud; expansion.

In 2023, Essendon, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide and Sydney will all come into the league, but before that happens, these four clubs have got to sort out the sort of playing list that they’ll head into this off-season with.

I was up in Bundoora on the weekend, calling the Darebin v Hawthorn VFLW game for WARF Radio and the discussion about what each of the four clubs should be targeting was one of a couple of big talking points during the pre-game show.

I’d be lying if I said that it was the first time I’ve thought about this kind of discussion with some depth. For that, we’d be going back towards July last year, when the AFLW Draft commenced. I had flirted with the idea of doing an extremely early potential best 21 for all the teams around September last year but ultimately spurned that because it was just that – too early.

But with the season unfolding as it is right now, the timing is right to start looking at what these four clubs should target for next year.

In the first of two parts – I look at who both Victorian clubs should target for their AFLW lists.

So far, I’ve had first-class views to watch both the Bombers and the Hawks in the VFLW this year, and whilst it’s currently a sample size, there’s no doubt that both teams are gearing up for the transition next year.

ESSENDON

As for the Bombers, I saw them first-hand a couple of weeks ago dismantle a severely understrength Bulldogs team, and judging from their first three games, there are a lot of players who are working for their spot on the AFLW list next year.

Whilst the Dons haven’t signed on their first player in the manner that the Hawks have done, one look at the VFLW list, and I think they can easily sign players both in the state league and from the AFLW and can assert themselves as at least a mid-tier side, working their way up the ladder.

It’s also worth mentioning here that as of the time of writing, Essendon have not appointed a head coach, which might make things a little harder.

It is confirmed that VFLW coach Brendan Major won’t take the role, instead featuring in a more minor role behind the scenes, but there are plenty of coaches you can look to from here – Jane Lange, Mel Hickey, Paddy Hill, Peta Searle are names that are the first that come to mind.

Anyway, back to the playing list, the first player I would have at the top of my list an ex-North player by the name of Georgia Nanscawen. You can’t miss her out there on the field with her red hair and long sleeves (yes, she is seriously out here in hot and humid conditions wearing long sleeves), but you also can’t miss the work rate she puts out every time she steps out onto the football field.

She won the league’s best and fairest last year on the back of an insatiable appetite for working contest to contest, averaging monster numbers of 23.5 disposals, 10.5 tackles, 6.2 clearances and 3.3 inside 50s per game. She excels around the contest and spreads well from stoppage following that.

But there are plenty of other Dons who are impressing – Federica Frew kicked six goals on Carlton this past Sunday and has always been a crafty player in front of goals. Eloise Ashley-Cooper won their club best and fairest last year and there are players currently in Renee Tierney, Nat MacDonald and Amelia Radford who I can see as players that can make the next jump to the elite level.

Just as well, there are ex-AFLW players fighting to be put back into the topflight. I expect former Carlton and Brisbane key position player Bella Ayre to be fighting for a spot in the side when she comes back from injury,

But right now, there are none more willing to fight for their place than the pair of Jordan Zanchetta and Danielle Marshall.

Zanchetta, who was taken by Brisbane as a first-round pick back in the 2017 AFLW Draft, played 13 games over the course of four seasons, she played 11 games across her first two years at the Lions before seemingly falling out of favour. There’s not much of her height-wise, but you see her speed and you see how she makes decisions with the ball in hand, there’s no doubt that she’s ready for another crack.

As a Dogs supporter, I thought the delisting of Marshall last year was extremely stiff, considering what she can do as a key forward. Consistency issues? Yes, there were plenty, but it’s easy to forget that she’s still trying to work her way into playing the game, coming over from America.

I’ve watched her across the defensive half so far this season, and it sort of reminds me of Aine Tighe currently at Fremantle, just toned down a level or two. She’s getting a better understanding of how to read the play and intercept and that only just enhances her credentials as a player. Athletically speaking, she’s mobile and agile and that holds her in good stead for the coming years.

Looking at who they may target from rival AFLW clubs, you need to look no further than those who have come through the AFLW from the Bombers’ feeder team in the NAB League, the Calder Cannons.

The Cannons have produced some bloody good players over the past five years – chief among these include both Maddy and Georgie Prespakis, Chloe Molloy, Georgia Patrikios and Monique Conti.

Out of those selected, perhaps the most gettable is Maddy Prespakis, given how turbulent the Blues have been this year. The Blues may not be in premiership contention mode for the next few years as they look to sort out the list and the direction they’re heading – you look at what the Bombers are creating at VFLW and it becomes an excitable prospect if they get some key names over the line.

It is also worth mentioning that Maddy was an Essendon supporter growing up, maybe the Dons getting her entices the younger Prespakis to come over as well, and if that does, just imagine how much havoc the pair of them can create in the midfield.

You can also raise the case given what’s happened this year, that if Georgia Patrikios returns to AFLW at all, she can be potentially seen as very gettable, but there are intangibles that makes for that play to be very risky, however as we’ve seen in her first two seasons, the upside is tremendous through her work rate and her ability to get to the right spots consistently.

They would love to get their hands on a ruck as well, given that their primary ruck option at the VFLW is on the wrong side of 30. Given the state of Carlton now, a player like Breann Moody would be brilliant for a team like the Bombers – an opportunity to palm down to Prespakis, Nanscawen, and possibly other talents would put bums on seats next year and beyond.

Lauren Ahrens from the Gold Coast is another player that the Dons would be eyeing off, considering that she has spent time with Essendon’s VFLW program over the last year or so. The Dons would love some depth in the key position slots and at least they can fill in a need in defence with Ahrens’ brilliant positional IQ and intercept abilities.

But what about their forward line? Between Frew, Tierney, MacDonald, Jessie Davies (who spent a year on the Bulldogs’ AFLW list) and some old heads in Mia-Rae Clifford and Cecilia McIntosh – this forward combination have so far combined for 32 of Essendon’s 39 goals this year.

Given that McIntosh is 42 and Clifford is 35 – is it possible that they go around for one more shot? We’ve seen Cora Staunton at her age continue to find ways to hit the scoreboard, so there’s nothing that suggests that neither player can give it a crack for at least one more year to help prepare the young kids that they draft at the end of this season.

3 Likes

I think this is the right place to post this. Fujitsu coming on board our AFLW program is massive in my view. AFLW/VFLW has struggled to attract big name, corporate sponsorship.

Just days after committing to Georgia Nanscawen as its historic first AFLW player, the Essendon Football Club is delighted to announce Fujitsu General Australia as a co-major partner of its AFLW program .

After nine years as a co-major partner of the Bombers’ AFL program, Fujitsu General Australia will see its partnership extend to the AFLW program as the Bombers prepare for their entry into the national competition at the end of 2022.

Voted the nation’s most trusted brand in the air conditioning category for four years in a row, Fujitsu is a leading supplier of air conditioning products in Australia.

In late 2021, Fujitsu General Australia extended its major partnership with the Bombers for a further four years, taking the loyal partnership to 12 consecutive years.

Chief executive officer Xavier Campbell said the club was delighted to strengthen its partnership with Fujitsu General Australia through the Bombers’ historic AFLW program.

“We are incredibly proud of the strength of the partnership between the Essendon Football Club and Fujitsu General Australia, and our further strengthening of ties to extend to our incoming AFLW program is another example of that,” Campbell said.

“Signing Fujitsu General Australia is a wonderful progression for our club’s women’s program, and to be partnering with an organisation who have a shared vision to support and promote grassroots, community and female football programs is significant.

“There is no doubt we are entering a momentous period as our club becomes truly whole with the upcoming inception of our national women’s team, and we wish to thank managing director Philip Perham and his team at Fujitsu General Australia for their continued support of the Essendon Football Club.”

Fujitsu director of sales, marketing and product Dave Smith said Fujitsu General Australia was delighted to broaden its partnership with the Bombers.

"Fujitsu General is proud to come on board as the inaugural co-major partner of the Essendon AFLW team. Fujitsu General has been looking forward to this day since it first signed on as the Essendon VFLW co-major partner in their inaugural year,” Smith said.

“We are excited to be part of this history-making era in AFL and women’s sport, and in the evolution of the Essendon Football Club.”

3 Likes

RookieMeCentral’s first AFLW Draft Power Rankings for the year…

I imagine they haven’t worked it out yet, but will the top 8 picks be something 1+8 vs 2+7 vs 3+6 vs 4+5?

Would pick 1 be the best option?

Through dumb luck Essendon and Hawforn have their affiliated players waaaaay down that list (not clear where/whether Bridget Deed may have featured in the top 30 if she wasn’t already claimed by the Hawks).

• 19 Mia Busch → Hawks
  • 21 Octavia Di Donato → EFC

… and that’s it. If only we had got in one year earlier, with 6 of the top 42 drafted…

A friendly reminder that both Alana Barba and Tara Bohanna were signed to the Suns as injury replacements.

This means the Suns can’t directly re-sign them (would have to be done via the draft), but we can sign them directly since they had previously nominated for the draft.

3 Likes

That come from behind win vs WC, she was immense. And slotting goals from anywhere and everywhere.

WSPHU.

Alana is calling Rainbow Bay “home” too much for my liking. Courtney needs to drag her back here by the ear.

(Actually, it appears they are together in WA today. Courtney travels more than @Aceman.)

Bohanna is a tall (178cm) forward, which we have zero of (unless Rebecca McDonagh is forward).

1 Like

Right now we’re collecting sponsors quicker than players.

Keep the two 17yo VFLW players away from it.

(I think the other VFLW captain would have appreciated this piece of equipment a bit more.)

4 Likes

We really stuck a forklift in it!

1 Like

15 posts were merged into an existing topic: Natalie Wood - Inaugural AFLW coach

Gotta work out if we can grab Williams for free, or not.

As the premier pure junior development competition across the nation, there was no shortage of talent named in the Power Rankings from the NAB League Girls. The tricky aspect is the fact with Essendon and Hawthorn coming in, players will be pre-signed to those two clubs from their regions of Calder Cannons and Eastern Ranges respectively. The two Cannons standing out the most this season are Abbey McDonald and Reese Sutton who are a couple of tough nuts. Sutton, a tackling midfielder and McDonald a clean utility are both suitable options and would be in the next group of players from the Power Rankings.

There are limited talls available from the Victorian pool this year, with those outside the Top 30 including Bendigo Pioneers utility Tegan Williams and over-ager Geelong Falcons forward Analea McKee

Draw a line through Sarah Ford.

Was source was spot on. She was pulled from playing against the Saints because she had been signed by Sydney.

And Collier! Bastards.

She must have hated GWS for this to be the trigger to return home…

Note that three of the above have played all 5 games with Hawks VFLW this year, so a decent immediate whack for them.

North VFLW already bad enough without losing their captain :rofl:

Perhaps reading in-between the lines, Ford going to Sydney is very good news for us?

She’s a Bombers fan, would have told the club about the Sydney offer, and ask if we could counter.

I hypothesis that she was probably told she would have been fighting for her spot against Radford, Doonan and EAC as a non-starting midfielder, with us about to name some big guns.

ANNOUNCE THE GOOD MADDY ALREADY.