Our new midfield

It’s official, Durham is a absolute gun

5 Likes

Absolutely last priority to chase players for our midfield. Unless a great one fell in our lap requesting a trade.

Feel like we are more than likely to lose a player

2 Likes

He’s everything our midfield has been missing turning into an absolute gun

1 Like

Meh. Its called a trade.

If a contracted Parish wanted a move out of Essendon he would easily command a good first round pick. Maybe even 2.

Nobody is paying anything below pick 15, let alone two

3 Likes

I think the problem there we wouldn’t have got the compo because we got free agents in.
What baffles me is the six year deal to keep him when we could be well past him in 12 months

If we got a pick between 15-25 I would jump at it and be trying to get the best pact small forward we can with it.
The problem would be who would want him saints maybe the hawks I doubt he would leave Melbourne so probably limits options.

I was right about Durham. And I’m right about Perkins. They are the future. But Parish is just making up the numbers. He maybe good in close, but just too slow.

The first round compo that we wouldn’t have got because we brought in Ben McKay?

6 Likes

It’s shows the importance of having guys who are capable of playing team first football in the middle, ideally guys who aren’t afraid of the tough stuff.

Hobbs, Caldwell, Durham, Perkins, Setterfield have been showing the same endeavour to play both ways that we’ve been asking of Parish and Shiel and many others before.

6 Likes

Soligo got 31 touches, 10 clearances and Dawson tore us up with 32 touches and 2 goals.

Adelaides midfield is quite weak without Crouch and we only broke even.

Need to improve big time against the pies to have a chance.

1 Like

2 Likes

people are too early talking about trading Parish

only a few weeks ago it was CAldwell or Hobbs on the chopping block as surplus.

just let the season run out. He may rediscover his pre season form.

Parish was one of our best anzac day last year.

11 Likes

Hes a good player.

Same with Shiel. But when hes not getting rotations and chalking up big numbers his lack of impact on a smaller sample size seems to be noticeable.

2 Likes

every week this year we have had a different player be best on.

this week was caldwell.

I wouldnt worry about it. Glad our game has not relied on Merrett and Parish getting high 30 possession games.

5 Likes

Good point.

Martin is a risk in the backline. He gets tons of the ball, but he can turn it over and put other players under pressure. However up the ground he delivers beautifully inside 50 and he can kick a goal himself

Merrett could be very good at half back.

5 Likes

Whilst Merrett would be a great half back I don’t think we can afford him not being in the guts. I don’t think we have another player who can weave through traffic and find an extra second with the ball, which leads to better decisions moving into F50.

3 Likes

Imagine the crop of current mids developing to the point that releases Merrett to play the Martin role!
Every option is immediately seen and the best one selected and executed with precision.
Not saying Martin won’t improve but Merrett’s vision is frightening. Even the player receiving the ball sometimes doesn’t realise how good a position he is in.

1 Like

Taryn Thomas? Would we go there?

1 Like

No to Merrett at half back, if we are playing him anywhere outside of midfield it should be half forward where he pushes up into midfield anyway. He has the tackling/pressure game and damaging ball in hand

But back to our setups the balance, intensity and hardness with Durham & Caldwell in there has been great to see. As has the output. Which has also come with Parish clearly not playing anywhere near his best footy.

4 Likes