Patton Pending

4 goals is a solid return, and he is a fantastic kick. His marking wasn’t quite what you’d hope for, and his intensity could be questioned at times.

Leaving aside the issues of team balance, mobility etc. do we really need another Dean Wallis, talented but continually injured.

Friday, 27 January 2012
Giants forward Jonathon Patton faces an extended stint on the sidelines after having surgery in Sweden.

Tuesday, 31 January 2012
A trip to Sweden for new Giant Jon Patton has saved his season after unidentified bone growths were discovered in his knee.
“Dr Alfredson reviewed Patton’s history and then examined him with an ultrasound that showed extensive new blood vessel formation at the lower tip of the knee cap, near where the tendon joins,” Giants physiotherapist Leroy Lobo who travelled to Europe with Patton said.
"He also noted that there were some bony changes at the tip of the knee cap that would likely be hitting the tendon and leading to tendon changes and the pain that Patton was feeling.
"The process took over an hour. The bony growths and other parts around the tendon were trimmed.
"The bony lesions in particular were interesting as Dr Alfredson felt that we would have hit a wall with Patton’s conservative exercise-only rehab without this procedure.
“He felt without the bony-growth removal, we would have found ongoing tendon pain despite the carefully designed rehab designed by the Giants and his long-time colleague Jill Cook.”
AFL.com.au

Wednesday, 23 May 2012
GWS coach Kevin Sheedy hopes Jonathon Patton doesn’t follow the same path as Essendon’s injury-plagued forward Scott Gumbleton.

Wednesday, 15 August 2012
Jeremy Cameron, Jonathon Patton and Dylan Shiel will undergo surgery with three rounds remaining for the year in preparation for 2013.
“We’re being proactive with these young bodies,” said John Quinn, GWS’ head of sports science.

Sunday, 14 April 2013
Jonathon Patton will miss the rest of the season after tearing his ACL when he was brought down by St Kilda’s Rhys Stanley and his right leg buckled underneath him.
James Dampney for AFL.com.au

Wednesday, 20 August 2014
Sports medico Dr Peter Larkins says the future is grim for Jonathon Patton after the key forward tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee for the second time.
Larkins said Patton’s options were limited because of the surgery he underwent in Sweden early in 2012 to treat patellar tendinopathy (also known as jumper’s knee).
“The choice for him is to have another hamstring [taken from] the opposite knee, so you take good hamstring tissue out of the left knee,” Larkins said.
“Because he’s had patella tendon issues you don’t want to take patella tendon from his knee because it’s not a healthy tendon, and he’s already had the right hamstring taken out.
, it’s not great news.”
Nathan Schmook for AFL.com.au

Cannot be relied on to see out a season, not worth the risk especially when we have the chance to pick up the best youngster going around, this is our best draft choice ever and I don’t want to see it wasted. My only hope is that Sheedy has nothing to do with it in light of his connections with GWS and his crap draft choices (remember all the Fark Carlton rejects) towards the end of his stint with Essendon.

I posted yesterday before the GWS v BDGS that i didn’t want Patton. Please look at the first 3 minutes of last quarter. Attacked the contest like a Farking Ballerina. No offence to Ballerina’s

Patton has only managed to get some confidence in his body late in the season. He’s barely played 50 games and in his last four games he’s managed bags of 6, 5 and 4. Do not want. We’ve got Bellchambers!

I’m not convinced we should be giving away pick 1, for him and another top 10 pick.

But any bloke that kicks 4 goals in a preliminary final, in one of the hotest contested games of the year, is no hack.

He seems to be moving a lot better and testing out that knee. I reckon he’ll get more mobile as he picks up his fitness base and confidence.

Anyone that says they don’t want him have had a set opinion, that nothing will change their mind, and are simply being stubborn.

Some serious BS in here. Patton wasn't just sitting on his ■■■■ in the f50 and getting lucky. He read the play before anyone else and ran forward.

The Dogs backline didn’t let anyone else off the hook. Jeremy Cameron… the great white hope didn’t get near it. You don’t lock 4 goals in a prelim being a truck.

4 goals in a Prelim = average
60 goals in a season (Jenkins) = average

Not sure if being sarcastic but if I take both those statements as I read them you are right.

Both average.

I challenge anyone to tell me JoeDan wouldn’t have kicked a truckload more in the same sides/fwd set ups.

If Joseph Daniher was playing in the Bullies forward line, he would kick 100 goals, and 230 points and 67 Out on the full.

I'm not convinced we should be giving away pick 1, for him and another top 10 pick.

But any bloke that kicks 4 goals in a preliminary final, in one of the hotest contested games of the year, is no hack.

He seems to be moving a lot better and testing out that knee. I reckon he’ll get more mobile as he picks up his fitness base and confidence.

Anyone that says they don’t want him have had a set opinion, that nothing will change their mind, and are simply being stubborn.

He did nothing to change my mind. Considering how Worsfold played the game i hope he was watching that passage of play. Patton is big enough to hold a bull out to ■■■■.

Urinate

Some serious BS in here. Patton wasn't just sitting on his ■■■■ in the f50 and getting lucky. He read the play before anyone else and ran forward.

The Dogs backline didn’t let anyone else off the hook. Jeremy Cameron… the great white hope didn’t get near it. You don’t lock 4 goals in a prelim being a truck.

4 goals in a Prelim = average
60 goals in a season (Jenkins) = average

Not sure if being sarcastic but if I take both those statements as I read them you are right.

Both average.

I challenge anyone to tell me JoeDan wouldn’t have kicked a truckload more in the same sides/fwd set ups.

Joe could’ve just kicked straight and got 60 for us.

We should be focussing on mids mids mids, and keeping spare salary for a real push at players next year as we move up the ladder.

Do you reckon I get a little bit of guilty pleasure out of witnessing you finally seeing the light? :wink:

I cannot believe what I'm reading! A few pages back someone asserted that Bellchambers could play his role better than him. Whoever kicks 4 goals for us in a Prelim will be remembered as a club champion no matter what he does subsequent.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but seriously!

Pick 1 hysteria in full effect, this silly season has been x 10’d on Blitzland!

Cordy was better? Now you guys are just sounding bitter...

Why would I be bitter about this? Biased? (Probably, was going for the dogs) Wrong? (Possibly, was also drunk).
Standing by Patton being average last night though. I have no issues going for him if he’s good enough, just not seeing the value there from the games I’ve seen of him.

A very fair point Allblack.
However, I’d argue that you don’t draft a 200cm power forward to get them over the back in an open forward line. That’s typically the MO of your smaller forwards, and still not a trait I’d trade down pick 1 for.

However, I’d argue that you don’t draft a 200cm power forward to get them over the back in an open forward line. That’s typically the MO of your smaller forwards, and still not a trait I’d trade down pick 1 for.

You absolutely get a 200cm power fwd to kick 4 goals in a crunch finals game. All the good news in the past few days has got to some of your heads.

You absolutely get a 200cm power fwd to kick 4 goals in a crunch finals game. All the good news in the past few days has got to some of your heads.

The point is about what you’d pay for what type of skillset in that position.
Otherwise, let’s forget Patton and just give pick 1 to the doggies for Clay Smith. Cause forward line sorted right?

The point is about what you’d pay for what type of skillset in that position.
Otherwise, let’s forget Patton and just give pick 1 to the doggies for Clay Smith. Cause forward line sorted right?

I understand that it is a big and contentious call, but bring more to the table than 1 game (which was actually a very decent one). And bring facts, not just labels like “he’s a truck”.

Prior to his knee injury in 2014, Patton ranked 12th in the competition for contested marks - the youngest player ranked in the top-20. This year he averaged as many contested marks as Nick Riewoldt. and averaged as many marks inside 50 as Jenkins and JD.

As for the way he got his goals last night - Blimey! The Bulldogs set up in defense is very difficult for a marking fwd. Their team zone defense creates 2 on 1’s all the time and make contested marking extremely difficult. Look how hard it was for Kennedy who thrives on 1 on 1 's. So what did he do? He found another way to exploit their defence by timing his runs and finding space. This is called smart, intuitive and industrious - not lazy!

I’m not sold on getting him because I tend to be conservative with giving away draft picks. But seriously, calling Patton average and overrated makes me wonder if you’ve seen him play more than the 1 game.

I don’t want him just because I want to draft mids. But it we could get him without losing the #1 pick (because I’m convinced that the lions will get pick 3 as priority) I say go for it. A much better combination with Joe than darling.

Would get a game in the Essendon side week in week out. If we could get players like this we are not in the position as a club to reject

@Pevster can’t figure out how to quote just small sections, so apologies.

I went back and double checked, but I never called him a truck or overrated (pretty sure you’re crediting me with other posters).
I also specifically qualified that my opinion was only based on the game last night (and the small handful of other times I’ve seen him), this was in response to those suggesting last night’s game was definitive evidence of why we should pick him up.
I didn’t see a lot of the power forward skillset I was looking for and so, at this stage, I don’t value him (at the pick 1 downgrade cost) as the panacea to Essendon’s forward line. That was all.