Patton Pending

AFL trade whispers: Essendon should look at Jonathon Patton after signing key defender Cale Hooker

Jay Clark and Sam Landsberger

ESSENDON needs to find Joe Daniher a co-pilot and should make Jonathon Patton a trade priority.

On the back of Cale Hooker’s long-term commitment it is time for the Bombers to be bold and aggressive.

Patton is signed until 2017 and happy in Sydney — but gettable, possibly even this year given the high percentage of players now traded under contract.

And after recovering from two ACLs the No. 1 draft pick won’t cost the farm, like his mate Tom Boyd.

The Herald Sunrevealed Patton this month purchased a $1.24 million house in Richmond and he might not even wind up in the Giants’ best team, given Rory Lobb’s emergence alongside Jeremy Cameron.

GWS also has a swath of promising academy products on the way, including key-position goalkickers. Scary stuff.

Patton’s parents are friends with Bombers list manager Adrian Dodoro while Essendon innovation manager Kevin Sheedy coached him for two seasons at Greater Western Sydney.

Faced with a similar forward conundrum last year, Melbourne aggressively secured a second top-10 pick and landed spearhead Sam Weideman to partner Hogan.

The top of this year’s draft class is filled with midfielders, so the Bombers will need to think laterally if they want to beef up their failing forward line.

If not Patton, Jack Martin is a name which should be on Dodoro’s whiteboard.

Martin grew up a Bombers man and is coming on at a rate of knots this year, his ball use and goalsense already in the top bracket.

A mini Michael O’Loughlin, some have mused.

Again, Martin is contracted until 2017 and there are no signs he will leave the Suns — but a player of his quality would eliminate the urgent need to find A-grade midfielders, list expert Chris Pelchen said.

Essendon supporters have been through the ringer the past four years. As the club finally shows signs of emerging through the other side it is time to go all out.

Patton is a magnificent long laser-like pass. No height and hits his man from 50-55m.

Not for us though.

Pick 1 and 19 for Cameron?

More like Pick 1 & Pick 1

throw in another 1.

Pick 1 and pick 11? Done.

I expect this to now happen. We’ve decreed it.

I don’t want Patton but can I say that this thread has the best title on Blitz?

I don't want Patton but can I say that this thread has the best title on Blitz?

My favorite is the one that makes me think of the song from Top Gun.

throw in another 1.

Best game I have seen him play. Credit to him.

Tomlinson is off my list of wants. Destroyed by t-Rex Cloke

Not a surprise. Tomlinson shouldn’t be playing kpd, especially on someone like Cloke whose strength is explosiveness and contested marking.

Tomlinson’s strengths are mobility and ground work for someone his size. Play him as a roaming chf or tall mid.

Scrap Patton, Can we just go after J Cameron? …Bliss

Patton for Bellchambers. Do it

Would be surplus to them surely

They've got Lobb playing that role.

Reckon Key defence is one area - maybe the only area - GWS havent nailed down yet. If i was them, i'd be making Marchbank a priority signing and also chasing a ready made one.
They should be signing Nathan Brown as a free agent.
Maybe even try Mitchell Brown. He'd be cheap, and is behind a queue at WCE.

Or Pears haha

Reckon Key defence is one area - maybe the only area - GWS havent nailed down yet. If i was them, i'd be making Marchbank a priority signing and also chasing a ready made one.
Maybe even try Mitchell Brown. He'd be cheap, and is behind a queue at WCE.

Reckon Key defence is one area - maybe the only area - GWS havent nailed down yet. If i was them, i’d be making Marchbank a priority signing and also chasing a ready made one.

GENERAL PATTON ON THE MARCH

Two ACLs. In a bloke that size, I can’t help but wonder if he would be Gumby mk2. Would rather we cast our net elsewhere.

I’m sure Jackets is way ahead of these blokes. But still, it’s nice to read something mildly positive about the club for a change.

Tbh I’m not sure he’s mobile enough for the modern game unless he can monster guys close to goal like Hawkins (and I don’t think he’s that big/strong)
We also don’t have enough small quick guys to make up for his lack of speed defensively

Happy to look at him and he’s still young so would not expect much from him at his age anyway (as with Joe Daniher). However, would not want to give away too much at all.