Paul Salmon article BULLYING

Saw him in Balwyn a few months ago.
Was wearing a business suit.

1 Like

I don’t mind the idea of J Daniher playing with Sydney, I didn’t like the price the EFC were asking. The eventual outcome was understandable.

Maybe you’d have got him if you went through the right channels.
But you didn’t.
You thought could low-ball and do the dirty.
Learnings.

2 Likes

You have it the wrong way around… Joe isn’t going to sydney because of the price they were prepared to pay was laughable… Thanks sydney… we have Joe for at least another year… and if he still wants to leave at the end of next season, at least Essendon has a year to try to find a decent replacement.
Very happy with the outcome.

Not sure there are many like-for-like J Daniher replacements are available off the shelf just quietly. That is, unless you’re referring to The Lizard?

Who? Diggers?

Read this, didn’t see the date of post, thought it was today’s article

1 Like

I marched for the players.

2 Likes

When I first started playing senior footy I was a small kid who looked 12. I got harassed by some of the guys for not wanting to shower with them. I just wasn’t comfortable at that time to get naked with a bunch of blokes…so id cop it from them…then my mates.
As time passed it didn’t bother me, but you would see this bullying go on for years whilst playing. That was just a small taste of it…again even just year making yourself presentable by brushing your hair was gonna get you a flogging.

Glad I’m out of the system haha

Fish was my favourite player growing up till Hirdy in 1994…Fish kicked all the goals! I had 3 on my jersey

2 Likes

Lol.

I was the same.
Mind you, the shower at home was never more than a click from the ground.

But still, ‘not showering with a bunch of blokes, that’s gay.’

Never bothered me.

Having said that, I’m not saying there wasn’t bullying. Of blokes who wouldn’t put in.
Not proud of it.
Not ashamed of it.

He probably doesn’t need to work much, mrs Salmon is a very bright lady, does something influential in academia.

1 Like

That is true re like for like… but I don’t think sydney really wanted to get the job done as they were not prepared to part with any player who might fill a need for Essendon. It would seem that they didn’t want him - at least not this year. Like I said, imo it is a great result for Essendon because if Joe still wants to go at the end of next season the club has time to find a suitable replacement.

Academics are criminally underpaid.

1 Like

Depends how high up you get. She’s pretty high up.

She’s Co-Director of the Institute for Physical Activity and Nutrition at Deakin Uni.

1 Like

He’s an entrepreneur now and I attended a presentation a few months ago in which he presented. Talks well, very extroverted, freely acknowledges that his wife is the clever one, but it was a interesting presentation. Clearly an Essendon man still, but he was open with some of the struggles through his career and dealing with the treatment he got early on. It was relevant to the topic as he was discussing a product they’ve developed to help kids manage better at school.

Caught up with him afterwards and he was pretty candid about a lot of things, and very engaging. Discussed the situation at Essendon - this is before we strung some wins together - and he had an opinion on the coaching situation. He was a Worsfold sceptic.

7 Likes

Yes, the Fish has done very well in the corporate sector. I read his book, when he did his knee in ‘84 it made him realise that he needed something other than football in his life. He set himself up very well for post-footy.