Peta Searle

I have to say congratulations to Peta Searle on her appointment as a development coach at the Saints and well done to the Saints on starting to shatter the glass ceiling by appointing her to the role.

Searle's CV is impressive.

5 premierships as senior coach in the VWFL.

Learned a lot under Gary Ayres at Port Melbourne.

Worked this year with Daniel Harford at St. Kevins.

A teacher (who I worked alongside at Brighton Secondary College 14 years ago!) and a single mum.

Congrats all round.

Saints? Good luck then, she will need plenty of it. 

Did someone from the Age write an article on this lady a few months back about how she was a great assistant coach but was going to give it up because she couldn't get a gig in the AFL? I think Ayres said in the article that she is a great talent and it's a shame she will be lost from Football.

Or was it another female assistant in the VFL?

Did someone from the Age write an article on this lady a few months back about how she was a great assistant coach but was going to give it up because she couldn't get a gig in the AFL? I think Ayres said in the article that she is a great talent and it's a shame she will be lost from Football.

Or was it another female assistant in the VFL?

Yes, she is the one. Peta was offered $5000 to keep coaching at Port Melbourne IIRC and she just couldn't do it having two kids to support. She had given up and decided to go back to teaching and now she has the appointment at the Saints.

Good for her. Hopefully her career goes off as the first female coach in the AFL.

Who cares.the irony of her going to the saints…

I assume she's not a teenager so she shouldn't have a problem.

I assume she's not a teenager so she shouldn't have a problem.

As long as she is of normal height or at least wears fireproof clothing she should be fine.

'Searley'

Who cares.the irony of her going to the saints....

I do. 

Fantastic achievement for a woman to break into the male dominated coaching ranks of the highest level of professional sport in this country. 

Unfortunate that it has to be at St Kilda but you can't have everything. 

I trust she got the role because she's the best man for the job?

I trust she got the role because she's the best man for the job?

RACIST.

She’s done a great job. And the timing is perfect for women’s round coming up at the end of the month. Well, not sure if it’s actually called that.

But anyway, there will be the top 40-50 women’s footballers lining up for the Demons and Bulldogs at a etihad. Last year this game was held at the G, and the year before it was an AA squad that played against each other.

There’s some seriously talented footballers and genuine athletes in the comp. it’s the highest level of this sport, and it’s be great if we could keep the sexist gags under wraps.

I have family and friends playing, so will definatley be there cheering them on.

If you wonder how good they are, it’s similar to a high quality juniors game. They aren’t as big as the blokes obviously, and can’t kick as far. But the skills are great and they’re playing for keeps, not uncommon to see a few skirmishes.

Well done Peta, well done to women footballers everywhere.

I played junior softball with Peta, even back then she had an amazing understanding of sport. She also was an excellent cricketer and a great girl to talk to. I am so happy for her…yay!

Never heard of him