Pick your best Essendon side 1993-2020

It’s hard to see Watson and Misiti in the same midfield tbh.

3 Likes

B: Hardwick Fletcher D.Solomon
HB: M.Hibberd Hooker Wanganeen
C: Heppell Watson Long
HF: Hird Lucas Mercuri
FF: Rioli Lloyd M.Johnson
Foll: Ryder J.Johnson Z.Merrett
Int: Hurley, Misiti, Caracella, Daniher

Coin toss between Gary O’Donnell and Misiti.

No Bewick makes baby Jesus cry.

11 Likes

Wanganeen Hurley Fletcher
Thompson Hooker Hardwick
Long Misiti Ramanaskus
Hird Lucas Mercuri
Bewick Lloyd Rioli

Ryder Watson J. Johnson

Z. Merrett J. Daniher Heppell Wellman

2 Likes

I’ll have your front six, thanks.
And three of them can play midfield.

I’ve been a bit harsh on Daniher. He’s a pretty handy bench/second ruck!

Surely the correct answer is the 2000 GF side (or maybe the 2000 Qual final side)?

1 Like

I can find room for our two Brownlow medalists.

4 Likes

Harsh on Jobe

Wim was presumably referring to the suggestion one post earlier that the 2000 GF team be adopted, which would leave out the other two Brownlow medallists.

3 Likes

I actually did this with my mates the other day, but our rules were they must have played a game since you’ve been alive. I only remember games from '93 GF onwards, so this team fits the bill I think.

FB: Wanganeen | Fletcher | Thompson
HB: Solomon | Harvey | Wellman
C: Long | J. Watson | T.Watson
HF: Hird | Lucas | Mercuri
FF: Bewick | Lloyd | Rioli
Foll: Salmon | Misiti | J.Johnson
Inter: O’Donnell | Hardwick | Caracella | C.C.Collins
Emerg: Saad | Walla | M.Johnson | Ramanauskas

Midfield should only read

Kicketts (dale/Derek) - long (Michael) - dick (Willie)

4 Likes

That’s a crazy call. Every single emergency is ■■■■■■

B - Dimma - Fletcher - Wanganeen
HB - Thompson - Wellman - Solly
C - Watson - Heppell - Long
HF - Hird - Lucas - Mercuri
F - Bewick - Łloyd - Rioli
R - Salmon - JJ - Misiti
Int - Zerrett - O’Donnell- MJ - Rama

Have played favourites with Solly but he was great at his best. Him, Dimma, JJ and MJ in the same team genuinely hurt people. I loved it.

The challenging part about picking players after 2000, is that they played very few Finals games. While all the players prior to 2000, were big game players that stood up in Finals.

When you compare Watson, Heppell, Merrett, Tippa, etc.
vs
Caracella, Mark Johnson, Ramanascus, Misiti, Solomon, etc.

It’s hard when you have players who have played in handful of finals matches who have been belted every Single time…
Then the second group, you have players that stood up and performed when they needed to.

2 Likes

It’s sad that most of the team is from the 1993-2000 team. We really have recruited/developed poorly for the best part of 15 years. Both Jobe and Joe are also father/sons, so we have been somewhat lucky too.

The challenge is how to manage the ruck. Tempted to put Joe Daniher in, but it’s pretty hard to make a case for him displacing any of the forwards. I think Salmon as the sole ruckman and hope he plays the whole game out, with relief from Finalist ruckman Hooker when required.

The forward 6 makes me very happy.

B: Hardwick, Fletcher, Wanganeen
HB: Harvey, Wellman, Thompson

C: Long, J Watson, O’Donnell

HF: Mercuri, Lucas, Hird
F: Bewick, Lloyd, Rioli

R: Salmon, Misiti, Z Merrett
I: J Johnson, Hooker, Heppell, Goddard

E: Hurley, J Daniher, Ramanauskas, Caracella

B: Wanganeen - Hurley - Fletcher
HB: Hardwick - Hooker - Goddard

C: Z.Merrett - Misiti - Long
R: Ryder - Watson (vc) - J.Johnson

HF: Hird © - Lucas - Mercuri
F: Walla - Lloyd - Bewick

Int: Harvey, Heppell, O’Donnell, Rioli

I’ll admit that I don’t remember too much of the early to mid 90’s but blokes like Harvey, Bomber and O’Donnell have enormous reputations and CV’s.

I feel this defence has a good balance of aerial strength, tall/small shutdown versatility and enough rebounding class.

Midfield won’t lose a single clearance or hard ball with Watson, Misiti and J.Johson. Has enough speed and classy footskills on the wings and forwards who will rotate through the centre.

Forwardline has serious class and goal kicking ability. JD could have pushed out Lucas had he not been injured for so long, but in reality he’s only put together 1 elite season.

Interchange has enough coverage over most of the ground. Would love to have snuck in Lovett as he was as good as a super fast goal kicking winger/HF you’ll ever see in full flight but unfortunately that wasn’t consistent enough. Would have been amazing had he played in a top 4 team with the right culture.

This backline wouldn’t be taking many prisoners.

MJ - Ambrose - Fletcher

Solly - Beast-mode Hurley - Hardwick

With Dean Wallis off the bench.

2 Likes

I reckon Wellman is an underrated player.

Played CHB in a time when he was forced to play the likes of Wayne Carey (I know Fletcher took Carey a few times).

Wellman was ahead of his time, with his ability to beat his opponent, then run off him when we had possession. No defenders did this in the late 90’s (maybe Wanganeen!).
He also was able to peel off his direct opponent and take intercept marks, and give the likes of Wallis and Fletcher a chop out. Which worked really well against Lockett.

Let’s not forget he was vice-captain in a premiership team & 2x All Australian.

I love Hurley & Hooker… but Wellman is ahead of them.

6 Likes

I’d have Caracella in instead of Rioli.

2 Likes