Pick your best Essendon side 1993-2020

Thought he was a solid player, but just like McVeigh, Monfries, Hocking & Welsh… they’re just not good enough.

I put a lot of emphasis on All Australian selection and performing in Finals as a key criteria.
The only AA player to completely miss out was McPhee.

This could be depressing!

B: Ben McNiece, Robert Stevenson, Danny Morgan
HB: Richard Cole, Kepler Bradley, Ty Zantuck
C: Darren Walsh, Ben Doolan, Jordan Bannister
HF: James Davies, Jason Laycock, Daniel McAlister (captain)
F: Shane Harvey, Jay Neagle, Mark Williams
R: Tristan Cartledge, Michael Quinn, Tom Hislop
INT: Ilija Grgic, Sam Hunt, Matthew Banks, Ken Hall

Ohh no, you missed The captain and Vice Captain!

Aaron Henneman
Mark Bolton

Did you copy mine and change the defence? :thinking:

I almost went with McKenna but decided to go with Hibberd instead. That could change soon if McKenna decides to stay beyond his contract and I really hope he stays.

Lucas at CHB? I know he did play defence but I was too young to remember - was he that good?

Bolts was alright, not great but serviceable. Henno was going to get a gig at CHF (he was a decent defender early on but up forward had no clue), but I’ve been kind to him.

Lol. I haven’t seen yours. I’ll scroll back and have a look.
He won a b&f at CHB.
Mind you, he won one at CHF as well.

1 Like

Van Unen or Tyson Slattery ahead of McNiece I reckon.

All ripping blokes off the field. Met 2 of them.

1 Like

Jay Nash and Courtenay Johns?

Harsh on Doolan imo very serviceable player

thread needs more Barnard

1 Like

And where’s Scotty Gumbleton?

Not his fault he was injured most of his career with us, but a top 5 (3)? draft pick and we got bubkis out of him

On a similar theme, the Herald Sun has listed Essendon’s top 20 players in the AFL era (1990 onwards).

1. James Hird
  2. Matthew Lloyd
  3. Gavin Wanganeen
  4. Mark Thompson
  5. Michael Long
  6. Mark Harvey
  7. Dustin Fletcher
  8. Paul Salmon
  9. Jobe Watson
  10. Scott Lucas
  11. Gary O’Donnell
  12. Mark Mercuri
  13. Steven Alessio
  14. Damien Hardwick
  15. Jason Johnson
  16. Brent Stanton
  17. Michael Hurley
  18. Dyson Heppell
  19. Zach Merrett
  20. David Zaharakis

Joe Misiti, Sean Wellman and Darren Bewick would get in ahead of any of the boys listed from 16-20 IMO.

1 Like

I made the much maligned team the other day as well.

FB: Zantuck | J.Reynolds | H.Slattery
HB: Wallis | Henneman | Atkinson
C: Lovett | Stanton | Dyson
HF: Monfries | Gumbleton | Cupido
FF: Reimers | Neagle | S.Harvey
Foll: Lalich | Myers | Bolton
Inter: Laycock | Bradley | McAlister | Carlisle
Emerg: C.Johns | Jetta | Justin Murphy | Quinn

They’re not necessarily bad players, but Essington whipping boys.

1 Like

I nearly named Joel Reynolds at FB in my Essington team. That was one of the more puzzling moves made by Sheeds ever playing him on Fev. A maligned side without Langford?

I really like Alessio, but how did he even make that list… and be ahead of Hardwick, J Johnson, Hurley & Merrett?

Bewick was a better player than Zaharakis.

Misiti was a better player than Stanton.

Interesting that Bomber Thompson is rated 4th, and most people don’t have him in their team. One of the greatest Captains this club has had.

2 Likes

That’s more like it!

Can you imagine how fickle that side would be?
Half of them wouldn’t even turn up to a match if it was raining.

It’s all subjective. I had Bomber in my team. 4th best Don since 1990? Maybe slightly high. Mercs would be top 10 for mine. Cess was undersold a fair bit IMO. Injuries really hampered him across 1995-96 when he was at his peak. He made a Vic squad in ‘95 then ended up with a lacerated kidney from memory. I just can’t cop Boris, Joey and Welly bring out of that. Effectively what they’re saying is that Zaka and Stants have had a better career than Smokin’ Joe. Unbelievable.

No, that’s not what they are saying at all. They are saying that they think that they are better players.

Better career, better player, however you want to name it. There is no way they are better footballers than Joe Misiti was. He was criminally underrated, not by Essendon supporters but clearly in the wider football community.

1 Like