Player Weight Profiles

What interests me is that Geelong have 17 players with a BMI over 25, and of those 17, 6 are over 190 cm, including Hawkins, Kolodjashnij, Blicavs, Rhys Stanley, Henry and Ratugolea.

We have 12 players with BMI 25+, and of those 12 the only ones 190+ are Kelly, Phillips (departing), Stewart (departing) and Baldwin – i.e., about 1.5 regular senior selections.

No wonder they just brushed us aside.

2 Likes

Nic Cox and Ben Hobbs basically have the same BMI. :rofl: A solid nugget and a bean pole.

The formula means for the same relative weight a taller person with have a higher BMI than a shorter person.
eg
200cm & 100kg is a BMI of 25
180cm & 80kg is a BMI of 24.7 even though 9/10 the 180cm guy is going to look a lot stockier/more muscly than the 200cm guy
It’s why in isolation BMI is kinda useless unless you do a whole bunch of calculations/comparisons to account for heights etc

I like the idea of doing data analysis but the problem here is the primary data you are relying on is almost certainly unreliable by a wide margin.

Especially at the end of the season when it’s been 7+ months since they were weighed and formally registered.

We simply don’t know that the weight data is accurate. In fact it’s more likely that we know it ISNT accurate.

Also we know BMI is a very blunt tool that doesn’t take into account different physique types (Stringer meso/endo power-type vs Cox classic ectomorph type). Nor does it take into account fitness/shred levels, e.g. Tippa 78kg ripped and fit in 2018 vs Tippa 78kg playing in the VFL in 2023.

Not having a go at you for doing this , it’s still a worthwhile exercise, but would be good to get up-to-date data

There’s no doubt that the data set would be inaccurate to some extent, and that BMI isn’t a perfect tool for analysing body shapes. But there is sufficient information to draw some broad conclusions, which confirm the eye test.

2 Likes

Yeah I think if you ran this exercise across all the clubs it would be interesting averaged across hundreds of players, the innacuracies would be less of a factor.

Here’s something for you, if you can be bothered, compare Geelong 2022 vs Essendon 2000/2001 …
The early 2000s teams were famously very muscular physiques. I’m tipping a Jason Johnson would out-BMI a Patrick Dangerfield.

Pretty sure AFL bodies have leaned down significantly in the last 20 years.

1 Like

Cox is not actually a beanpole. He’s quite solid through the core. His upper body is light.

you just have to watch a game between the two sides to see the vast difference in body shape between the 2 sides.

1 Like

So he’s a beanpole.

1 Like

VOSS needs to get bigger.

Its kid of funny that Merretts BMI is almost the same as Walla’s given all the crap walla has copped this year about his weight.

1 Like

I dare say that Ben Hobbs is nowhere near 79kg as is listed, he’d have to be at least 85kg which is Merrett’s weight and Hobbs is 4cm taller. His legs alone would weigh 78kg.

1 Like

They have.
Game requires a lot more running from everyone now.
Take Hawkins out of the equation and I can’t think of many monster forwards.
2000s had guys like Alastair Lynch, Fraser Gehrig, Jonathan Brown, both Rocca’s, David Neitz, Barry Hall, Quentin Lynch. Then at the other end you had the likes of Mal Michael, Leigh Brown, Ben Rutten, Luke Penny, Mick Martyn.

2 Likes

Just goes to show how misleading stats can be…

Why is it that when I read this thread title I see “Peter Wright Profiles”?

1 Like

GRAVYPLANE, your assessment of the past 20 years assessment of the recruitment of RUN FAST SKINNY MIDGETS at essendon is spot on.
DODO had the opportunity to recruit much bigger built players to essendon but ignored them because he beleives in the slogan SPEED KILLS. But there`s more in this game than speed.