Players Sign Off on Pay Deal

As of last year (year before maybe?) the base wage for rookie and other draftees were brought even. Whether that has been maintained I guess we won’t know until the full CBA is published, but that “average wage not including rookies” phrasing is just what they always do to make the median wage sound higher.

The article in the age makes explicit mention of the fact that they’re getting rid of the whole “rookies have to wait for injuries” thing, which I think is great.

Category-A rookie-listed players will be eligible to play senior football from 2018

1 Like

Nothing in the base qualifications (8 and 10 years), but apparently players don’t have to become a restricted FA first before becoming an unrestricted FA, which seems like bad reporting because I’m almost certain that was never the case.

Edit: the AFL site says restricted free agency has been removed entirely, the age says you just don’t have to become restricted before you become unrestricted. Pretty ■■■■■■■ big difference.

There’s also this

Also, at least one additional free agency provision to be adopted by October 2017, from:

• Free agency for life;

• Free agency portability;

• Restricted free agency at 4 years for any players under median salary;

• Such other change proposed by AFL and agreed by AFLPA.

Weird, but I guess the AFLPA will hold a vote on it or something. I’d personally think the 4 year FA for low paid players would be the best option both for low paid players, and for improving FA movement to low ranked clubs.

AFLPA summary for those interested

I’ll be the nerd who reads the whole thing once it’s published.

Congrats on making the gap between the lowest and highest paid players even bigger. Base wage $100k and rookie $71,500 only up a bit.

4 Likes

It’s the Australian American way.

3 Likes

Should have got rid of rookies
Just have listed players minimum contract at $150,000 base
And alternative talent (rookie b) at $125,000 base

Got to think of these Irish kids like McKenna
Has taken him a few years on a rookie contract to make it.

All organisations should be that the highest paid worker cannot be paid more than ten times than the lowest paid worker.

Ie Redman $150k Daniher 1.5 million per yr.

1 Like

Part of living the dream is being paid for it.

No problems here.

Anyone figured out how $12.4m salary + $1.022m ASA spread 40 ways (because they exclude rookies for Reasons) comes out to an average of $371k? I get $335k, which means the cap + ASA is $1.4m short. I guess they might be talking median, but you couldn’t calculate that until the end of the year.

The nerd is strong in this one

10 Likes

So do we get the big fish now or…

Scoop McClure saying there are three clubs that will be well off through the new CBA agreement because they have the fewest players that have the increase written into their contract.
West Coast, Adelaide and Essendon!!
Let’s go shopping!

7 Likes

Not everybody though.
McClueless suggested this morning that West Coast, Adelaide and Essendon all have a large proportion of contracts that don’t have CBA increases written into contracts. The suggestion was that those 3 clubs might have 75% of the increase sitting in the cap ready to spend.

Seriously cashed up.

1 Like

This actually concerns me given how heavily Dodoro is said to be into JJ. The prospect of dropping way too much money and draft picks on that over rated ponce becomes more and more realistic.

It depends on whether it was written into your contact. It sounds like most players with recent contacts had it written in.
You’d be filthy with your manager if he neglected it.

Agree, (perhaps pushing my own cart here) but the average viewer has less and less time/interest to consume games outside of their own team

Essendon need to go full digital channel - offer season league pass games/vfl/development games/practice matches/behind the scenes/media appearances for the week

Charge $$$ per member/supporter. I would have no need to watch Foxtel/FTA

I also find the talent is seriously diluted in some games

2 Likes

If you only ever watch your own team how do form any sort of balanced and unbiased view of your own club or anything outside of that?
I think you’d be surprised how many people watch neutral games, otherwise the AFL members wouldn’t exist and last years Prelim wouldn’t have been one of the highest rating matches in history.

This is blitz, none the opinions are balanced. I just don’t really care that much to sit through and watch other games - as life gets in the way, it’s hard to justify 3hr block outside of the great EFC. I do get bit and pieces of games, but I find the talent has been diluted.

Prelims are a different story, worth the investment - normally the best game of the year

Would like to see some metrics on minutes watched on average per round.

5 Likes

There’s always room for balanced and unbiased thought.

But I do understand your point about life getting in the way and I’m sure as ■■■■ not stumping for AFL membership myself. But I also no a number of AFL members who go to upwards of 40 games a year.

40 games a year da fark

Lucky to get along to half of my home game membership of 11 games

Footy tragics. Live for it.