Players Sign Off on Pay Deal

I fkg hate afl members. Go to a game where its reasonably packed and 2 areas are always empty. AFL members and the fkg MCC. ■■■■ em all.

3 Likes

You should have to ‘phone in’ your seat to say you’re turning up, say, 2 up to two hours before the game. If you don’t book it in, then your seat gets sold. ■■■■■■ me of also.

Thanks! Good find

Why?

internet streaming will take over television very soon.

Also with half the TV networks losing money like sieves no one is gonna contest ch7s bid. so they’ll go low probably.

Cord cutting

1 Like

But after that I can see them finally doing the league pass via NBN. $200 per year or so spread between only them will be hugely lucrative surely?

1 Like

Current deal is 2.5b / 6 six years.

They’d need around 2m subscribers @ $200/yr to get close.

1 Like

That sounds fairly reasonable. There might be a drop short term but I would be willing to pay more than $200 for the year and traditional viewers will get used to streaming given Netflix’s popularity. 2 million would probably be a disappointing number given the AFL’s drive to increase its footprint.

If AFL take it over, … and I suspect they will (from a Foxtel perspective) they could run with subs, … or just put in their own ad’s.

The FTA rights will last for at least the next 2 decades. I suspect even if FTTH was available in most homes, . the Gov Anti Siphon laws keep it there almost in perpetuity.

Okay yes but imagine it’s a product that’s $200/yr instead of Netflix’s $10/mo. And it also does work on some apps but not others and the signup process is a nightmare and most platforms just crash and it’s full of Telstra/Foxtel ads and gambling ads and you have to opt into marketing and

4 Likes

Isn’t foxtel now better value than getting an IQ box?

If you like sub-SD quality on a terrible app, sure.

Agreed 100%. Netflix has 5 million subscribers in Aus and I’d say AFL is just as popular if not more popular. Plus maybe licensing it at a higher price to pubs and bars (you’d imagine they’d be prics and do that).

But I do agree that unless they decouple it completely from Telstra and do it in house and do it right I can see it being so awful. Isn’t the NBA’s really good? Is that all in house? Could they just licence the tech?

Also Netflix at $10 a month equates to $120 a year, not outrageously shy of say $200 per year. For someone like me, being able to watch 22 EFC games live in HD without ads plus finals plus other blockbuster games plus all your Fox Footy content I’m guessing (plus historical games on demand? But lol it’s the AFL we’re talking) would be pretty fkn good value IMO… and I’m not even one of those guys who’ll sit down and watch 3/4 games a week…

1 Like

Minor point: Netflix has ~5.8 million users in Australia, coming from ~2.2 million subscriptions, at least according to what I could find.

I reckon 2 million subscribers for an AFL digital service would be a massive mountain to climb. The NBA subscription service had 26 million “game views” worldwide last year (they don’t release subscriber numbers), but that’s 26 million views for 2500 games or around 10k viewers per game.

1 Like

According to crikey 89% of Netflix subscribers are 18-24. Good luck getting anyone over 40 to sign up to Foxtel Now for streaming. And I believe stats form major sports worldwide is massively declining in that same age bracket.

The age demographic that should be able to pick up the slack by purchasing streaming packages will not be interested in paying any more than Netflix costs and will expect the same quality service.

Reckon AFL will get squeezed on both sides having hooked themselves to overpriced and over complicated content providers with a diminishing audience age. The best thing they’ve got going is they’d be the only sport in Aus big enough to interest Amazon/Facebook putting in a bid once the tech companies move in on ESPN’s remains.

Fair point on the 2.2 mil subs! Big difference.

I still think that when they tell Foxtel to go fk themselves in 6 years, the population is just that bit more tech savvy, and they offer the only show in town, if they do it well enough (big if) they’ll be fine.

1 Like

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggghhhhhhhhh

You’re forgetting add revenue.

It would be easily achievable through online vs traditional.

I don’t see how it could be only $200 a year when people pay $100 a month for Foxtel. A lot of people get Foxtel primarily for the AFL or NRL. I’d reckon it’s more like $40 a month to make streaming viable. Netflix has economy of scale that AFL could never have, the $10 a month isn’t comparable.