Players Sign Off on Pay Deal

Because people that stream, would’ve been the ones that don’t pay for fox. and would be the ones torrenting it.

they’d get access to a market they previously treat like dirt. 40 bucks will further ostracise that market.

1 Like

Why would Foxtel let them do that though. They would lose thousands of subscribers who would downgrade as they only really want Foxtel for the footy.

Doesn’t matter what fox want, its afls digital rights.

1 Like

If I was going to do it.

Take the media rights deal for an online sports streaming, looking to add other sports in the future (rugby, soccer, cricket, AFL sub leagues - VFL, SANFL, WAFL, NEAFL). Because it would be in 6 years I would offer all games in 4K and if possible in an interactive virtual 3D model you can pan around and zoom live (unlikely but a tech goal). Each sport league would have their own season pass.

Run half the games free streaming live with ads and the other half through subscriptions without ads. I’d also offer a team pass with ads for less.

I would then sell the 4 free games on 30 minute delay to free to air to cover the older crowd.

Full subscriptions would also receive access to midweek shows and content and historical back catalogue of all games. I’d be looking for 3 hours of content each non game day.

All AFL events free stream with ads and 30 minute delay on FTA.

Game commentating would be intentionally biased, each game with two commentators who barrack for a team. i.e. Andrew Welsh, Matthew Lloyd, James Bradshaw and Wayne Carey for an Essendon vs North match. Boundary riders are journos. More commentators across the league spreads the load for the egos so I can pay them less.

12 month Season passes would be $450, team passes $250. Remember it’s 6 years so you have to account for inflation and Foxtel with a sports package is approx $750 for 12 months.

Access would be worldwide hoping to grow international viewing. If any bodies a VC who wants to give me 500 mill to have a crack I’d be happy to talk.

Offering would be on all platforms, iOS, android and windows - browser and apps.

3 Likes

I think the AFL will face similar issues to the EPL and NFL

1. EPL TV numbers are shrinking (as audiences are putting their eyeballs on digital options)
  2. NFL has admitted it has struggled to grow a national strong brand internationally

On point 1, it has to be a digital play - with a full afl digital offering. Like most has mentioned, that will probably look like a type of league pass, I would prefer a club pass with all the EFC curated content. BomberTV is nearly there, all they would need is match day cameras and live production and bingo. I can see this being knocked as it will leave the smaller clubs for dust.

The second challenge on this is - 5 to 10 years from now sports will be an opt-in monthly fee option via netflix/amazon/hulu (this is already happening in hulu America)

The challenge for the AFL is - if the average joe is presented with say 3 options in their Netflix account to opt in monthly - EPL/NBA/AFL - where will there $$ go?

The second issue is trying to build the brand nationally, let alone internationally. AFL is still playing second fiddle to the largest market in Australia

$100 for Foxtel gets you just about everything. This is not only sport but just one sport.

Compare to say Spotify which gives you every song in the history of the world for $12 a month… AFL won’t be able to justify anywhere near even $50 a month

Economy of scale is more or less moot. Servers and bandwidth are cheap and getting cheaper from AWS etc. AFL will be big enough to even build their own CDN servers.

The AFL don’t care, they will charge what they charge because they can and because, people will pay to watch AFL.
The AFL would only ever consider dropping the price if there was some massive drop off.

I go to the local club to watch the Bombers only and do not have Foxtel. Being in NSW we get free to air for both NSW teams.

Reading this following last night’s performance makes me feel better