Playing badly against bad teams (or not)

Personally I’d rather beat Hawthorn than Melbourne … but each to their own.

Personally I'd rather beat Hawthorn than Melbourne .. but each to their own.

The issue many have is not that we lose too many games to teams lower on the ladder but that we play badly against them. The win against St Kilda is a prime example. What would comic book guy say about the win on the weekend?

The issue many have is not that we lose too many games to teams lower on the ladder but that we play badly against them. The win against St Kilda is a prime example. What would comic book guy say about the win on the weekend?

that’s gonna drag your avg winning margin against bottom six sides down from 44 points?

Our style of play, and specifically our poor forward 50 entry v conversion ratio, gives even the weaker teams more opportunity for possession (via turnovers). Those teams tend to play a loose man in defence, which makes it even easier for them to rebound and attack.

Against the Saints, we routinely gave up the ball in our forward half when it wasn’t marked from a long kick, and we had nowhere near enough forward pressure on their defenders once the ball hit the ground.

I reckon that was part of the reason why Hirdy made a point of criticising Jake and Joe’s defensive efforts in his presser, but I think it also speaks to our lack of pace and defensive pressure on the ground in our forward line.

that’s gonna drag your avg winning margin against bottom six sides down from 44 points?

That would include the two games where we won by 148 and 138 (adds 2 goals to ave winning margin). There have also been games (GWS in 2013) where we won by I think 40-odd despite being down at HT plus bulldogs x 2 and lions last year.

If we are a good team(ie: 5-8) beating bottom 4 teams (think bottom 6 is a stretch) should be around the 85-90% and the manner is important. You won’t beat them all by 80 points, but it is clinical.

Our style of play, and specifically our poor forward 50 entry v conversion ratio, gives even the weaker teams more opportunity for possession (via turnovers). Those teams tend to play a loose man in defence, which makes it even easier for them to rebound and attack.

Against the Saints, we routinely gave up the ball in our forward half when it wasn’t marked from a long kick, and we had nowhere near enough forward pressure on their defenders once the ball hit the ground.

I reckon that was part of the reason why Hirdy made a point of criticising Jake and Joe’s defensive efforts in his presser, but I think it also speaks to our lack of pace and defensive pressure on the ground in our forward line.

It felt like 80% of collingwood’s goals were from our turnovers and similar for saints as well.

That would include the two games where we won by 148 and 138 (adds 2 goals to ave winning margin). There have also been games (GWS in 2013) where we won by I think 40-odd despite being down at HT plus bulldogs x 2 and lions last year.

If we are a good team(ie: 5-8) beating bottom 4 teams (think bottom 6 is a stretch) should be around the 85-90% and the manner is important. You won’t beat them all by 80 points, but it is clinical.

i think you are mistaking a theoretically ideal team with a good team.

I’ve seen plenty of top two teams have plenty of workmanlike do enough wins against ■■■■ opposition.

It felt like 80% of collingwood’s goals were from our turnovers and similar for saints as well.

Not surprising when turnovers comprise 60-65% of a teams errors.

Like many sports footy is a game of errors - Usually you win if you make less errors.

But 47% of those 67% can sometimes convert about 93% back to roughly 12%

I’ve seen plenty of top two teams have plenty of workmanlike do enough wins against ■■■■ opposition.

Very true. All teams have ■■■■ wins but we have a knack for it. When it comes to ■■■■ wins or losses to ■■■■ poor opposition (bottom 6) Sydney and Hawthorn had one each last year - Hawthorn by 7 points over GWS in round 11 and Sydney going down to GWS by 31 points in round 1.

Here’s how we went regarding ■■■■ wins or losses to the bottom 6 in 2014:

1- Round 5 loss to StKlida by 15 points
2- Round 7 win over WB by 8 points
3- Round 8 win of BL by 8 points
4- Round 12 win over GWS by15 points
5- Round 13 loss to Melbourne by 1 point
6- Round 18 win over WB by 7 points
7- Round 22 win over GC by 19 points (included because Ablett not playing)
8- Round 23 draw against Carlton.

8 games. 8 f**king games of playing badly against bad teams. I know we aren’t in the same ilk as the swans and hawks, but fmd. 8 games.

Perhaps we need a captain who is a bully. Someone who really enjoys heaping misery on other people.

I get the feeling we have too many guys who would swap teams at school if they were on the winning side and the game was a bit lopsided.

Very true. All teams have ■■■■ wins but we have a knack for it. When it comes to ■■■■ wins or losses to ■■■■ poor opposition (bottom 6) Sydney and Hawthorn had one each last year - Hawthorn by 7 points over GWS in round 11 and Sydney going down to GWS by 31 points in round 1.

8 games. 8 f**king games of playing badly against bad teams. I know we aren’t in the same ilk as the swans and hawks, but fmd. 8 games.

it is wierd. makes you wonder if their was something off field happening

#backourboyswecanheapshitonthemforthisyearnextyear

I must be crazy.
I see in the above, 5 wins, 1 draw, two losses.
One of the losses is to a team that beat both Hawthorn and Sydney.
The other loss was by 1 point.

Maybe I’m not crazy. maybe I’m just not a miserable ■■■■.

Perhaps we need a captain who is a bully. Someone who really enjoys heaping misery on other people.

I get the feeling we have too many guys who would swap teams at school if they were on the winning side and the game was a bit lopsided.

Yep. Killer instinct appears to be lacking.

I must be crazy.

So falling over the line against crap teams 5 times a season is satisfactory? Do teams that win flags do it that often?

Calm your farm mate. We’re all bombers supporters and we’re all entitled to an opinion. No need to imply that I’m a miserable f**k.

it is wierd. makes you wonder if their was something off field happening

#backourboyswecanheapshitonthemforthisyearnextyear

So how would you explain it happening twice already this year?

I must be crazy.

So falling over the line against crap teams 5 times a season is satisfactory? Do teams that win flags do it that often?

Calm your farm mate. We’re all bombers supporters and we’re all entitled to an opinion. No need to imply that I’m a miserable f**k.

Did that hurt a little, fella? Sorry! mwaaah!

Oh - can’t take it back?
Maybe I’m just as sick of miserable ■■■■■ going on and ■■■■■■■ on about how sh*t my club is, as you are about being called a miserable ■■■■?

Good to see we can have a mature discussion!

Blitz - where we abuse others who don’t think the same way we do.

Good to see we can have a mature discussion!

Blitz - where we abuse others who don’t think the same way we do.

Oh come on, man - I didn’t abuse you. That’s hardly abuse. And for the record - I do wholly support others having differing opinions. But I can still express that it ■■■■■ me, can’t I? It’s why I have so many people on ignore. I’m blocking my ears and eyes, and singing lalalalala