PNG police shoot protesting university students in Port Moresby

Holy Moly … what the hell is going on up there? This O’neill dude is rotten to the core, & has to go, surely.

PNG police shoot protesting university students in Port Moresby Updated 10 minutes ago

Police in Papua New Guinea have shot university students who were trying to march to Parliament in the capital Port Moresby.

Police stopped the protesting students from leaving the University of Papua New Guinea this morning.

Gary Juffa, the Governor of Oro Province and a critic of the O’Neill Government, said on Twitter that he spoke to students and was informed that several were shot.

Mr Juffa said the issue started with argument between a metropolitan police superintendent and a student.

The students say police fired shots directly into the crowd when the students would not let them arrest the president of the student council.

Student Gerald Peni told the ABC a number of people were injured and some might have died.

“They fired shots, they fired shots directly at the crowd. They fired tear gases, I was right in front. And many of the students they fell, they got injured, we don’t know how many casualties we may have at the moment,” he said.

“Right now all the students are dispersed all around the university grounds.”

Students have been protesting and boycotting classes at the campus for weeks, calling on Prime Minister Peter O’Neill to face corruption allegations.

More to come.

That’s no good.

Reports of up to a half dozen students shot & killed. We have a 3rd world type dictator on our doorstep, & seemingly don’t give a shitt.

Lets just say we do give a shiit, what do you suggest we do?

Write him a stern letter?
Unfriend him on facebook?
Dob on him to the UN?
Perhaps an invasion to overthrow the government and install our own puppet one?

Sanctions will only hurt the poor, cutting aid will only hurt the poor

Its great to be outraged but there’s really not much we can do.

Lets just say we do give a shiit, what do you suggest we do?

Write him a stern letter?
Unfriend him on facebook?
Dob on him to the UN?
Perhaps an invasion to overthrow the government and install our own puppet one?

Sanctions will only hurt the poor, cutting aid will only hurt the poor

Its great to be outraged but there’s really not much we can do.

Send up Andy D . He’s good at obfuscating matters.

It’s good to know nothing can ever be done about anything. Takes so much pressure off.

The case could be made that since we let them be their own country in 1975 that hardly anything has gone right up there.

It's good to know nothing can ever be done about anything. Takes so much pressure off.

Helps me sleep better at night ;p

Holy Moly .. what the hell is going on up there? This O'neill dude is rotten to the core, & has to go, surely. PNG police shoot protesting university students in Port Moresby Updated 10 minutes ago

Police in Papua New Guinea have shot university students who were trying to march to Parliament in the capital Port Moresby.

Police stopped the protesting students from leaving the University of Papua New Guinea this morning.

Gary Juffa, the Governor of Oro Province and a critic of the O’Neill Government, said on Twitter that he spoke to students and was informed that several were shot.

Mr Juffa said the issue started with argument between a metropolitan police superintendent and a student.

The students say police fired shots directly into the crowd when the students would not let them arrest the president of the student council.

Student Gerald Peni told the ABC a number of people were injured and some might have died.

“They fired shots, they fired shots directly at the crowd. They fired tear gases, I was right in front. And many of the students they fell, they got injured, we don’t know how many casualties we may have at the moment,” he said.

“Right now all the students are dispersed all around the university grounds.”

Students have been protesting and boycotting classes at the campus for weeks, calling on Prime Minister Peter O’Neill to face corruption allegations.

More to come.

Mate the whole government is rotten up there. They have 40% of the nations GDP unaccounted for most years.

The Prime Minister that O’Neill over threw, Sir Somare, owns half of Cairns, has a house in the Greek Islands, property in NZ. He personally used over six million dollars in tax payers money flying himself back and forth to Singapore when he was in power three separate occasions.

For every shooting they announce there is a hundred more that no one hears about. The place is beyond help.

Is the parliament made up of members from a particular ethnic group or is it a a complete free-for-all?

Mainly nationals, but if there is a long term ex-pat either Chinese/Australian/American they can get in, but generally they will get voted out/forced out or just resign out of sheer frustration…

There was a guy when I was in Lae that had the Morobe province basically all sewn up around five years ago, long term expat fella. The National fella he was running against, Luther Wenge, went to the Lutheran Church and promised them millions of Kina to sway their voters. Lutheran is the most influential Church on the northern side of the country. SO sure enough, if you don’t vote for Wenge you don’t go to heaven and Wenge is swept back into power.

So So stupid.

You may not know but what % of the population would have or have had access to at least a high school education? From the example you gave it seems that as long as the people don’t know any better, the ones that do will keep on taking advantage of them.

Meanwhile in Hornsby a bloke wielding a knife was shot by NSW Police, but, not before 2 women got injured by the first 2 bullets fired.

And we get to see it in all it’s camera phone glory, from multiple angles, uncensored, on morning fkn TV … there used to be rules about showing graphic stuff on the news, let alone in the AM when the kids are around.

WTF Channel 9?

You may not know but what % of the population would have or have had access to at least a high school education? From the example you gave it seems that as long as the people don't know any better, the ones that do will keep on taking advantage of them.

Schooling is pretty expensive, access to high school is pretty much for the more privileged families. Or you might get one village nominate a family member with a bit of smarts that they all want to see get ahead in life so they pool money to send them.

But you’re right I reckon, I thought when I was up there m, there is no middle class. You’re either super wealthy or super poor, if the super poor rise up against the super wealthy, all that happens is what happens to this protesters.

You may not know but what % of the population would have or have had access to at least a high school education? From the example you gave it seems that as long as the people don't know any better, the ones that do will keep on taking advantage of them.

Schooling is pretty expensive, access to high school is pretty much for the more privileged families. Or you might get one village nominate a family member with a bit of smarts that they all want to see get ahead in life so they pool money to send them.

But you’re right I reckon, I thought when I was up there m, there is no middle class. You’re either super wealthy or super poor, if the super poor rise up against the super wealthy, all that happens is what happens to this protesters.

Outside of of the main towns/cities life is still very much basic and set up around villages. Education is low and work is minimal.

Outside of of the main towns/cities life is still very much basic and set up around villages. Education is low and work is minimal.

Incorrect. There is heaps of work, the problem is there is more work than there are workers. You can’t get people to stay around long enough to train them before they either start stealing or they just can’t be bothered and leave to go back to village life.

they just need a work ethic, which unfortunately most of the population don’t have.