Political Correctness

There was talk a little while ago that in universities, lecturers/tutors have to specify in advance if they were going to use a word that could possibly give offence, and some clown walked out of a lecture where the word prostitute was used, saying it was ■■■■■-phobic.

LOL. Wasn’t one going around that some book couldn’t be read as it talked about ‘privilige’? Hahah ■■■■.

Nor should it… they misspelled ‘privilege’

TRIGGERED.

Yet there's been an 'offensive language' law on the books for 30 years and there's never been a whisper of a campaign to repeal it. Every time you hear about free speech law reform it's all about repealing 18c, which expands the definition of racial discrimination to include racially offensive language.

Funny how only the law about RACIALLY offensive language is the subject of interminable free speech crusades in the media and in parliament, and never the more generic one (which I suspect is used mostly as a catch-all when a copper is Fed Up With This ■■■■ and wants a perfectly legal excuse to lock some PITA up for a bit to dry them out/stop their protest/give their wife time to pack her bags and flee/let them & their friends know who’s boss/let the drugs wear off/whatever.

As I’ve said before, the fanatic focus of many free speech warriors (FSWs?) on repealing protections against racist or bigoted speech, vs their relative silence on many many other laws and conventions that either impinge on free speech directly or fail to respect it, makes me profoundly skeptical of their motives.

As far as I am aware the law of offensive language uses community standards as the test. 18C has no test other than the complainant has been offended.
And as I have said in an earlier post whether or not someone takes offence is not something that can be controlled.

Bolt's contention wasn't racist by the way. At least in my understanding, he was questioning a system that's setup to allow certain people to claim special treatment based on very tenuous ancestral ties. Should someone be able to label themselves aboriginal on the basis of some distant ancestor, despite the vast majority of their relatives being white and the opportunities afforded them the same as a regular white person? Does this not undermine such a system existing in the first place - one that ostensibly was created to remedy a perceived imbalance between white Australians and indigenous Australians?

A perceived imbalance?

Bolt's contention wasn't racist by the way. At least in my understanding, he was questioning a system that's setup to allow certain people to claim special treatment based on very tenuous ancestral ties. Should someone be able to label themselves aboriginal on the basis of some distant ancestor, despite the vast majority of their relatives being white and the opportunities afforded them the same as a regular white person? Does this not undermine such a system existing in the first place - one that ostensibly was created to remedy a perceived imbalance between white Australians and indigenous Australians?

A perceived imbalance?

Yep Benno, I had a giggle at that. I shot off a text to the daughter-in-law telling her that all the prejudice, her, my grandkids and the extended family receive is just perceived.

Yet there's been an 'offensive language' law on the books for 30 years and there's never been a whisper of a campaign to repeal it. Every time you hear about free speech law reform it's all about repealing 18c, which expands the definition of racial discrimination to include racially offensive language.

Funny how only the law about RACIALLY offensive language is the subject of interminable free speech crusades in the media and in parliament, and never the more generic one (which I suspect is used mostly as a catch-all when a copper is Fed Up With This ■■■■ and wants a perfectly legal excuse to lock some PITA up for a bit to dry them out/stop their protest/give their wife time to pack her bags and flee/let them & their friends know who’s boss/let the drugs wear off/whatever.

As I’ve said before, the fanatic focus of many free speech warriors (FSWs?) on repealing protections against racist or bigoted speech, vs their relative silence on many many other laws and conventions that either impinge on free speech directly or fail to respect it, makes me profoundly skeptical of their motives.

As far as I am aware the law of offensive language uses community standards as the test. 18C has no test other than the complainant has been offended.
And as I have said in an earlier post whether or not someone takes offence is not something that can be controlled.

I just find this statement (which is something that Bolt claims ad infinitum) to be extraordinary. I reckon if I called, as an example, an indigenous person a “stinking’, farkin’, dole bludgin’, wife bashing’ farkin’ primitive black carnt” and told him to “get back to ya farkin’ humpy and getting’ farkin’ ■■■■■■ and fiddling’ with ya farkin’ little ■■■■■■ kids”, I’d have a fair idea he would probably take offence.

A perceived imbalance?

Yep Benno, I had a giggle at that. I shot off a text to the daughter-in-law telling her that all the prejudice, her, my grandkids and the extended family receive is just perceived.

Did you really?

I just find this statement (which is something that Bolt claims ad infinitum) to be extraordinary. I reckon if I called, as an example, an indigenous person a “stinking’, farkin’, dole bludgin’, wife bashing’ farkin’ primitive black carnt” and told him to “get back to ya farkin’ humpy and getting’ farkin’ ■■■■■■ and fiddling’ with ya farkin’ little ■■■■■■ kids”, I’d have a fair idea he would probably take offence.

You are in control of your own feelings. No one can make you feel anything. You choose to feel that way.
You cant make me angry, you cant make me sad, you cant make me happy. I choose to allow events to affect me. And what I allow to affect me will be very different to what affects you.
If you are not in control of your own emotions and feelings then you should be doing something about that and stop blaming other people for the manner in which you react to external events and inputs.

There is a big difference between saying “watching Carlton lose makes me happy” and 'I got really happy when I watched Carlton lose." One is assuming that CFC can have an affect on the way you feel, the other is admitting that you allow yourself to feel however you choose to.

And as for your example, if the person you insult in that manner chooses to laugh in your face say “is that the best you’ve got” then turn and walk away there is absolutley nothing you can do to change their opinion.

You are in control of your own feelings. No one can make you feel anything. You choose to feel that way.
You cant make me angry, you cant make me sad, you cant make me happy. I choose to allow events to affect me. And what I allow to affect me will be very different to what affects you.
If you are not in control of your own emotions and feelings then you should be doing something about that and stop blaming other people for the manner in which you react to external events and inputs.

There is a big difference between saying “watching Carlton lose makes me happy” and 'I got really happy when I watched Carlton lose." One is assuming that CFC can have an affect on the way you feel, the other is admitting that you allow yourself to feel however you choose to.

And as for your example, if the person you insult in that manner chooses to laugh in your face say “is that the best you’ve got” then turn and walk away there is absolutley nothing you can do to change their opinion.

The whole idea of racism, biggotry, bullying is to deliberately impact negatively on another person. So really you are a bit at sea there mate.

That would be all well and good in some fantasy world where human beings have been replaced by emotionless automatons. But unfortunately, in the real world, people have feelings, and emotions, and lots of other things that make them human. This is real life, not some text book.

And that’s me done. If you have such 100%, every waking second, control of your feelings and emotions, I guess you will never understand. Although I doubt that you do.

No one can make you feel anything. You choose to feel that way.

Wait … are you for farking real here??

You guys should look up Epictetus and his teachings.

That is what Scorpio is saying. But yeah, few people can be as stoic.

Oh I know what she is saying. I just think it’s a ludicrous crock.

And as for all those stupid veterans with PTSD, they should HTFU. War didn’t do that to them, they chose to feel like that.

Etc.

*and now I really will stop before my emotional weakness get’s the better of me.

And as for all those stupid veterans with PTSD, they should HTFU. War didn’t do that to them, they chose to feel like that.

Etc.

*and now I really will stop before my emotional weakness get’s the better of me.

I would never equate PTSD with hurt feelings. PTSD very different to “you make me feel angry sad offended”

1 Like

I’m obviously more a prisoner of my psyche than I should be.

01000010 01010101 01001100 01001100 01010011 01001000 01001001 01010100

Etc.

I would never equate PTSD with hurt feelings. PTSD very different to “you make me feel angry sad offended”

Out of interest, where do you draw the trauma line?
Below being shot at but above being assaulted?
Above being assaulted but below having your life threatened?

https://youtu.be/ceS_jkKjIgo

I was so thinking of posting this

I love it when middle/upper class white men (aka the least prejudiced against group ever in history) decide what is offensive.

1 Like

Etc.

Out of interest, where do you draw the trauma line?
Below being shot at but above being assaulted?
Above being assaulted but below having your life threatened?

Uhmmmm diagnosis?