Political Correctness

You guys should look up Epictetus and his teachings.

That is what Scorpio is saying. But yeah, few people can be as stoic.

Oh I know what she is saying. I just think it’s a ludicrous crock.

And as for all those stupid veterans with PTSD, they should HTFU. War didn’t do that to them, they chose to feel like that.

Etc.

*and now I really will stop before my emotional weakness get’s the better of me.

I would never equate PTSD with hurt feelings. PTSD very different to “you make me feel angry sad offended”

Out of interest, where do you draw the trauma line?
Below being shot at but above being assaulted?
Above being assaulted but below having your life threatened?

Uhmmmm diagnosis?

Welp.
Asked and answered.
Thank you.

I disagree with your assessment, for what it’s worth.

I love it when middle/upper class white men (aka the least prejudiced against group ever in history) decide what is offensive.

Only for ourselves, surely?
Are you suggesting we should hand over our moral decisions to someone else?
Maybe a priest.

Meanwhile…

A Section 18C racial discrimination complaint has been lodged to remove a memorial commemorating sex slaves of the Japanese Imperial Army in World War II.

Meanwhile...

A Section 18C racial discrimination complaint has been lodged to remove a memorial commemorating sex slaves of the Japanese Imperial Army in World War II.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-14/japanese-group-launches-18c-case-against-uniting-church/8117234

The committee’s chairman, Liberal MP Ian Goodenough told 7.30, “historical events should not be used to generate complaints under section 18C, especially when it is indisputable that the atrocities occurred”.

Not sure you can stop people making a complaint under any law.
Perhaps ‘should not be successful under 18c’ is what he meant.

Sticks and stones, so who’s offended?

I live a fairly secluded life but I’ve witnessed two such attacks, one an aboriginal teenager and the other on a group of Sudanese kids, on separate outings that were meant to be good fun. They took the racist abuse “stoically”, the aboriginal kid told me it was no big deal as he’d copped worse before, but I have to admit I was deeply offended, and ashamed.

I love it when middle/upper class white men (aka the least prejudiced against group ever in history) decide what is offensive.

I don’t care who decides but if we are going to have any type of law that even attempts to regulate offence then it has to be able to explain exactly what the offence is, as should all laws. Offence is like WADA’s S0 clause or the AFL’s disrepute charge - its anything anyone wants to make it. Of course there are obvious examples but I’m still not sure if it was racist for KFC to market fried chicken & their cricket sponsorship using West Indians when they just happened to be touring.

Spot on bugman

Being discriminated against, and being offended, aren’t the same thing.

I’m not sure middle class white men have been any less offended through history.

Bolt's contention wasn't racist by the way. At least in my understanding, he was questioning a system that's setup to allow certain people to claim special treatment based on very tenuous ancestral ties. Should someone be able to label themselves aboriginal on the basis of some distant ancestor, despite the vast majority of their relatives being white and the opportunities afforded them the same as a regular white person? Does this not undermine such a system existing in the first place - one that ostensibly was created to remedy a perceived imbalance between white Australians and indigenous Australians?

A perceived imbalance?

Yep Benno, I had a giggle at that. I shot off a text to the daughter-in-law telling her that all the prejudice, her, my grandkids and the extended family receive is just perceived.

Did you really?

You missed the sarcastica font

Meanwhile...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-14/japanese-group-launches-18c-case-against-uniting-church/8117234

From what I’ve heard it’s widely believed in legal circles that this complaint is pretty much doomed to failure simply because of the 18d ‘truth’ defence, and is either being pushed by some sort of extremist Japanese nationalist interests, or else by someone trying to make a weird political point of some sort.

I just can’t wait to have these civil debates where we can offend people

I just can't wait to have these civil debates where we can offend people

When I was in Local Government, if you called anyone names you got sent to the naughty corner by the Mayor, meaning if you didn’t apologise and withdraw the remark you got thrown out of the Council chamber.

I am not so quick-witted as some, and when things got heated, I often got into strife. But one night when an aggressive, nasty Councillor was upsetting the rest of us, a Councillor who was a laconic farmer, asked the Mayor the following

"Mr Mayor, can I have an official ruling please? If I call Councillor XXXX, a demented bully and an arrogant pile of horse ■■■■, will I contravene the Council Code of Ethics "

The Mayor replied; “Yes”. Councillor said thank you and sat down. Councillor XXXXX jumped to his feet, and bellowed “you are the demented farking bully and a stupid carnt” Councillor XXXXX refused to apologise and was thrown out of the meeting.

Sometimes it is all a matter of timing.

Sticks and stones, so who's offended? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiLpFG5uUc0 I live a fairly secluded life but I've witnessed two such attacks, one an aboriginal teenager and the other on a group of Sudanese kids, on separate outings that were meant to be good fun. They took the racist abuse "stoically", the aboriginal kid told me it was no big deal as he'd copped worse before, but I have to admit I was deeply offended, and ashamed.

Makes my blood boil.
I had a situation that almost came to this at a servo the other day, with a woman who was the twin of that low-life, and an Indian guy at the counter. This was over the fact that the store didn’t have a particular type of chewing gum. I had to step in front of her, and apologise to the man, who was so hurt. Farking disgraceful, and should be called out whenever seen.

And this bullshitte about ‘words can never hurt you’ - is absolute TRIPE.
Have we not come any further than that? Harden the fark up, ya girl? Jeeeezus! What an enlightened farkin age we live in. Where mental health problems are laughed at and used as derogatives, mental health problems are not given an iota of the same care as physical issues, and we still say WORDS CAN’T HURT YOU! WTF!!! Anyone claiming that has either been burnt so bad in the past that they’ve erected a stony wall around themselves, or are spiritless automatons. Words not only can hurt, but they have an everlasting effect, unlike most physical injuries. Get farkin real ffs

Makes my blood boil. I had a situation that almost came to this at a servo the other day, with a woman who was the twin of that low-life, and an Indian guy at the counter. This was over the fact that the store didn't have a particular type of chewing gum. I had to step in front of her, and apologise to the man, who was so hurt. Farking disgraceful, and should be called out whenever seen.

Have we not come any further than that? Harden the fark up, ya girl? Jeeeezus! What an enlightened farkin age we live in. Where mental health problems are laughed at and used as derogatives, mental health problems are not given an iota of the same care as physical issues, and we still say WORDS CAN’T HURT YOU! WTF!!! Anyone claiming that has either been burnt so bad in the past that they’ve erected a stony wall around themselves, or are spiritless automatons. Words not only can hurt, but they have an everlasting effect, unlike most physical injuries. Get farkin real ffs

While I agree 100%; that is how many of us were brought up. Sticks and Stones etc, was my Mum’s favorite expression, and her generation and mine lived by it. So consequently we are about the most abusive lot of people ever.

And when I was a kid, anyone “mental” was locked up in an institution or were never allowed to leave the house. We had a a “mental” kid up the street, who was degraded and abused by the rest of the kids, if he ever got outside and was seen. We knew no better, and no parent told us it was wrong. No wonder we are farked.

Sticks and stones, so who's offended? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiLpFG5uUc0 I live a fairly secluded life but I've witnessed two such attacks, one an aboriginal teenager and the other on a group of Sudanese kids, on separate outings that were meant to be good fun. They took the racist abuse "stoically", the aboriginal kid told me it was no big deal as he'd copped worse before, but I have to admit I was deeply offended, and ashamed.

Makes my blood boil.
I had a situation that almost came to this at a servo the other day, with a woman who was the twin of that low-life, and an Indian guy at the counter. This was over the fact that the store didn’t have a particular type of chewing gum. I had to step in front of her, and apologise to the man, who was so hurt. Farking disgraceful, and should be called out whenever seen.

That is offensive. And, I agree, words can seriously hurt people. But, is a law-based response the best option for dealing with offensive words/actions?

I don’t think so.

Makes my blood boil.

That is offensive. And, I agree, words can seriously hurt people. But, is a law-based response the best option for dealing with offensive words/actions?

I don’t think so.

Single-dimension, black&white options are rarely the answer with complex issues, and the only people that argue that case are those pushing their point. Complex and deep-seated problems need more than lip-service, broad-brush laws, and/or hyped up shock-jockey opinion polls. They require mature reasoning and morphing systems.

Makes my blood boil.

I don’t think so.

Exactly. And I think part of the problem is that it is assumed by many if you think there shouldn’t be a law against something that you automatically must think it is acceptable.
I have had so people say to me “so you think you should be able to abuse people racially?”
No I don’t. I think it is appalling behaviour and should be called out at every opportunity. And with social media it is a lot easier to do that today than it was in years gone by. And the more it gets called out the more people get educated.
I just don’t think it should be illegal.

I just don't think it should be illegal to offend someone

Where do you draw the line ?

It has been shown that people have suicided after being offended.

Makes my blood boil.

I don’t think so.

Exactly. And I think part of the problem is that it is assumed by many if you think there shouldn’t be a law against something that you automatically must think it is acceptable.
I have had so people say to me “so you think you should be able to abuse people racially?”
No I don’t. I think it is appalling behaviour and should be called out at every opportunity. And with social media it is a lot easier to do that today than it was in years gone by. And the more it gets called out the more people get educated.
I just don’t think it should be illegal.

How does average farkin Joe use social media to call out a racist?

And its not like I just call 000 and let the jacks know that you offended me and I’m pressing charges.

I just don't think it should be illegal to offend someone

Where do you draw the line ?

It has been shown that people have suicided after being offended.

They should harden the fark up.
Apparently.

Is ‘abuse’ illegal’?
Now define ‘abuse’.
Now apply it to different areas and see how you go - for example, your children, or mother.
Weigh it up against other illegal things - like crossing the street without a green figure giving you the go-ahead. Or driving a few kph over an arbitrary safe speed. Or keeping a bat behind your door for protection.