Political Correctness

The fact that it features a women who outwardly dismisses the genocide of the Armenian people for one.

1 Like

Gillette doesnā€™t really advertise razors though, itā€™s all abit bland. Wow our new razor has 6 blades!

They have allways advertised instead on masculinity. Which Iā€™m guessing for marketers atm is a knightmare. This add is kind of creatively flipping it on its head.

Iā€™ve never considered Federer to be overtly ā€˜masculine.ā€™

May I counter these two points thusly?
Firstly, an implication is interpretable, therefore my response may be considered appropriate. Furthermore, the ā€˜why should I listenā€™ can be from the companyā€™sā€™ perspective, therefore etc etcā€¦
Secondly, I suggest market dominance is worked at, not accepted. I can see that you are not your typical market-dominating person. When you plane, you fall. Work at your relationships.

I have 3 young sons. The suicide rate of men is disproportionately high.
The fact that this virtue signalling bullshit is now penetrating corporate ads to this degree, additionally a brand that has primarily profited from the pockets of men wants to ā– ā– ā– ā–  all over us, is enough for me and millions of other men to feel like we can voice our opinion.

I donā€™t disagree with your overall point.

Pick your battles, though.

I dispute your second point.
Once a brand reaches Gillette level dominance, it needs a paradigm shift to make it fail.
cf: Kodak

And Iā€™m not sure Gillette make a case as to why they are authorities on gender issues.

Heā€™s a winner, thatā€™s a pretty traditional take on masculinity.

1 Like

So can we hold entire religions accountable for the awful things a portion of them do now? What about an entire race?

I just want to know the rules. Clearly gender is okay.

You absolutely can expect religions to do better than they have previously.
I wouldnā€™t have thought that was an outrageous position to take.

Iā€™m not sure that Gillette are pretending to be authorities - but they are making a calculated bet on the audience vs expense vs detractors and have come up with their decision to run with the campaign, almost certainly monetary reasons. Regarding the market-leaders bit - weā€™ll disagree on this I suppose. It will take a long protracted debate that would probably go nowhere :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A religion whereby they sit on their ā– ā– ā–  and do nothing, should be held accountable for sitting on their ā– ā– ā–  and doing nothing.
I like itšŸ˜‰

I know youā€™re trying to wind this up nicely, and I respect that.
But I just want to say that I really, really, really donā€™t think theyā€™re thinking, ā€˜Thisā€™ll have Bic crapping themselves.ā€™

Hahaha
Funny thing - A few years ago, I threw away my Gillette 3/4/5/6 whatever blade monstrocity and have been using disposables. I wash them carefully. Each one lasts me about 4 or 5 months. I shave every day. ā– ā– ā– ā–  Gillette.

2 Likes

They should have gone with this one

7 Likes

Pretty sure so long as they make money then who gives a ā– ā– ā– ā– .
images%20(4)

What if those awful things are still happening?

Are the innocent people that happen to follow that same religion complicit by not doing anything to stop it?

Saying things like ā€œThat is a very small percentage of our religionā€ or ā€œThose people are bad and donā€™t share the same beliefs as us.ā€

Do I treat them individually or lump them in with the bad ones?

How is that argument related to the Gillette add at all.

Itā€™s focused on stepping in to stop negative behaviours youā€™re witnessing. Thatā€™s not saying all men are bad.

Isnā€™t making an ad on this topic the opposite of virtue signalling?

Come on Wim. You donā€™t have to be an authority on a topic to be outspoken on it these days.

They have a right to air their opinion.

We need to be able to talk about this stuff without being labeled 3rd wave feminists.