Politics

Looks like Anne Aly will win Cowan. Goodbye invisible man.

lol good one...

Pauline Hanson’s One Nation Party has copied slabs of text from the internet for some of its policies — including from Wikipedia.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-11/pauline-hanson-sections-of-party-policies-lifted-from-internet/7587652

Least they didn’t come out of thought-bubbles, the IPA or focus groups :wink:

It’s exactly why we are seeing people walk away from the major parties right now. The message is clean up your act a bit, figure out your internal issues, stop pandering to big business or we will slowly vote you out of relevance.

Not wanting to be a ■■■■, but I will be, a few times... Would have thought Africa (and by that I don't think you mean J-Berg to Cairo) is an example of the resilience of human life rather than the frailty of it. And if you think bugs are going to knock us off, I give you the Ganges.

Well that will depend on the amount of money there is spent on research

Was it research that stopped Ebola, or centuries old quarantine methods?

We stopped the boats

If they had compulsory voting in the US, they would probably never have a republican (as we know them now) Government … like EVER.

I don’t think without it, you can call the end result democracy.

In fact in it’s true definition, it isn’t.

democracy
dɪˈmɒkrəsi/Submit
noun
a system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives.

I agree HM. It’s a responsibility that goes with the rights you get living in this democracy. People around the world dying to vote.

Agree with @JBOMBER - compulsory voting needs to be done away with, basically every other first world democracy does not compel its citizens to vote.

What are the benefits of compulsory voting anyway? I’ve yet to hear any legitimate reasons.

The need to appeal to the undecided or not-very-involved voter prevents the major parties becoming dominated by their own extremists.

When voting is optional, winning elections becomes less about winning over undecideds and more about making sure you get more of your fanatics to the polling booths than the other mob manages of theirs. The Republican Party in the USA is exhibit A, B, and C of where this road leads. In Aust, the local branches and even the party machines can be tempted to preselecte loonies, but said loonies then have to run the gauntlet of an actual election. When voting is optional, there’s no need to nominate reasonable people at all. You can nominate a looney, have him preselected by his local branch of loonies, and then elected by the votes if those, say, 25% of the population who are rusted on to your party or who are loonily inclined in your direction. And because the same dynamic is probably at work on the other side of politics too, regular non-loonies have nobody to vote for and stay home. Elections become a contest of looney vs looney, and politics inevitably becomes even more partisan and posturing, and less inclined to sensible negotiation & hard work.

Besides, from a purely principle-based point of view, voting isn’t just a right, it’s a damn duty. Democracy doesn’t ask all that ■■■■■■ much of you, is 15 minutes or so spent filling out a ballot paper really THAT much of a drag?

Don't blame global warming on AC, electronics and cars on the road.

There’s waaaay too many people on the planet.

Sure if we all lived like Indian villagers the globe could support us.

It’s humans that’ll end up killing us, if a giant meteorite doesn’t first.

It’ll be disease that kills us. With the earth heating up, crop soil will dry up, fresh drinking water will be scarcer and mosquito/other born diseases will flourish. Only need to look at Africa over the past decades to see a sample of what to expect.

But have you seen the new iphone?!

I used to think the scenario where a super-intelligent AI coldly destroys humanity in following the program it was designed for was crazy. I’m slowly coming around to the idea that an AI that is sufficiently smart enough to improve itself and modify its source code is a freaking scary prospect. A psychopath with god like intelligence that is virtually physically invulnerable.

AI will put us to better use than to simply just kill us all.

Yep. I tried to start a campaign when we were at 6.9 billion, saying 7 is a lucky number, that'll do us thanks, but it didn't take off.

Probably should have had a ■■■■■■ hashtag. I was unaware of twitting.

#7BillionsEnough!

CPI and the never ending search for growth can join your list.

Agree with @JBOMBER - compulsory voting needs to be done away with, basically every other first world democracy does not compel its citizens to vote.

What are the benefits of compulsory voting anyway? I’ve yet to hear any legitimate reasons.

lol good one…

Pauline Hanson’s One Nation Party has copied slabs of text from the internet for some of its policies — including from Wikipedia.

Been a bit worried since I heard the "moderates" kneecapped Milne on petrol excise indexation. Di Natale is a serious worry for me, I never voted Democrat and won't start now. Where's Bob Brown when I need him. ■■■■■■■ hate politics!

Politics rather sucks atm, but then I guess it has been for most generations, just look at the whole 1975 Constitutional crises. Sheesh, glad I was too young to pay much attention.

I do not understand how anyone could vote for Pyne. Walking proof of rusted-on Party voting practices.
He's lots of things. Very funny being one of them.
I agree the sound of his voice makes me laugh.
Many years ago, I owned and raced a greyhound with a group of co-workers. It was the fast dog ever in a straight line, and won many coursing events, but couldn't run around a bend. I never saw any bad practices, though they obviously exist. Our breeder/trainer was a work mate who was of high integrity and cared for her dogs. We had a lot of fun, lost a lot of money, but it was an enjoyable experience. Once our dog stopped racing, one of the group took her as a family pet; beautiful dog who became a lounge lizard.

It is much more than gambling or dog abuse, many people live for their dogs. It is always the few that fark it for the rest.

yeh, nah. The shelter we got our couch potato from, 60 new dogs a month they take in… and those are the ones that make it.

I am sure many owners/trainers love their dogs, but PLENTY are tossed aside like used trash

Hence the report of widespread abuse and fingers in the ears from the industry

Many years ago, I owned and raced a greyhound with a group of co-workers. It was the fast dog ever in a straight line, and won many coursing events, but couldn't run around a bend. I never saw any bad practices, though they obviously exist. Our breeder/trainer was a work mate who was of high integrity and cared for her dogs. We had a lot of fun, lost a lot of money, but it was an enjoyable experience. Once our dog stopped racing, one of the group took her as a family pet; beautiful dog who became a lounge lizard.

It is much more than gambling or dog abuse, many people live for their dogs. It is always the few that fark it for the rest.

Ive got a cousin that trains greyhounds. Been doing ti since she was a kid, Have to be in her sixties by now. Still training dogs I believe down in Gippsland.

Many years ago, I owned and raced a greyhound with a group of co-workers. It was the fast dog ever in a straight line, and won many coursing events, but couldn’t run around a bend. I never saw any bad practices, though they obviously exist. Our breeder/trainer was a work mate who was of high integrity and cared for her dogs. We had a lot of fun, lost a lot of money, but it was an enjoyable experience. Once our dog stopped racing, one of the group took her as a family pet; beautiful dog who became a lounge lizard.

Get rid of compulsory voting then those who find it too much of an inconvenience can choose not to vote. I've never understood how democracy & compulsion to vote can co-exist in this country, virtually no other significant democracy has it. Seems to me its more eagerly defended by the left which is again strange as it seems at odds with their basic principles. I've always assumed they figured they had more to lose.

Yep democracy is over-rated, and gives us all heart-burn. Maybe just a lottery to pick the Leader and then he/she can pick his own squad. We all could buy PM-Lotto ticket at say $50, and buy as many as you like or none.

Not sure you would that many entries though.

Whats the difference? The last 3 times we have elected a leader the government has changed them without giving us a chance to to vote.

And the bees. If the bees become extinct we will be FUBAR

Turnbull and Shorten both want electronic voting.

Well if they can make it safe and unable to be hacked then brilliant.

“Hacking” would be the least of concerns. The sheer enormity of cost in building, maintaining, storing, setting up and packing down equipment that only gets dragged once every couple of years should be enough to discourage it.

I can just imagine the development company that secures the $750m government contract for voting software and delivers a 20fps Android app that’s a shell of a website.

For those not technologically minded, this post was not a joke.
How basic passive cooling isn't compulsory in new buildings in this country is beyond me.

Used to take the pre app kids & Apprentices on tours of this place for part of their “Sustainability” module, until they stopped doing them. Pity they shut them down.

Council House 2 Collins St Melbourne.

Environmental features

Comparing to a building with a Five Green Star rating, CH2’s emissions will be 64% lower. When compared to the existing Council House next door, it is expected to:

reduce electricity consumption by 85%
reduce gas consumption by 87%
produce only 13% of the emissions
reduce water mains supply by 72%
Features include new LCD computer monitors, which will consume 77% less energy, and new T5 light fittings which should consume 65% less energy. The building also houses 48 m2 of solar panels, which provide 60% of hot water, as well as a gas-fired cogeneration plant which provides 40% of the building’s overall electricity, with reduced carbon emissions.[2]

Of the total construction cost of $51 million, $12 million were invested in energy, water and waste innovation. The time for payback is expected to be less than ten years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_House_2

That is farking brilliant. Just love it when clever, sensible things are applied to solve problems.