Politics

Don’t we have laws or standards about clothing in relation to indecent exposure. So we already dictate in some respects what people can wear?

That’s not the question though. The question is whether there should be an enforced removal of religious clothing because…

Technically, those are laws on what people must wear, not what they can’t.

1 Like

She’s not entitled to turn the Senate into a fancy dress circus to make a point. She could not care less about women’s rights. It’s just another pathetic racial dog whistling attempt, she dropped a bit in the polls recently, Clearly a stunt to appeal to her moronic base, probably worked in that regard.

Whoa whoa. I’m not in favor of what Hanson did. I’m only responding to Scorpios post. I don’t agree in banning the burqa but do find it offensive.

You can’t wear bike gang colours in public.

Which is also a horrendous set of laws that gives way too much invasive power to too few.

1 Like

Offensive to you or offensive on behalf of the women who wear them?

Don’t disagree. And horrendous as I find the burqa it shouldn’t be banned.

Yeah no doubt it’s confronting, but really how many people wear that? really how many? and to say as Hanson does it’s a security issue is an utter rubbish reason to ban it. I could walk down the street in any number of dressings as to completely conceal my identity and nobody can stop me. Yeah sure make them take it off in banks and other places to identify them and search them if need be for security reasons, but ban it outright as a security risk?
Hanson later said she was just testing parliament security after being universally condemned. There is no way know she would have walked into the main entrance wearing that without having to identify herself. If a real muslim woman walked in in full burqa she would at very least be metal tested and probably explosive tested anyway so to say the garment itself is a security risk to parliament is something only a 5 year old would think is possible
In the senate she spoke more generally that it was unaustralian. She is complete fool and full of ■■■■

Offensive to me.

I have no problem with it, … provided it is worn by choice,… which I keep getting told it is, … I just wish the Muslim church here would mandate that it is always optional. (if they haven’t already??)

If they passed that into law somehow, or it was volunteered by the faith and made clear by their leading cleric, that it was the case, so we could be sure there was no subjugation involved, I think most would be happy enough.

I had this conversation the other day, and we opened it up, and all agreed they are most probably, (apart from the vilification from rednecks we’ve heard about), the safest women in our society, … and many might enjoy the protection it seems to provide, and be quite happy to exercise their free option to wear it.

• I’m not sure on the fact’s here, and haven’t yet checked, … we were just going from what we could remember anecdotally.
1 Like

Agreed.

I think western societies commenting on the subjugation of women and pointing at things like the burqa as evidence is very, very rich.

Women are subjugated in any number of ways. Clothing is but one of them.

*don the FEMINIST cap.

1 Like

Can you elaborate a bit?

I’m trying to get my head around the whole debate and both you and Scorpio have an opinion which I don’t really understand.

Why offensive as such?

Pretty obvious it isn’t compulsory otherwise you would think most muslim women would wear it, it must be an almost immeasurable number of women that wear it in this country anyway. I think if it is is a religious belief amongst some you cant really get he hierarchy to denounce it, just like you cant get the catholic hierarchy to decree that contraception is optional, its not reasonable and they should have to just because people of other demonstrations are not comfortable with an aspect of their religion.
For the record I dont really like it, but we have rights in our society to freedom as long as that doesn’t hurt anyone or interfere with anyone

To me it sets out a message of fear - that women should fear the world and require some special protection that restricts and inhibits their interaction with the world. It separates men and women from equal recognition because a woman is striped of her form.

The burqa is not an Islamic requirement. It’s borne of a medieval custom.

2 Likes

Ok. that seems like a more sophisticated view than the majority view of simple denial of rights and forced coverage.

Thanks.

1 Like

The politics thread can work! No name calling or left right BS. People discussing points of view.

5 Likes

Haha.