Politics

What's the situation with Malcolm and the CFA firefighters? I thought that Fairwork Autrakia had endorsed the decisions, can the PM overturn them?

Not without legislation passing through both Houses of Parliament, and even then it would be a constitutional issue over States Rights.

What’s the situation with Malcolm and the CFA firefighters? I thought that Fairwork Autrakia had endorsed the decisions, can the PM overturn them?

You guys and girls misunderstand Bacchus - Politics is important but runs a distant second to the fairer sex.

Are you suggesting he changes wives as often as the ALP changes leader :smiley:

Labor has not had that many Leaders.

And you should keep changing wives until you find a good one. I am content at present.

You did suggest the Parties were too close to be seperate do, which is just wrong.

Why largesse ?

You show your colours with your comments. Medicare, Gonski, NDIS are all very affordable if everyone paid their farking tax. And funding private schools is a real disgrace.

We could kill everyone at 65, which would solve your issues.

Oi…that’s only 15 months away for me…and I have always paid my taxes…sometimes significant amounts.

Well Al, it is just over two years for me. I just hate all these tools blaming us older folk for staying alive and making health cost more.

Do not here them complaining that Gina and Twiggy pay less tax than us though.

“We’ve become such a politically correct nanny state .”

Admittedly I’m a bit bitter at the moment, what with the electoral endorsement of the abuse of children, AND ADULTS, held in OUR bilaterally approved offshore concentration camps and the savage INHUMAN cuts in our overseas aid contributions, down to around 0.25 of GDP and dropping, OUR lowest level in multiple decades and all so we can fund tax cuts for the super rich who fund the 2 major parties, and the feckless abandonment of any sort of commitment to reducing global warming and to the refusal to expose the wholesale abuse of animals, and that probably makes me POLITICALLY CORRECT. So PC I am. I’ll live with it. And so does Stewart Lee. Just BLOCK ME.

Dear Scotty,

Second Tuesday of May is just around the corner

PM if you need help with the event/bring a plate of food

If that story is to be believed, we should expect the Gestapo to undermine future governments that are not it's preferred choice. What the Hell is going on? I'm actually concerned after reading that.

Fixed

I can take you back to before 1972 when it was rumored that anyone who had protested loudly about the Vietnam War had a Federal Police dossier on them.

After Gough was elected Jim Cairns and others demanded to see the files, and it was all proved correct.

Delete duplicate post

How basic passive cooling isn't compulsory in new buildings in this country is beyond me.

As I am not an owner of property I am not up to date with all the stuff, what is passive cooling?

Adding to BSDs impressive post here’s a fairly decent rundown IT:

http://www.yourhome.gov.au/passive-design/passive-cooling

Just saw Dutton go full racist on Sky with a they will take our jobs spiel.

Stay classy

All pollies are lying wankers.

Public interest be damned

Kaye Lee

The notion of “public interest” has been officially abandoned. The interests of the government are now paramount and they intend to keep a very tight control on information whilst being selectively ruthless about who they pursue.

/

Yep. I can date this trend back to the Monday following the 1996 election. Prior to that election there was real, genuine separation of powers. Not afterwards. Not by a long friggen shot. The level of political interference in my job was gobsmacking.

It is frustrating to watch and read these things and then hear people say they will still vote Liberal.

It is frustrating to watch and read these things and then hear people say they will still vote.

Fixed

So turns out the Communications minister and Turnbull backer Mitch Fiefield knew about the AFP investigation . He just ummmmmm you know didn’t tell his boss the PM.

FFS

Also contradicts the head of the AFP who said no one from the Goverment knew.

So turns out the Communications minister and Turnbull backer Mitch Fiefield knew about the AFP investigation . He just ummmmmm you know didn't tell his boss the PM.

FFS

Also contradicts the head of the AFP who said no one from the Goverment knew.

So the AFP didn’t brief their Minister about this op? . I’m calling bullshit.

Here is a little known fact that everyone should be aware of in this election campaign:

ATO bombshell is a fresh blow to property market (The Australian 19/5/16)

Key points: Property owners are about to get a terrible shock when they deal in property valued at more than $2m. From July 1 2016, the rules for transacting dwellings and commercial property worth
more than $2m will change dramatically. All sellers of $2m plus properties will be classified as overseas investors unless they get a special tax clearance. That means that all buyers of $2m plus properties must deduct 10% from the purchase price and pay that amount to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) unless the seller has a tax clearance.

My informant says: Anybody else miss this one? Nasty stuff from our friends at the ATO. Per previous article and along with Victorian state stamp duty and land tax hikes, effective same date for non-residents, it seems the Tories are doing all they can to kick the legs from under the property market. They will be sorry when stamp duties suffer and I hope some sensible voter backlash. Surely this is all going too far?

My take: Assuming this report is correct (and the financially astute BBers may be able to conform or refute it) if the Libs are instituting this on $2M properties now (which is not that much considering prices in inner MEL and SYD) then no-one’s house is safe from being taxed by this devious method.

Anyone of a certain age will remember the Murdoch press running on election day in the Whitlam years with that “Labor will tax the family home” headline on election day - too late for any response refuting the lie.

Surely Rupert will be consistent and command a huge media campaign against the Tories over this.

Jesus fkn…

Public interest be damned

Kaye Lee

The notion of “public interest” has been officially abandoned. The interests of the government are now paramount and they intend to keep a very tight control on information whilst being selectively ruthless about who they pursue.

In 2006, Lateline aired a program called Sexual slavery reported in Indigenous community in which an unnamed youth worker made sensational allegations – except it turned out he was actually a public servant who was working for Mal Brough. The “evidence’ was shown to be false though not before allowing Brough and Howard to instigate the NT Intervention.

Tjanara Goreng Goreng, an Aboriginal woman who became a whistleblower in debunking the story, had her home raided by Australian Federal Police. She was subsequently prosecuted and convicted for releasing Commonwealth information, and bankrupted as a result of a substantial legal bill.

Gregory Andrews, the Brough adviser who lied on national television with such devastating consequences for Indigenous communities, was given a job as CEO for the government-funded Indigenous Community Volunteers before being appointed as the Abbott Government’s new ‘Threatened Species Commissioner’.

When a whistleblower revealed the illegal conduct of the Australian government in bugging the parliamentary offices of officials in Timor l’Este to gain commercial advantage, his passport was confiscated to stop him testifying at the Hague and Brandis is seeking to prosecute both the whistleblower and his lawyer.

In 2014, the university student who helped expose a secret scholarship awarded to Prime Minister Tony Abbott’s daughter Frances Abbott faced jail time for hacking work computers to expose that the Prime Minister’s daughter paid just over $7,000 for her $68,000 degree, and received the scholarship after just one meeting with Whitehouse Institute owner Leanne Whitehouse.

The judge accepted that twenty-one-year old Freya Newman was “motivated by a sense of injustice” and put her on a two year good behaviour bond.

Also in 2014, Scott Morrison suggested that Save the Children workers on Nauru had orchestrated a campaign to undermine the Government’s offshore detention policy and summarily sacked them. He then launched an investigation that found that there was never any evidence of reliable information on which to base the actions taken by the department. In fact it went further and found that “the decision maker did not act in good faith.”

There were also the shameful attacks on Gillian Triggs for drawing attention to the plight of children in detention – attacks which Australia’s peak law bodies and academics called a threat to democracy.

When a Labor Senator starts asking uncomfortable questions about the rollout of the NBN, the AFP decides to raid his office and the homes of his staffers, allowing confidential documents to be photographed and leaked to the complainant.

But if you are Mal Brough, Wyatt Roy, Christopher Pyne, James Ashby or Karen Doane, carry on undeterred. (It will be interesting to see if the recent decision to allow the police to use Ashby’s phone records sees any progress on a case which should have been finished years ago.)

If you are leaking national security documents, don’t be worried. All things defence are OK to talk about. With the possible exception of Stuart Robert, the assistant minister who took his mate to China pretending he was representing the government to help him win a contract, the MP who used his ‘fundraising body’ to donate towards the campaign of supposedly ‘independent’ local councillors, the guy the AFP are ‘looking into’, the guy who will recontest the seat of Fadden at the next federal election.

Whilst Peter Slipper has had his life destroyed, Bronwyn Bishop will not be investigated further.

As Craig Thomson continues to lurch from one court case to the next, Justice Dyson Heydon says of Kathy Jackson that she “was instrumental in revealing the conduct of Michael Williamson and Craig Thomson to the authorities. For this she is owed much praise.”

Kathy continues to live the high life with partner and Abbott appointee Michael Lawler who, after a damning report into his fraudulent claim for nine months sick leave while he worked on Kathy’s case, was allowed to resign rather than be sacked, presumably so he can still claim his $250,000-a-year statutory pension.

It is increasingly apparent that transparent accountable government is a fantasy under the Coalition government who will protect themselves and their mates at all costs and who will do anything to discredit anyone who challenges them.

http://theaimn.com/public-interest-damned/

I can see the AFP raiding the office of Kaye Lee