Port told to wear clash jumper for home final

A SEETHING Port Adelaide has slammed an AFL decision forcing the club to wear its white clash strip in Sunday's elimination final against Richmond after it was deemed the Tigers don't have a viable alternative jumper.

The Power were directed on Monday to wear their clash strip, despite finishing fifth and earning the right to host Sunday's final at Adelaide Oval.

The club said the decision was based on the "assertion that Richmond does not have a clash strip that is distinctive enough when compared to the Power‘s traditional black home uniform".

The Tigers' clash strip is similar to its home strip, with additional yellow panels down the side of the jumper and around the neck and arms.

Port Adelaide CEO Keith Thomas said he was very disappointed with the decision.

He said the club was adamant it should be able to wear its traditional black home strip and it was "incumbent on Richmond to wear a guernsey that doesn‘t clash with ours".

"We were first alerted to this by the AFL yesterday and we challenged this decision vigorously on behalf of our players and members," Thomas said.

"Unfortunately we were told that the decision was final and there was no room for negotiation.

"The bottom line is we finished fifth on the ladder and we won more games throughout the year than our direct opponent Richmond.

"This is the first AFL final at the Adelaide Oval, it‘s our home ground, it‘s our home final and it doesn‘t make any sense that we are not wearing our home guernsey."

Thomas said the AFL needed to address the clash jumper issue so home clubs weren't put in a similar position in the future.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-01/jumper-clash-angers-power

More proof that we shouldn't have folded on the jumper issue.  If the onus is on the away club, why hasn't the AFL forced Richmond to product an alternative strip that doesn't clash?

Port have a damn good reason to ■■■■■.

Governance success* by the AFL here: ‘sure, you can sing that ■■■■■■ song, but this is what you‘ll be doing for us to balance that…‘
* external/neutral viewpoint? What‘s that?

"Power‘s traditional black home uniform"   Now, which traditional black jumper is that?  I can think of 4 or 5 that they've had.

And;

"Unfortunately we were told that the decision was final and there was no room for negotiation."    Well, there's a surprise. 

Tigers getting special treatment once again

This is utterly farked but also not unexpected by the AFL.

They had their jumper first. 

oh im sorry. port were the better team this year and won a home final for themselves. i didnt know that you get to do whatever you want because your club is old.

What are they worried about?

Can’t they use their very old jumpers? You know, the ones that look like Collingwood’s that they seem to want to wear every once in a blue moon.

oh im sorry. port were the better team this year and won a home final for themselves. i didnt know that you get to do whatever you want because your club is old.

It was our argument for Essendon.

If a new team enters the competition and their jumper clashes with existing designs, then the onus is on them to change.

A SEETHING Port Adelaide has slammed an AFL decision forcing the club to wear its white clash strip in Sunday's elimination final against Richmond after it was deemed the Tigers don't have a viable alternative jumper.
The Power were directed on Monday to wear their clash strip, despite finishing fifth and earning the right to host Sunday's final at Adelaide Oval.
The club said the decision was based on the "assertion that Richmond does not have a clash strip that is distinctive enough when compared to the Power‘s traditional black home uniform".
The Tigers' clash strip is similar to its home strip, with additional yellow panels down the side of the jumper and around the neck and arms.
Port Adelaide CEO Keith Thomas said he was very disappointed with the decision.
He said the club was adamant it should be able to wear its traditional black home strip and it was "incumbent on Richmond to wear a guernsey that doesn‘t clash with ours".
"We were first alerted to this by the AFL yesterday and we challenged this decision vigorously on behalf of our players and members," Thomas said.
"Unfortunately we were told that the decision was final and there was no room for negotiation.
"The bottom line is we finished fifth on the ladder and we won more games throughout the year than our direct opponent Richmond.

"This is the first AFL final at the Adelaide Oval, it‘s our home ground, it‘s our home final and it doesn‘t make any sense that we are not wearing our home guernsey."
Thomas said the AFL needed to address the clash jumper issue so home clubs weren't put in a similar position in the future.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-01/jumper-clash-angers-power

More proof that we shouldn't have folded on the jumper issue.  If the onus is on the away club, why hasn't the AFL forced Richmond to product an alternative strip that doesn't clash?

Power need to just wear their home strip. and give a fark u to the afl.

im sure the players can tell the difference. anyway. 

what are the afl ging to do, call the game off and give the points to richmond, i dont think so.

AFL teams need to realise you need to call the AFL's bluff. would prolly just give a slap on the wrist kind of fine.

If a new team enters the competition and their jumper clashes with existing designs, then the onus is on them to change.

im fine with our away strip. expanding the competition is good for the game and so its only fair that any new club gets to be on equal footing as the other clubs. regardless of how old a club is, if you earn yourself a home final, you earn wearing your home strip.
Eddie and his Magpie scum whinge about not wanting an away guernsey too. dont be like Eddie my friend :)

im fine with our away strip. expanding the competition is good for the game and so its only fair that any new club gets to be on equal footing as the other clubs. regardless of how old a club is, if you earn yourself a home final, you earn wearing your home strip.
Eddie and his Magpie scum whinge about not wanting an away guernsey too. dont be like Eddie my friend :)

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to our jumper.

And comparing me to Eddie?  Them's fighting words!   ;)

And for a laugh....

Port-Adelaide-Wedding.jpg

lol. wow! good sets of teeth for those bogans. only one missing!

Wonder if Kochie will be interested in these technicalities.

Suck a fat one kochie

When the AFL bail your club out because you're a basket case, you haven't got much choice but to do what they say. 

Suck ■■■■ Port.

But seriously it's pretty ■■■■■■. Home game, home jumper. The visitors should be made to feel like visitors.

I can imagine Blitz screaming ■■■■■■ murder if we had to wear our clash jumper against a visiting team in a home final.

I take it North will be wearing white shorts on Saturday night?

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to our jumper.

And comparing me to Eddie?  Them's fighting words!   ;)

And for a laugh....

Port-Adelaide-Wedding.jpg

I thought that was Sticks Kernahan!