Post-draft Best 22

This discussion was created from comments split from: Post trade best 22.

B: Baguley Hartley Brown
HB: Goddard Hurley Kelly
C: Colyer Watson Heppell
HF: Zaka Daniher Fantasia
F: TIPPA Hooker Langford
R: Leuey Zerrett Hocking

B: Stanton Myers Parish McGrath

Plenty in reserve who could just as easily come into side and competently play their role. Experience and youngsters will be really pressing their claims in twos.

Lid off.

You have got to be kidding.

They will play if good enough. No charity required.

Whatever the composition of the team in 2017 the following young players (excluding players like Daniher who’ve been in the list for a bit), barring injury, should play (as in, increased exposure to AFL) most games and be the core of the team moving forward …
Fantasia
Francis
Hartley
Langford
Laverde
Long
Tippa
Parish
McGrath

McGrath will play round 1.

My preferred side.

B: Baguley, Hartley, Kelly
HB: McKenna, Hurley, Francis
C: Zaharakis, Watson, Colyer
HF: Langford, Daniher, Tippa
F: Fantasia, Hooker, Laverde
Foll: Leuenberger, Z Merrett, D Heppell
Bench: Parish, McGrath, Myers, Hocking

Emerg. Ambrose, Redman, Bird, Gleeson

Don’t have Goddard or Stanton in and they will obviously get picked… maybe for McKenna and maybe Francis but the idea of these two continuing in the VFL does not excite me in the slightest as I think they’d take big strides playing ones with the support they’d have around them.

Anyone who doesn’t have Zerrett on the ball should just give up…

B: Baguley, Hartley, McKenna
HB: Stanton, Hurley, Kelly
C: Goddard, Watson, Colyer
HF: Zaka, Daniher, Tippa
F: Fantasia, Hooker, Belly
Foll: Looney, Z Merrett, D Heppell
Bench: Parish, McGrath, Myers, Hocking

Afl

Bags ambrose hurley
Kelly Hartley Gleeson

Zaha Watson stanton
Luey hepp zerret

colyer JD Tippa
Langford hooker Fanta

Bj Hocking parish Mcgrath

Vfl

DEA brown Ridley
Conor Francis Morgan

Lav Myers long
Tbell bird mutch

Redman Stewart howlett
Begley Smack green

Jerret, Clarke, ???, ???

Fark… imagine how much a centre square combination of t-bell, Myers, Bird and Howlett would tear it up at vfl level

Love that forward line too ivan

Wouldn’t put it past Worsfold at some stage of the year to have McGrath, Parish, Merrett in at the centre bounce with Fantasia and Colyer coming in from the wings. Gee, competition for spots will be huge next year!

Afl

Bags ambrose hurley
Kelly Hartley Gleeson

Zaha Watson stanton
Luey hepp zerret

colyer JD Tippa
Langford hooker Fanta

Vfl

DEA brown Ridley
Conor Francis Morgan

Lav Myers long
Tbell bird mutch

Redman Stewart howlett
Begley Smack green

Jerret, Clarke, ???, ???

There are some listed in the 2s that may not be the “best” and yet we are almost obliged to play them at the level. Begley, Clarke, Ridley, Mutch, then there are the new rookies.

In particular, when VFL captain & Vice Captain are appointed, they will not be an AFL listed players. I believe it will be NOB, / Ben McNeice, as such they will have to play.
For example, the VFL B&F, from last year, HeppA doesnt get a game in the 2s ?
Nick O’Brien not good enough and yet he is the first player announced on the VFL list ?
Ben McNeice trains with Essendon AFL players and doesnt even make it in the VFL side?

It raises some interesting questions re the way the VFL side is managed, as regards VFL players. Do we just bring in top ups from local feeder clubs when our listed players are injured ?

I dont want to even start talking about injuries to AFL listed players , but if we dont have many ( 4 is great, 8 is about average, 12 is a disaster ) then we will have problems selecting the VFL side

Bags Ambrose Hurley
Goddard Francis Kelly

Zaka Watson Myers
Luey Hepp Zerret

Colyer JD Tippa
Bellcho Hooker Fanta

Stanton Parish Lang Laverde

That half back line got so much good depth on it, its great! MCG, Gleeson, Morgan and Irish. Good problem to have.

That vfl team too! Very strong.

Afl

Bags ambrose hurley
Kelly Hartley Gleeson

Zaha Watson stanton
Luey hepp zerret

colyer JD Tippa
Langford hooker Fanta

Vfl

DEA brown Ridley
Conor Francis Morgan

Lav Myers long
Tbell bird mutch

Redman Stewart howlett
Begley Smack green

Jerret, Clarke, ???, ???

There are some listed in the 2s that may not be the “best” and yet we are almost obliged to play them at the level. Begley, Clarke, Ridley, Mutch, then there are the new rookies.

In particular, when VFL captain & Vice Captain are appointed, they will not be an AFL listed players. I believe it will be NOB, / Ben McNeice, as such they will have to play.
For example, the VFL B&F, from last year, HeppA doesnt get a game in the 2s ?
Nick O’Brien not good enough and yet he is the first player announced on the VFL list ?
Ben McNeice trains with Essendon AFL players and doesnt even make it in the VFL side?

It raises some interesting questions re the way the VFL side is managed, as regards VFL players. Do we just bring in top ups from local feeder clubs when our listed players are injured ?

I dont want to even start talking about injuries to AFL listed players , but if we dont have many ( 4 is great, 8 is about average, 12 is a disaster ) then we will have problems selecting the VFL side

I dunno about this, we always have 44 on the list and AFL players who are not getting a game are always playing in the VFL and these things have never been an issue before have they? There are always injuries and whatever

Hrm, might be some kinda chance at some point to have a half back line of

Mutch Hooker BJ

Couldn’t care who players in the best 22, as long as we come out and smash the Hawks the first game!!! Lid farkin Off.

P.S Would love to see Mcgrath outrun Rioli and snap a goal from the boundry, aka buddy v hooker

Thats a strong VFL team. I think a few blokes will be managed this season so wont be surprised if we have 6 or 7 VFL only guys

Not expecting any of the drafted kids to play round 1. And thats absolutely fine.

If we go into Rd1 with a HB line of Kelly/Goddard/some other old bloke, then we haven’t been paying attention to how you win modern games of footy. There is arguably no position more important for beating the press and giving your team a chance to play attacking footy.

http://www.afl.com.au/afl/stats/player-ratings/overall-standings#position/medium_defender

Look at the top 5, Shaw/Burgoyne/Rampe/Williams/Enright. The dogs have Boyd/Wood/johannisen not far away. Top 4 teams have elite play makers off the HBF. Our highest rated player in that position is Kelly who comes in at #33. We must develop players in this position.

One (preferably two) of McGrath/Tippa/Gleeson/oirish must be getting regular gametime on the hbf. If we go in with the dads army setups we are going to get trounced.