Post-draft Best 22

B. McGrath Hurley Ambrose
H.B. Kelly Hooker Tippa
C. Parish Watson Colyer
H.F. Zaka. Francis Laverde
F. Green. Daniher. Fantasia
Foll. Luey. Heppell. Zerrett
Int. Belcho. Goddard. Gleeson. Hocking

Best 22 depends on the makeup of the opposition. For example if Hawthorn play Rioli and Puopolo and Bruest you need a different defensive structure than if you play West Coast with Darling Kennedy and generic third tall/NicNat.

I like to modify my Best 22 based on performance just for funā€¦ and something footy related to do. So after Thursday nights gameā€¦

Thought the backline lacked height, so Iā€™ve dropped the Hurley / Ambrose 2 tall idea, and brought Harts back in. This drops one of the medium sized defenders out. Iā€™ve actually dropped Kelly back to the bench to rotate him through the midfield (because I felt he looked really good in there in parts on Thursday night).

Thought our 2nd string mids got belted. Was under-whelmed by Myers so have dropped him, and thrown Hocking back in. And didnā€™t think Langford was great, so am playing with the thought of giving Kelly his midfield rotation spot off the bench.

Our back-up ruck options all failed spectacularly (excluding Smack, but as a rookie it is difficult to lock him in). As such, for the first time this preseason, Iā€™ve put TBC in the forward pocket as a resting ruck. Didnā€™t want to, but am struggling to see a viable alternative.

Forward line : I was so impressed by the Fantasia / Green / Walla combination that Iā€™ve gone 3 talls / 3 smalls, and completely done away with the mediums.

On the bench Iā€™m channelling the 2000 side where we had our bench stacked with experience.

B Baguley Hartley Hurley
HB Dea Ambrose Gleeson
C Zaharakis Heppell Colyer
HF Walla Daniher Fantasia
F Bellchambers Hooker Green
R Leuenberger Zerrett Hocking
Int Watson Parish Kelly Goddard

Still not sure I like itā€¦ seems too tall and a bit slow. Ah well, itā€™s all good for discussion.

I donā€™t think both Langford and laverde are both best 22 right now. I think you can only play one. And itā€™s hard to choose who.

I don't think both Langford and laverde are both best 22 right now. I think you can only play one. And it's hard to choose who.

Both players are our future so I feel both will be in our best 22 right now. That is my opinion.

Round 1 for me. Bellcho is injured. Lots to choose from.

B Baguley Hartley Ambrose
HB Goddard Hurley Gleeson
C Zaharakis Heppell Colyer
HF Walla Daniher Fantasia
F Watson Hooker Green
R Leuenberger Zerrett Hocking
Int from McKernan Parish Kelly Dea Stanton Langford Laverde Stewart

Unlucky McKenna, Francis, McGrath

I think Hocking is a must for Round 1. Just so important to our side. His hardness will be critical against Hawthorn. The guy refuses to take a backwards step. Plus we will need him to be tagging one of the mids. I just have no idea who to leave out for him though. The only one who is a bit like for like is Langford, and that would be really rough on him as he really hasnā€™t done anything wrong.

B McGrath Hartley Brown
HB McKenna Hurley Gleeson
C Colyer Watson Parish
HF Raz Joe Walla
F Francis Hooker Green
R Leuenberger Heppell Zerrett
Int Kelly Hocking Zaharakis Laverde

I agree with everyone this is very hard. There are so many players who can justify a spot.

My side errs on the side of youth and pace with enough experience and strength to keep us settled.

I have bolded the players I think are a lock for round 1.

Iā€™ve been very tough on Goddard, who in reality will most likely be in the side and might push out Laverde.
Baguely will probably keep McGrath out.
Brown could be exchanged for Ambrose or Dea, depending on the opposition, although I am fond of the idea of swinging Francis and Brown back and forth.
McKenna will probably not make it in the side yet, but I like his pace (and disposal) off HBF, which is lacking otherwise, unless we put Walla back there.
Gleeson could be exchanged with Kelly or Goddard
Francis could be swapped for Stewart, Langford, Laverde or Bellchambers.
On the bench you could put in Stanton, Myers and with Howlett not too far back.

I would love to see Longy emerge into best 22 contention this year.

This year is going to be tough to blood first year players given the competition for spots, but hopeful of Begley making an appearance given his body is ready.

Iā€™m very excited about our forward line and mids and our back 6 could be great but will need to gel.

Our ruck stocks donā€™t go deep enough, but hopefully Leuey stays on the park and TBC finds fitness and form. I only see McKernan as a third tall who can pinch hit in the ruck at best and will hopefully learn not to give away as many frees. Sammy I donā€™t expect to be ready for the firsts before 2019. I would not have been adverse to rookie-ing Jamar for this years back up, as I think he would have been a great competitor if needed, great guy to have on the park for the young fellas.

Langford and Laverde can replace Hocking and Stanton when the former are better than the latter. Unless my judgement is way off they arenā€™t there yet. Were not already tanking one game into preseason were kids need to be gifted games on future potential. Let them work their backsides off to get there.

B McGrath Hartley Brown HB McKenna Hurley Gleeson C Colyer Watson Parish HF Raz Joe Walla F Francis Hooker Green R Leuenberger Heppell Zerrett Int Kelly Hocking Zaharakis Laverde

I agree with everyone this is very hard. There are so many players who can justify a spot.

My side errs on the side of youth and pace with enough experience and strength to keep us settled.

I have bolded the players I think are a lock for round 1.

Iā€™ve been very tough on Goddard, who in reality will most likely be in the side and might push out Laverde.
Baguely will probably keep McGrath out.
Brown could be exchanged for Ambrose or Dea, depending on the opposition, although I am fond of the idea of swinging Francis and Brown back and forth.
McKenna will probably not make it in the side yet, but I like his pace (and disposal) off HBF, which is lacking otherwise, unless we put Walla back there.
Gleeson could be exchanged with Kelly or Goddard
Francis could be swapped for Stewart, Langford, Laverde or Bellchambers.
On the bench you could put in Stanton, Myers and with Howlett not too far back.

I would love to see Longy emerge into best 22 contention this year.

This year is going to be tough to blood first year players given the competition for spots, but hopeful of Begley making an appearance given his body is ready.

Iā€™m very excited about our forward line and mids and our back 6 could be great but will need to gel.

Our ruck stocks donā€™t go deep enough, but hopefully Leuey stays on the park and TBC finds fitness and form. I only see McKernan as a third tall who can pinch hit in the ruck at best and will hopefully learn not to give away as many frees. Sammy I donā€™t expect to be ready for the firsts before 2019. I would not have been adverse to rookie-ing Jamar for this years back up, as I think he would have been a great competitor if needed, great guy to have on the park for the young fellas.

Having been burnt by many a ruckmanā€¦ I still find myself firmly on the Sammy Draper train, and do hope he has an extraordinarily good footy career. Has so many assets, just hope they come together and form a footballer.

B Bags Hartley Ambrose
HB Walla Hurley Kelly
C Colyer Watson Parish
HF Raz Joe Goddard
F Laverde Hooker Green
R Leuenberger Heppell Zerrett
Int Stanton Hocking Zaharakis Langford

Emerg: Myers, Stewart, Gleeson, Brown, Dea, McGrath, McKenna, Francis, Begley.

My previous side as I said erred on the side of youth and pace, this one is less aspirational and more about being round 1 ready, and making the young ones earn their spot. Those in bold I think are a lock in our best 22.

As a couple have said also, I see Woosha giving younger players a run sooner rather than later as part of managing the older players (as well as the younger players) and also getting them to mentor the younger players on the field, not unlike last year. I think that is best way of making the most of bringing back the suspended players while still developing our young players.

Reflecting on the side, I suspect Long could easily be promoted to the senior list, and get game time in the firsts because we could need his pace if any of our running players go down. Likewise, if Bags isnā€™t up to it this year, McNeice may be a surprise elevation, and McKernan is our ruck/forward cover. Other than Draper as a development prospect, I think our rookies provide much needed depth in critical areas this year and 3 of them could easily come in to play in the seniors.

I think Disco and the recruitment team should get a medal for their work in getting us through this extraordinary period in the clubā€™s history. I donā€™t think they could have done a much better job of retaining older players and recruiting a balanced group of younger ones who can lead us to an exciting future.

We need to add pace to the backline, without compromising it in the air, and we need to add defensive grit to the midfield.

Can we afford the luxury of playing all of tippa, Fanta, green, colyer, and zaha? (Not to mention lav)

I just donā€™t think we can get away with tippa down back.

Bags/dea hurley ambrose
Kelly Hartley Gleeson

Zaha Watson stanton
Luey hepp zerret

colyer JD Tippa
Langford hooker Fanta

Bj parish green Conor/McGrath

Who do I squeeze out for Hocking or bird (donā€™t all say Stanton at once)

Could you drop hartley and play DEA as the 3rd tall defender. It would be a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  short backline

We need to add pace to the backline, without compromising it in the air, and we needed to a eccentrics edge to the midfield.

Can we afford the luxury of playing all of tippa, Fanta, green, colyer, and zaha? (Not to mention lav)

I just donā€™t think we can get away with tippa down back.

McKenna?

and we needed to a eccentrics edge to the midfield.

ā€¦what?

ā€¦what?

Yup, thanks phone. Took me a while to work out/remember what I was trying to say.

ā€¦what?

Yup, thanks phone. Took me a while to work out/remember what I was trying to say.

We need to get Sheeds on board as Assistant Eccentric Coach

Most of the sides listed in this thread don;t have elite kicks in the back half. Most are good kicks but nobody that can slice through a zone and start and attack with that low and flat risky kick.

For that reason one of mckenna, walla or mcneice need to play in the back half i think. I think its worth the loss in defensive ability for the setting up these guys can do with their elite kicking. Mckenna is my choice to start (previously not a fan till i saw him in the first intra club his kicking was sublime), then tippa to move back if he isnt successful forward. Mcniece i havenā€™t seen enough of yet but i know he is a great kick too. The modern game calls for those risk takers setting up play from defence, so i think one of these 3 are needed back there.

Myers out for 2mths - tendon in finger.

Poor lad.

My dilemma over Hocking vs Myers resolved however.

And if Smack gets upgraded could well be playing fwd/ruck around JD & Hooker.

My dream side updated. Iā€™d love to fit Green in but am pretty fixed on McKenna at half back. If Tippa and Fantasia are forward with Colyer rotating I canā€™t quite fit Green in yet.

My changes are Francis out due to an interrupted pre season with Ambrose coming in. I had Francis pencilled for the 3rd backman but Hurls now takes that role for me.

The only other change is Myers out for Gleeson. I know theyā€™re not like for like but Hocking, Parish, Heppell and Watson are enough grunt for mine.

B: Baguley, Ambrose, Kelly
HB: McKenna, Hartley, Hurley
C: Zaharakis, Watson, Colyer
HF: Langford, Daniher, Tippa
F: Fantasia, Hooker, Laverde
Foll: Leuenberger, Z Merrett, D Heppell
Bench: Parish, McGrath, Myers, Hocking

Green, Goddard, Bird and Stants as emergencies all of whom are pretty stiff.

Howlett, Dea and Stewart and Brown are all depth.