Post-draft Best 22

After reading this - how can you not get excited?

Iā€™m ready for 2018.

I think we are flag hope if things go right.

Stopped reading after the Hartley comment.

2 Likes

Agree about Hartley not being that amazing, but could easily replace with Ambrose. Would just depend on the style of key forward we need a match up for. And if the midfield improves maybe the ball wonā€™t come in as often.

I donā€™t mind that heā€™s in the side, I mind that he called 2017 his best year.
Why would I pay any attention to anything else he said after that?
Iā€™d rather read blitzerā€™s assesments.

You would have missed the Stringer being a small fwd comment also then. All 192cm & 88kg of him.

Crikey, poor Ambrose! Not even a mention as ā€˜unluckyā€™ to miss out on a position in defence (even the Zerk got a mention!).

Ambrose is twice the player Hartley will ever be, and a lock in our B22.

3 Likes

I canā€™t really fault this best 22 to be honest, I really like it. Bar maybe Stewart for a small such as Gleeson. Youā€™d argue that Gleeson, Ambrose, Green and Laverde are probably next in line.

I would swap Ambrose for Hartley and I think itā€™s pretty close.

In the second half of the year I would like to see Begley replace Myers and somehow get Francis in the side.

There will be some unlucky players next season.

2 Likes

Hartley tops the club for 1%ers. That is good sure, but its not as good as winning 1 on 1 contests.

Yeah for me itā€™s tight between Hartley and Ambrose. I think Ambrose is the better player because of his exposed form as a lockdown defender but I have gone Hartley because he is the only really tall backman we have. Plus I see the potential there with his kicking.

2 Likes

For mi e Ambrose is more proven as a defender. Being tall hasnā€™t given Hartley any advantage that I can see so far.

I agree Hartley has scope for improvement especially with his kicking ability. But until he puts it altogether I prefer Ambrose.

And I donā€™t think thereā€™s room for both.

1 Like

I canā€™t really see Gleeson missing the 22 personally.

2 Likes

Hartley will be picked before Ambrose IMO

There are too many teams with near 200cm main kpfā€™s or resting rucks.

I expect it will as was the case this season:

Hurley, Hartley & either Ambrose/Gleeson.

Except in some cases where we need all 4 like versus Crows (Tex, JJ, McGovern & Lynch) or also as we did versus the Swans.

Hartley is still just coming along in his development. Hooker was certainly no star at Harts age just yet. Our midfield pressure was poor this year so all defenders under pump none moreso than the one taking the oppositions main fwd a lot of the time.

2 Likes

If you ainā€™t got Gleeks in your best 22, you can GAGF!

4 Likes

In form Ambrose and Gleeson demand a start.

I think with Hurley and Ambrose in our backline if gives it that required hardness.

Gleeson just has that composure and I donā€™t believe we have seen his best footy yet.

The other compelling argument for including Gleeson is to provide some interchange capability for the backs.
Without him all backs are playing 100% game time.
In for Colyer

4 Likes

Hartleyā€™s build and the way he moves (like heā€™s on rails) reminds me of Simon Prestigiacomo.

I didnā€™t happen that way this season so Iā€™m not sure why it would happen that way next season.

Hartley was dropped early in the year due to poor form and more than likely recognition that we were carrying to many tall players in our backline.

He only got recalled when Ambrose went down with injury and from there he was consistently beaten by opponents that took him deep into the forwardline and then beat him on the lead. That was happening early in the season and was not rectified at all during the year.

He was dropped again late in the year but was brought back in to match up on 2MP. Not every side has a 2 mtr tall player.

Mark Harvey himself was gushing over Ambrose in an interview during the year and I suspect that its his place to lose. Even more so when you have a guy who comes back in ripping shape and takes out the time trial.

Iā€™m not suggesting that Hartley wont be in the side though. They may go with the three at the back again but for that to happen I think Hartley needs to improve both his defensive side and more importantly his offensive side.

In my opinion you cant carry two taller guys in defence that are purely there for defensive reasons only.

2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure he got dropped for Brown and went back to twos to work on intercept game. Brown then got injured.

It wasnā€™t to do with Ambrose

I agree Harvey raving about Ambrose, and he did so well at times that they then felt comfortable with him taking one of oppositions best fwds and Hurley then becoming a 3rd tall rather than the reverse.

But I still stand by my point on the near 200cm players.

Dixon. Patton. Ben Brown. Casboult. Lynch/2m Peter. Tom Boyd. Mason Cox etcā€¦ most sides have one and Hartley is the man for the job.

All defenders get burnt on lead when midfield pressure poor. Ambrose was towelled up by Buddy in the final. Hurley also by Sinclair.

2 Likes