Post-draft Best 22

I’d be interested to see stats on how many goals mids kicked against us

Don’t be silly with the stats Ivan.

Hartley cost us every game we lost and could have cost us every game we won.

He should be an All Australian grade defender already and never have days where his man beats him, like Hurley doesn’t.

1 Like

Technically its his fourth season on an AFL list.

Its not like he’s 19 or 20.

Gleeson was second at the club behind Hurley for intercept marks last season. The most under rated player in the league. Definitely best 22

2 Likes

Just a C grade player mate. Most clubs have them, we are fortunate to have relatively few on the list currently. In his 6th season of senior football by the way.

Would be my choice as well. However, I think Langford will have to prove he has improved before he will be selected before Myers.

Langford has proved it via his season at VFL level.

He needs to be given an opportunity at senior level now to show he can do it there. It’s the logical step.

His place in the senior side next season is assured. The coaches have been very vocal about that.

1 Like

B: Gleeson Brown Hurley
HB: McKenna Ambrose Saad
C: McGrath Heppell Zaharakis
R: Bellchambers Zerrett Parish
HF: Fantasia Daniher Stewart
F: Stringer Hooker Tippa
Int: Goddard/Smith/Langford/Myers

• Hartley had his chance to claim FB in 2017, and he fell short, so I am giving first go to a hopefully healthy Brown.
  • Hurley and Gleeson offer the flexibility to play both small or tall.
  • Baguley just pushed out, due to Saad really, and the tired knees, but may be writing off the old workhorse fractionally early.
  • Colyer pushed out because we have so many short midfield players, with better disposal, and I don’t think his running is elite.
  • Begley just misses out, as Smith and Stringer give us a surplus of HFF/Mids who are just ahead of him. Excited about his potential though.
1 Like

B: Baguley Hartley Ambrose
HB: Saad Hurley McKenna
C: Zaharakis Stringer McGrath
HF: Smith Daniher Stewart
F: Walla Hooker Fantasia
R: Bellchambers Heppell Merrett
INT: Gleeson Goddard Parish Begley

But I think Langford will find himself in the starting 22 at least for the first couple of rounds.

I still do a double take when I see Stringer named in our midfield.

Next year is going to be fun.

1 Like

I dunno about Bellchambers, he always puts in a few shockers each year. Leunbergers best isn;t as good but he is always consistent and always gives 100%. Agree that Gleeson deserves a spot in the best 22.
I urge a few people in here with short memories to go back and watch our last game v sydney, playing well in finals takes priority for mine.

2 Likes

Gleeson will be best 22 IF…if he continues his improvement from last year. If we are injury free and he goes back to normal early 2017 form then I wouldn’t be guaranteeing him a spot. Time will tell, I really hope he can because he was outstanding in our final and really put it all together.

Also on Green, I really like him but with the addition of Smith and Stringer forward spots really start to become tight. Good thing is it’s a long season so we’re actually looking for a very good best 30. So even if Green, Gleeson, Myers, Francis, Hartley, Ambrose, Stewart, Langford, Laverde, Colyer, Leuenberger, Mutch, Begley, Ridley aren’t best 22 round 1, they will certainly get extended periods in the seniors at some stage I’m sure.

2 Likes

I like your team Clark. The one exception is the Baguley omission, I see him as a class or two above Mitch Brown (not that they are comparable in style). Also agree that despite the Blitz think tank - Myers is a certainty to be in the R1 line-up if fit.

Hartley just has to be told that grabbing holding of his opponent’s jumper is just not on.

Must have cost us at least 200 goals last season.

I do remember some really bad ones against Hipwood and Hawkins.

5 Likes

Yep and it’s just so frustrating. If you get beaten, so be it, but don’t just hand them the ball.

You wan’t to preemptively trade out anyone who can’t cement themselves in the senior team? What’s the point of having a list with lots of depth if you go throwing it away?

I hope our best 22 is good enough. Jeff kennet reckons hawthorn will be back in the 8 and they are going to win 7 more premierships in the next 22 years, and clarko is a genius.

Next time i see jeff kennet i will ask him what his bath water tastes like.

The trouble with the jumper holding is that so many defenders get away with it so often, and the forwards often initiate it. It’s like bluffing in poker isn’t it, when you get caught out you really do look stupid.

1 Like

And when it comes to Essendon, the umpires are calling stations.

The vague and inconsistent interpretations of Aussie Rules is a blight on the game, and at times, renders it almost unwatchable.

1 Like