Post-draft Best 22

Reckon there are some HUGELY optimistic assumptions being made about Stringer’s capabilities as any sort of midfielder.

The biggest improvement that will be made this coming season aside from the new players will be the refinements made to the game plan.

2 Likes

Hmmmm, I’m not sure I agree with this. He’s talented enough to build his game in the ones as a forward /mid. I think we need to get him exposure at senior level asap.

1 Like

I agree with you in principal. I thought Langford should have been given more opportunities last season.

The difference I see this coming season though is one of expectation. Can we afford to have to many inexperienced kids rolling through midfield when our ultimate goal will be to win games.

I know we set out to win games every week but the balance with development comes when you have a side that’s not expected to challenge for the flag.

I think our midfield already has enough question marks without adding more to it.

Unless of course you think he should just play on a flank all year which I think to be counterproductive.

Yeah, look, I don’t know if Begleys first game was an indication of how good he is, or just a fluke. However, a bloke puts up that sort of performance, and demonstrates that level of skill. Plus he has had an extra off-season to build his tank… well… he has to play AFL, regardless of position.

This thing where we sent Langford back to learn midfield is largely because he wasn’t sufficiently talented to be carried in the seniors while he learnt. Begley may be.

2 Likes

This ‘best 22’ stuff is always a little confused when you change it from ‘one game, best 22’, to ‘who we’d like to develop for future benefit best 22’. Because they are not the same thing, at all.

1 Like

Spending a year on the flank didn’t hinder hepp or Zerret.

Kid can play, as long as he’s contributing it’s ones for me.

But I’m also in the Langford should have played ahead of Myers camp last year.

2 Likes

Hepp and Zerrett has played a lot of midfield in their jnr years though.

I see your point though.

I’m a massive fan of Begley and have been talking him up from before he even cracked the snr side and I have very high hopes for him.

I’m not opposed to him being played seniors but I would also love for him to play half a season in the vfl and rack up 25 plus possessions a game to get that production up.

It’s incredibly hard to get continuity when you play half forward(which in my opinion is the most unrewarding role in the side) with stints in the middle. As we saw with Langford you end up losing feel for what’s going on.

1 Like

Agree. Very talented player.

All comes down to what the selection panel see as more beneficial to the team winning games.

They want the pressure small fwd to allow TIPPA/Raz more time upfield to utilize their pace/creativity it will be Green.

They want an additional bigger bodied option to go into midfield rotations at times then Begley in team will have merit.

We shall see how it turns out but I think we will be looking at pace/pressure as priority more often than not. Richmond showed how important it is.

1 Like

I know they want mcg up around the ball but I would like to see McKenna maybe with some midfield time.

How do we train our emerging mids when we dont have a lot of A Grade inside mids? ( Like maybe 1)

Is it best to set up the best midgroup against “the rest” or compose the 2 groups to be roughly equal in talent.

Either way, you are not testing out either group . To improve, each mid would need to compete with equal or better players

Unfortunately, because of the above, its going to be a baptism of fire for our midfield and the 2 JLT games will be very important to ensure they hit the ground running at the start of the season. The club should be looking at 1 or 2 intraclubs with standalone VFL teams like Willi / Port to get some real competition into our new group.

I really like this best 22 because it has the potential to change shape combat the strengths of the opposition (eg: Goddard and Ambrose can add strength and experience to the backline if needed, or it can be left fast and mobile, even adding McGrath if necessary).

The interchange can add or rotate in some midfield muscle, but also bolster the forward line allowing forwards to rotate into the midfield.

The depth looks good too. If our inside mids can cut it this year, and I am expecting improvement from Langford, Parish, Heppell, Myers, Walla, Begley, Smith, McGrath and Stringer, I don’t see why our forward line can’t kill it this year.

Hooker also can go forward if to improve the forward structure if necessary.

Can’t see why we won’t do better this year.

BEST 22

Backs: Mark Baguley, Cale Hooker, Martin Gleeson

Half-backs: Conor McKenna, Michael Hurley, Adam Saad

Centres: Andrew McGrath, Dyson Heppell, David Zaharakis

Half-forwards: James Stewart, Joe Daniher, Anthony McDonald-Tipingwuti

Forwards: Orazio Fantasia, Jake Stringer , Devon Smith

Followers: Tom Bellchambers, Zach Merrett, Darcy Parish

Interchange: Kyle Langford, Patrick Ambrose, Josh Begley, Brendon Goddard

Emergencies: Jayden Laverde, Travis Colyer, David Myers

Reserves expected to play in 2018: Mitch Brown, Aaron Francis, Josh Green, Michael Hartley, Matthew Leuenberger, Shaun McKernan, Kobe Mutch, Dylan Clarke, Sam Draper, Matthew Dea, Jordan Ridley, Jake Long.

3 Likes

Maybe.

But coincidentally today I was watching a video I took of my golf swing from 2016. Footy was on the radio in the background of the video. When audio the starts what you hear is “Umpire bounces back in the middle…Stringer gathers and bursts out of the centre”

I’ll take that as an omen.

5 Likes

Every Tom ■■■■ and Harry want to have a go at picking our best 22, including some who have NFI, but clearly read BB or BF. This one is from SEN

2018 AFL PREVIEW | ESSENDON’S BEST 22
BY LUKE SICARI

As we begin 2018, SEN will be dissecting each AFL club’s Best 22 leading into Round 1. We continue the series looking at how Essendon is shaping up.

Dubbed an offseason champion, John Worsfold will be coaching one of the league’s most hyped squads this year.

It comes after an aggressive approach in the player movement market indicated the Bombers are looking to launch themselves into premiership contention in 2018, but that hope depends on what version of their three marquee recruits they get.

Jake Stringer is the biggest fascination.

At his best, the 23-year-old is a game changer, who can do things on the football field that most wouldn’t even attempt.

We saw those innate qualities in his 2015 All-Australian campaign and if that Stringer appears for Essendon, then Worsfold will have a new weapon up forward.

However, Stringer’s mindset, commitment levels and off-field behaviour have all been questioned, elements that led to a horror 2017, something he cannot afford to happen again. There is still risk involved in his acquisition.

Devon Smith and Adam Saad are both safer bets than Stringer, but have their own associated queries.

Smith adds class to a Dons midfield that lacks it, but his constant knee issues limited his output with Greater Western Sydney. He needs to stay on the park.

Meanwhile, Saad will inject run and carry off the halfback line, creating a pacey partnership with Irish sensation Conor McKenna.

The former Gold Coast Sun has been prone to compromising some disposal efficiency when charging out of defence, often moving so quickly, it’s a detriment. Wind Saad back a tad, and you have an All-Australian talent.

That trio joins a side that is strong at both bookends, but is shallow in the middle.

In defence, Michael Hurley is the shutdown tall, Martin Gleeson and Mark Baguley are honest contributors that get the job done, while Stringer’s addition allows Cale Hooker to move back to his natural habitat.

Around goal, Joe Daniher is on the path to superstardom, and excitement machines Orzaio Fantasia and Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti flank him.

The engine room is the Bombers’ weakness, though.

Dyson Heppell and Zach Merrett are both stars, but can they go to that extra gear where they’ll define contests and change the result of a game? David Zaharakis is steady, while Darcy Parish’s development will continue.

Rising Star winner Andrew McGrath is expected to play more midfield minutes which will help, and Stringer will also be utilised there on occasion, but his endurance is a question.

Best 22:

B: Martin Gleeson, Michael Hurley, Mark Baguley

HB: Adam Saad, Cale Hooker, Brendon Goddard

C: Andrew McGrath, Zach Merrett, David Zaharakis

HF: Devon Smith, Jake Stringer, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti

F: James Stewart, Joe Daniher, Orzaio Fantasia

FOLL: Tom Bellchambers, Dyson Heppell, Darcy Parish

INT: Josh Green, Conor McKenna, Michael Hartley, David Myers

I don’t rate any of these so called experts who keep picking Hooker in the backline.

I don’t mind people in the best 22 threads pickig what they’d like to see.

But in articles like this, they should be picking what is likely to be the best 22.

5 Likes

Christ mate, he was an all australian defender. its not hard to see why they keep putting him there.

2 Likes

Considering everyone at the club from the boot studder to the coach has said he’ll be playing forward, it is hard to see why.

4 Likes

If Hooker is picked in backline then Hartley certainly ain’t on the bench

2 Likes

Hartley forward

And nothing could ever change in 3 months, its just a locked in fact that he will be forward and thats it …

We have got that many options at either end that he may just float to where ever he is required on the day, the guy is that good he could actually do that.