Post trade best 22

The thing I like about this...............................

pressure-calculation.gif

Pressure to perform, pressure on spots.

2 young kids means we are not neglecting refreshing the list. Plus we know how some more depth and pressure on spots. Cooney, Gwilt and Kommer all provide pressure on spots.

Giles means TBell can't stink it up or 2015 will be a 2014 repeat,

Kids will get their chance through injuries and form. The way it should be.

These teams need more TIPPA!

Given what has happened this morning, here is a best 22 thread.

B: Baguley, Hooker, Fletcher

HB: Dempsey, Hurley, Hibberd

C: Colyer, Hocking, Cooney

HF: Zaharakis, Carlisle, Goddard

F: Chapman, Daniher, Ambrose

R: Bellchambers, Watson, Heppell

Int: Z. Merrett, Stanton, Myers, Giles

Emerg: Gwilt, Winderlich, Howlett, Gleeson

Left-overs: O'Brien, Ashby, Pears, Melksham, Edwards, J. Merrett, Browne, Steinberg, Kavanagh, Dell'Olio, Gleeson, Dalgleish, Gregory, Kommer, Hams, Aylett, Thurlow, Rayner, Fantasia plus draft picks and Long.

Not bad.. I bolded the changes, mostly positional..but the main one, Gwilt out, Demps back to half back flank as Colyer must play. His pace and incredible improvement must be utilised this year.

The great teams have players FIGHTING to get into the best 22 and stay there.  This is starting to happen,  in no small part because  no one wants to play in the Essendon VFL team.

C: Colyer, Cooney, Z. Merrett

Int: Stanton, Hocking, Myers, Giles

Emerg: Gwilt, Winderlich, Howlett

I found that very hard... Howlett as an emergency killed me, tried to fit him in but could not work out who to drop?

Subject to matchups.  As regards Hocking,  maybe its now a matter of "do we tag any player"  instead of "who do we tag"

From the interchange,  Hocking can be brought to to play as a "free inside midfielder" or tag a player who is out of control.

Against  50% of teams we should not bother to tag anyone as a predetermined plan.  

Against the top teams,  I guess its mandatory,  but which player do we tag ?

What we have seen little of,  is how good is Hocking as a straight midfield player, relieved of tagging duties?

Cooney is not ahead of Buddha or Myers. Maybe howlett but they are different players. All 3 recruits are depth players which is fine.

Cooney will rotate with chappy.

Cooney still has pace and skill. I’d love to see him as an opportunist forward rotating for bursts through the midfield

Cooney still has pace and skill. I'd love to see him as an opportunist forward rotating for bursts through the midfield

Posted Today, 06:50 PM

Cooney is not ahead of Buddha or Myers. Maybe howlett but they are different players. All 3 recruits are depth players which is fine.
Cooney will rotate with chappy. 

I love the idea of the Cooney / Chappy rotation.   Silky skills,  goal sense both of them.

Trouble is going to be with them fighting each other to get game time.   

The thing I like about this...............................

pressure-calculation.gif

Pressure to perform, pressure on spots.

Geez, that new high-altitude chamber looks dangerous.
WILSON: BOMBER DEATHS RELATED TO REMOVAL OF CANCER-CAUSING CHEMICAL

We really should draft two young mids since that midfield group is getting old. Hird knows this and have said so already.

You are making a massive ■■■

What is really striking me is the age of the best 22, midfield particularly.  Even assuming Gwilt doesn't play unless we have injuries, we've got Goddard, Watson, Winderlich, Stanton, Chapman, Baguley, Cooney, Dempsey all north of 27, and with our 22 so stuffed to bursting with old guys we've got basically no room at all to give kids a sustained run.  Zerrett Heppell and Daniher get a go, sure, simply cos they've earned it, but how are guys like Browne, Kav, Gleeson, Jerrett, Hams, Orazio (plus this year's draftees, of course) supposed to get senior experience and earn their spot when every year we bring in another supperannuant to crowd the kids out of the 22?  BJ and Watson aren't really as problem cos they're still in top form, and there's no big rush on Baguley or Dempsey either, but we could lose any or all of the others at any time and the guys we'll be wanting to replace them in the guts of the midfield rotation will be 10-20 gamers rather than 50 gamers.

And my god the tall depth looks awful.  The first-choice spine is great, but after that there is quite literally nothing.  Injuries to any two talls at any given time - you know, like we failed to cover during the elimination final and lost because of it - and we're in deep trouble.

W're gambling absolutely everything on having a massive year and going almost completely injury-free in 2015 or, at the most generous, 2016.  After that we've got all sorts of problems.

You are making a massive assumption that all the old guys are on the park at once.

I'm sure they will be rotated.

Even if they are - so what?  We rotate one of them out every single week it only means we get to squeeze one kid (or more likely, Melksham) in to the 22 per game.  We have probably a dozen guys in need of senior experience, and they aren't going to get it.  Some of them will probably look to leave the club because of it, under the new 'contracts mean nothing' AFL paradigm.

The club is betting everything on a pair of 5s.  We're stocking up heavily on ageing recycled guys while our own midfield core is ageing too, and trying to cobble a flag together by topping up even though we have no tall depth and the whole push could be utterly miserably derailed by a couple of injuries to the wrong blokes (where would we be if Hooker did a knee, for instance?  We have absolutely no cover for him worth the name).  And while we shoot for this particular rainbow, we've got a generation of younger guys running around in the 2s not getting the senior experience they'll need if we're going to be a serious flag threat during the NEXT window, while Zaka/Hooker/Hurley/Belly are in their primes.

The structure of our list at the moment scares the crap out of me.  House of cards.

As opposed to the structure of the Hawthorn list, which had 5 players over 30 when it won the grand final. The Hawks also had Cheney and Schoenmakers spending signficant time in key defensive posts.

And someone like Langford coming in from nowhere to take Sewell's spot. If our young players improve they will demand a spot in the team and will improve the performance of the club. I have no doubt that one or two of Ashby, Jerrett, Browne, Hams, Aylett, Edwards, Fantasia or O'Brien will have a break out season next year and become locks in the best 22. 

I'm bullish.

So who will take which numbers?

1 Michael Hibberd
    2 Tom Bellchambers
    3 Paul Chapman
    4 Jobe Watson (c)
    5 Brent Stanton
    6 Joe Daniher
    9 Brendon Goddard
    10 Nick O'Brien
    11 David Zaharakis
    12 Mark Baguley
    14 Jason Ashby
    15 Courtenay Dempsey
    16 Tayte Pears
    17 Jake Melksham
    18 Michael Hurley
    19 Shaun Edwards
    20 Jackson Merrett
    21 Dyson Heppell
    22 Jake Carlisle
    23 David Myers

24 Alex BrowneCruz Roja.svg
    26 Cale Hooker
    27 Zach Merrett
    28 Elliott Kavanagh
    30 Paddy Ryder
    31 Dustin Fletcher (vet)
    32 Travis Colyer
    33 Dylan Van Unen
    34 Kyle Hardingham
    35 Martin Gleeson
    36 Lauchlan Dalgleish
    37 Sean Gregory
    38 Nick Kommer
    39 Heath Hocking (vc)
    40 Ben Howlett
    41 Will Hams
    43 Kurt Aylett
    46 Orazio Fantasia

29 Cory Dell'Olio
    44 Fraser Thurlow
    45 Johnny Rayner
    47 Patrick AmbroseArrow-up.png

Winders to get 8 I reckon.

Bags       Hooker Fletcher/Gwilt

Hibberd   Hurley  Gleeson

Zaka        Jobe     Cooney

Goddard Carlisle  Colyer

Winders   Joey D  Kommer

T Bell     Heps   Zerrett

Chappy  Myers  Dempsey  Stanton/Melksham

^ What I'd like to see rather than what is perhaps our best 22 

Ideally would have the likes of Kav, Jackson Merrett, Alex Browne and one of our first 2 picks come through at the expense of some of the older and slower guys

Edit: see that I forgot Hocking and Howlett, very difficult to determine what our best side will be

Very worrying that we have such an ageing list, desperately need the youth to develop but hard to see where opportunities will come from

So who will take which numbers?

1 Michael Hibberd
    2 Tom Bellchambers
    3 Paul Chapman
    4 Jobe Watson (c)
    5 Brent Stanton
    6 Joe Daniher
    9 Brendon Goddard
    10 Nick O'Brien
    11 David Zaharakis
    12 Mark Baguley
    14 Jason Ashby
    15 Courtenay Dempsey
    16 Tayte Pears
    17 Jake Melksham
    18 Michael Hurley
    19 Shaun Edwards
    20 Jackson Merrett
    21 Dyson Heppell
    22 Jake Carlisle
    23 David Myers

24 Alex BrowneCruz Roja.svg
    26 Cale Hooker
    27 Zach Merrett
    28 Elliott Kavanagh
    30 Paddy Ryder
    31 Dustin Fletcher (vet)
    32 Travis Colyer
    33 Dylan Van Unen
    34 Kyle Hardingham
    35 Martin Gleeson
    36 Lauchlan Dalgleish
    37 Sean Gregory
    38 Nick Kommer
    39 Heath Hocking (vc)
    40 Ben Howlett
    41 Will Hams
    43 Kurt Aylett
    46 Orazio Fantasia

29 Cory Dell'Olio
    44 Fraser Thurlow
    45 Johnny Rayner
    47 Patrick AmbroseArrow-up.png

Winders to get 8 I reckon.

Big call that. There‘s a better candidate for ranga #10.

bring in two of benfti picks and we are set

cockatoo plz

Lol at Myers on bench. He would get as much interest as ryder on the open market.

To become a grader next 2 years.

This ... but I think with a fully fit list our best 22;
Out = Stants, Ambrose
In = Howlett, Giles
Super Sub = Coondawg
Emergency = Gwilt
Gwilt to be used to nurse Fletch through the season only - if opposition doesn't have a 3rd tall fwd we omit both to play one of Gleeson/Ashby/Dalgleish at CHB or on the wing.
Dont think we can play all of Chappy, Licka or Coondawg on the same day as we shouldnt drop Zaka or Howlett if they're fit - they will be there once Licka & Chappy retire. I think Colyer and Kommer will be formidable little mozzies too at the feet of Joey, Jake and Jono!
Coondawg to be the super sub if either Colyer, Zaka, Howlett, Chappy or even Belle/Giles are not impacting.
Lid off!!!

As much as he had an absolute barry crocker of a 2014 I have really high hopes that Jake Melksham can become the player we have seen in glimpses so far, especially in the second half of 2013. Hird can get the best out of him. Fingers crossed.

The final against North has excited me to follow Joey D's progress as a player too. It was a pretty decent performance for a 20 year old in his first final.

In an overall sense though, sadly I think we are treading water.

B. baguley hooker fletcher
hb hibberd Hurley Goddard
C cooney Watson colyer
Hf zaharakis daniher winderlich
F chapman Carlisle zerrett
R bellchambers heppell hocking
Int Myers Stanton howlett kommer
Emg Gwilt Giles melksham
Depth fantasia Ambrose gleeson jerrett ashby pears McKenna kav, pick 17&20,