Practice match v Dees Casey Fields Friday 21 Feb 2020 @ 2pm

Hi All! This is my first comment on blitz but I’m a long time Essendon supporter and member. Great to see the boys get a win to today. Also, Happy Birthday to Mark Mercuri, my all time favourite Essendon player.

50 Likes

Thanks @TheBobcat. Welcome and I loved you in Police Academy

13 Likes

WTF

think I said it last year… for last year of course but hey I still said it!!

Cutler sorry already answered

1 Like

This thread gets more amusing every year.

1 Like

More at this scratch match in Casey on a work day, than at the Dome last night.

6 Likes

LOL Clash jumper in a practice match. WT?

2 Likes

Lucky that no. 49 plays for us rather than Hawthorn. That imbecile clarkson would have him shot for wearing long sleeves!!

Let me clarify that.

On occasions Langford I thought held on to the ball a little too long when good options were available leading to a poor choice or rushed disposal. If he can get the balance right this may well turn out to be a weapon of his but at the moment often it’s not.

Ham in comparison on a few occasions received the ball when running and rather than rushing a quick kick he took extra time to compose himself and get off a much better quality kick even though he knew it would mean he would take a solid hit.

It’s all about the end result.

16 Likes

Great to hear Brayden Ham’ s continued development. I really like him as a player. Balanced, good kick, good overhead, runs to the right spots and seems an intelligent footballer. His ‘upside’ to use that grating footy vernacular is pretty huge given his physical development scope.

4 Likes

@nackers or anyone else there, can you let me know whether Laverde was that good or was he just beating up on smaller vfl opponents like he tends to?

Lav was really good I thought. Some of his marks were very strong pack marks against multiple opponents, and he used his size and strength well all game both offensively and defensively.

More importantly to me he was using one of his best assets of a big leap and really attacking the ball in a contest in the air.

I have no idea of who the players were he was playing on but all you can do is beat the players you’re up against.

18 Likes

Fark. Over 1000 posts for a practice match. The real match threads must be epic!

9 Likes

Great reporting guys. I know it’s only a scratch match but I am actually far from unhappy.

Really excited to hear about Lav’s performance. If he can carry this through the preseason & consistently present, mark, kick goals & cause headaches for the opposition I would ply him round 1 along side Smack, Stringer. This is his best position. Without doubt. Forget him as a mid. His contested marking is what is going to make him a player.

Excited for continued excitement of Ham. Can he replace Mckeena in need ? We may have no choice, even if undersized. Impressive player who will play a lot of snr footy for us, quality. Aside from size there is not much to dislike with him. Could be a star.

Mcbride. Sensational. Wow - pls play him & Zerk next week together.

Do others think he can play senior footy this year? Ok maybe I’m getting a bit far ahead right now thinking it could be possible. His development could be a massive boon for the club.
Great work from Parish & Mcgrath.

It makes a huge diff having a Ruck that palms the ball to advantage! Need to tidy up the entries into F50.

Not unhappy or mad about yesterday’s performance. Might have to change my name to “not unhappy Bomber” lol

5 Likes

11 Likes

I presume The Flash Irishman didn’t play.

Just from the highlights his set shot routine looked better. Better run up and more balanced on release.

Just some of the little things we’d been working on together :stuck_out_tongue:

Traffic was shocking

1 Like

and he’s a cutie. :slightly_smiling_face: