Pre-Final Bye to Stay

That’s why I like the bye round…

I don’t like it simply fine the club for resting player

Helps those who finish 8 to 5 disadvantages the top 4

I liked it. I reckon it builds the finals up.

Makes it harder to win from the top 4 I reckon. Not sure that’s the right outcome.

Must admit, I loved the bye weekend. And there's talk the brownlow night will be moved to the bye weekend as well.

I don’t doubt that a lot of people liked it. But plenty don’t like it as well.

However the main issue is that it compromises the integrity of the finals series.

Surely the AFL should be concerned primarily with the integrity of the game over anything else. Right? Right?

Riiiiight!

Coaches hate it. Players hate it. Fans hate it.

AFL keeps it anyway.

Typical

The media broadcaster’s loved it and that’s what changed his mind.

To me this just proves that the actual game is just a sideshow of the AFL money making machine…who cares that it has clearly disadvantaged the teams finishing higher on the ladder (win your first final and line up for a prelim having played one game in the last almost 4 weeks)…as long as the media, sponsors etc are happy.

Fark the AFL

Makes it harder to win from the top 4 I reckon. Not sure that's the right outcome.
Screw any side that is good enough to finish top 4.
Makes it harder to win from the top 4 I reckon. Not sure that's the right outcome.
Screw any side that is good enough to finish top 4.

Ha.

See i disagree with everybody here and I don’t believe it diminishes the chances of the top four. If this was the case, then teams wouldn’t rest their players for the final game like they have been. Ironically by doing this, it created the need for this bye round.

I am a fan of it. I think we saw the highest quality finals series we have had in a whiile. Great hard footy. Certainly worth trying again

Don’t think it makes it harder to win from the top 4, but it makes it easier to win from outside the top 4.

I’m still on the fence about it.

I can see positives for keeping or removing.

Teams will not be resting players anymore!

idgaf

The biggest momentum killer isn’t necessarily the bye but playing clapped out Richmond, Brisbane or Melbourne 2016 style teams in the last couple of rounds prior to the finals. I heard a fixturing snippet yesterday with M Evans suggesting a play each other once until round 17 start to the season, then a rivalry game, Sydney V GWS, Essendon v fark Carlton for example, then the remaining 5x rounds to be tussled out between the then top 6, the mid six and the bottom 6. If this were to eventuate then the top 4 should be competing against the other best performing sides in the lead up to the finals rather than just strolling through a 100+ pounding without raising a sweat. Don’t mind the idea.

footnote Obviously there is the potential for rivalry teams to play in round 18 then again before round 23 depending on standings at the completion of round 17 resulting in the possibility of teams playing each other up to 3x during the home + away rounds. This will need to be addressed but as a spectator I wouldn’t mind seeing the best sides go at it a few times.

Meh. don’t think it’s going to effect us too much

I am a fan of it. I think we saw the highest quality finals series we have had in a whiile. Great hard footy. Certainly worth trying again
One swallow doesn't make a summer.
One swallow doesn't make a summer.

There was this one summer when I was 18…

Don’t think it makes it harder to win from the top 4, but it makes it easier to win from outside the top 4.

But that is a contradiction.

Meh. don't think it's going to effect us too much

Just will give the boys an extra week off before going on to get the Cup!