Pre-Final Bye to Stay

I am a fan of it. I think we saw the highest quality finals series we have had in a whiile. Great hard footy. Certainly worth trying again
One swallow doesn't make a summer.

would certainly be the highlight of my summer

The biggest momentum killer isn't necessarily the bye but playing clapped out Richmond, Brisbane or Melbourne 2016 style teams in the last couple of rounds prior to the finals. I heard a fixturing snippet yesterday with M Evans suggesting a play each other once until round 17 start to the season, then a rivalry game, Sydney V GWS, Essendon v fark Carlton for example, then the remaining 5x rounds to be tussled out between the then top 6, the mid six and the bottom 6. If this were to eventuate then the top 4 should be competing against the other best performing sides in the lead up to the finals rather than just strolling through a 100+ pounding without raising a sweat. Don't mind the idea.

footnote Obviously there is the potential for rivalry teams to play in round 18 then again before round 23 depending on standings at the completion of round 17 resulting in the possibility of teams playing each other up to 3x during the home + away rounds. This will need to be addressed but as a spectator I wouldn’t mind seeing the best sides go at it a few times.

If they did that then there would have to be a proviso that no team can move outside the group of 6 that they are in after round of 17. If you could, then it would be better to finish 7th than 6th.

The biggest momentum killer isn't necessarily the bye but playing clapped out Richmond, Brisbane or Melbourne 2016 style teams in the last couple of rounds prior to the finals. I heard a fixturing snippet yesterday with M Evans suggesting a play each other once until round 17 start to the season, then a rivalry game, Sydney V GWS, Essendon v fark Carlton for example, then the remaining 5x rounds to be tussled out between the then top 6, the mid six and the bottom 6. If this were to eventuate then the top 4 should be competing against the other best performing sides in the lead up to the finals rather than just strolling through a 100+ pounding without raising a sweat. Don't mind the idea.

footnote Obviously there is the potential for rivalry teams to play in round 18 then again before round 23 depending on standings at the completion of round 17 resulting in the possibility of teams playing each other up to 3x during the home + away rounds. This will need to be addressed but as a spectator I wouldn’t mind seeing the best sides go at it a few times.

If they did that then there would have to be a proviso that no team can move outside the group of 6 that they are in after round of 17. If you could, then it would be better to finish 7th than 6th.

Totally agree. I kind of like the idea in general, but it sucks for the bottom 6 teams. The top 6 are playing for the double chance, the middle 6 are playing for 2 spots in the finals, the bottom 6 might as well just have a sausage sizzle and pack it in early.

Meh. don't think it's going to effect us too much

Just will give the boys an extra week off before going on to get the Cup!

Caulfield?

The bye is annoying and just drags out the season. Just head straight into the finals and be done with it. The first final I watched in full was the Grand Final. Apart from that I wouldn’t have watched a quarter.

potential to introduce finals wildcards.
NO
I am a fan of it. I think we saw the highest quality finals series we have had in a whiile. Great hard footy. Certainly worth trying again
I wonder if the Bulldogs would have won without the bye? Might reckon it was the best thing since sliced bread with cup in hand.