Pre-game discussion: Essendon v Brisbane Lions

In: Carlisle, Cooney and Chapman Out: Langford, Ashby and Gleeson (rest)

Zaharakis the following week.

And leave us with Carlisle/Joe/Smack and Ambrose fwd?
Do you think we can get away with that?

I don’t get the continual insistence that Ambrose is our 3rd tall forward. Ambrose is 185 cm and very mobile. Even Crameri was taller at 189cm. Playing Smack at 196cm plus 2 genuine talls has to be part of the game plan for certain teams, I would have thought that Etihad is the perfect stadium for it.

I don't get the continual insistence that Ambrose is our 3rd tall forward. Ambrose is 185 cm and very mobile. Even Crameri was taller at 189cm.
Argh, not this one again. Crameri is maybe just barely his quoted 186cm, and Ambrose is actually 192 and obviously more than the quoted 77kg too.

We’re f@rked

It'll be interesting to see what happens. Cooney and chappy were given an extra week to be cautious.

Yet blind freddy can see Carlisle and Zaka have been struggling prodominately due to injury, so shouldn’t the same cautious approach be taken with them ? I’m betting it’s not though.

Stanton, Hibberd and probably howlett need to be dropped, but they won’t, if any or all of the 4 suggested come back in, it’ll be for guys like
Langford
Gleeson
Jmerrett
Mckernan.

I thought Howlett was ok after coming on as sub? I actually prefer him in this role to be honest
What did you see differently?
Hibbo has been very average I’ll agree

I think there is a real chance that we could bottom out this year. It is a close season and our inconsistency could easily have us finishing bottom 4. This may be what we need, we have effectively finished 8th in the last 4 years and haven’t improved. MaY Need to go down and get better picks in draft.

We're f@rked

tanking for draft picks, gonna trade for draft picks and get 8 of the top 40 kids. not a single small forward though and about 4 half-back flanks.

I’m just hoping to see continual improvement. Run from behind was better. Hoping to see forwards leading to the ball carrier and not just that get out kick to the pocket everytime.

I’d like to Dempsey tried as a forward is good overhead, speedy can play the defensive role as well. Hope his hammy is ok

We can fit in all the talls

Normal set up

FF- Carslile Daniher Not a tall
HF- Not a tall Mckernan Ambrose

Daniher plays in the traditional FF role leading from the goal sqaure, Carslile plays in a forward pocket making his leads from the pockets but not going past half forward.

McKernan starts at CHF and making his leads from about 30 out crashing through the middle all the way to CHB, on the other end we have Ambrose pushing up on the wing

When Belly rests

FF- Belly Carslile Not a tall
HF- Not a tall Ambrose Daniher

Carslile leading out of the goal square and Bellchambers resting in the pocket, we then push Joe to half forward and let him lead up on the wing as he does enjoy that and might need a break from the congestion. Also changes the dynamics of the forward structure. Ambrose moves to CHF and pushes through the middle assisting breaking packs with Smack needing some assistance while rucking undersized.

The key elements are the smalls around and if we have Chapman and Cooney back we can use them with the Merrett boys to our advantage.

This is completely possible and just requires better delivery into the forward half. The key to improvement is playing to the strengths of the players.

Do it Hirdy

In: Chapman, Cooney, Carlise

Out: Ashby, Jerrett, Langford

We played well on the weekend. You add that kind of experience and class to a team that is finally taking the game on and we’ll smash the Lions.

I have a bad feel about this game

I feel like Brisbane will play on confidence. Get on top early and they will fold. Give them a sniff and Zorko/Green will be everywhere.

We can fit in all the talls

Normal set up

FF- Carslile Daniher Not a tall
HF- Not a tall Mckernan Ambrose

Daniher plays in the traditional FF role leading from the goal sqaure, Carslile plays in a forward pocket making his leads from the pockets but not going past half forward.

McKernan starts at CHF and making his leads from about 30 out crashing through the middle all the way to CHB, on the other end we have Ambrose pushing up on the wing

When Belly rests

FF- Belly Carslile Not a tall
HF- Not a tall Ambrose Daniher

Carslile leading out of the goal square and Bellchambers resting in the pocket, we then push Joe to half forward and let him lead up on the wing as he does enjoy that and might need a break from the congestion. Also changes the dynamics of the forward structure. Ambrose moves to CHF and pushes through the middle assisting breaking packs with Smack needing some assistance while rucking undersized.

The key elements are the smalls around and if we have Chapman and Cooney back we can use them with the Merrett boys to our advantage.

This is completely possible and just requires better delivery into the forward half. The key to improvement is playing to the strengths of the players.

Do it Hirdy

The problem though with the 4 “talls” set up is the opposition run out of our forward line- once the ball goes to ground (which will more than likely be the case with our disposal to our forwards), it’s like Sherman tanks chasing a Jaguar…

Saints did it as did Norf - many attacks launched from their HB line with quick play and overlap handballs…

I actually think we are a pretty decent side that has had an exceptionally hard draw.

Despite the carry on about how bad we are we’re pretty much where we expected ourselves to be at this stage.

Good sides are getting beaten. Today collingwood and port. Hawks geelong and Sydney hsve all been beaten by sides below them.

Our draw opens up which will set us up for the second half of the year.

We will win Sunday.

I’m happy that the Lions have had a big win. no chance of them taking us by surprise and after our loss this past weekend, we will be fired up.
It won’t be a massive win but we’ll get a win at least!

Brisbane today pulled their one major upset from their backsides this year - and luckily it wasn’t against us. On the basis of today’s result I’m confident we’ll win next week. No way will they back-up today’s effort.

No cotton wool players next weekend, just pure grunt players required.

We need to win contested footy and our forward line like this weekend needs to be reinvented.

Brisbane today pulled their one major upset from their backsides this year - and luckily it wasn't against us. On the basis of today's result I'm confident we'll win next week. No way will they back-up today's effort.

Tend to agree.

Strangely I am more confident of next week now that they have a big win than if they had had a big loss.

The extra 2 days break will be significant as they had to travel.

Feel sorry for Judas…not

Don’t see the point of bringing Chappy and Cooney in for a game against Brisbane.
Out: Langford (if injured), Daniher
In: Edwards, Carlisle

Suggestions of dropping Daniher are mental